1 2 3 4 Previous Next 138 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2011 12:58 PM by Jeffrey Tranberry RSS

Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

/forrest/ Community Member

Hello,

I've been having an intermittent issue with dragging layers.  in the layers pallet - ps crashes

It was doing this in CS3, and the started in CS4. Here's part of the crash report -

Thread 0 Crashed:

0   com.apple.QD                  0x9129a288 PRBXPatXorRunMask + 308

1   com.apple.QD                  0x912724a0 DevFrameRect + 568

2   com.apple.QD                  0x91272250 FrameRect + 48

3   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x006fe82c 0x1000 + 7329836

4   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x006f5eb8 0x1000 + 7294648

5   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x00451190 0x1000 + 4522384

6   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0008d238 0x1000 + 574008

7   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0008d7fc 0x1000 + 575484

8   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0008099c 0x1000 + 522652

9   com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0008d034 0x1000 + 573492

10  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0007fab0 0x1000 + 518832

11  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x000828d0 0x1000 + 530640

12  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x00082b54 0x1000 + 531284

13  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0084500c 0x1000 + 8667148

14  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x0007fe58 0x1000 + 519768

15  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x002c26d4 0x1000 + 2889428

16  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x002c2b0c 0x1000 + 2890508

17  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x00003d78 0x1000 + 11640

18  com.adobe.Photoshop           0x00003a7c 0x1000 + 10876

I'm running this on a 10.5.6ppc machine.

Thanks.

PS. Anyone having issues with this forum software? I was running spell check and got this big blank box covering up a bunch of the message area.

• 1. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
          Community Member

you have not supplied any useful info.

• 2. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Sorry, I thought that would have been enough info. What else would you like to know?

I'm running 11.0.1. Adobe Updater shows no available updates. I don't have any third-party plugins installed except for a scanner driver (and it has been installed since CS2.) No haxies installed. The boot drive has 115GB free, the scratch disk has 103GB free.

• 3. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
              Community Member

the machine you are using? the amount of RAM you have? how much of it is being used by PS?

do you have this problem in a new user?

• 4. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                Ramón G Castañeda Community Member

Please read this post by a forum host for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0  Thanks!

• 5. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Thanks. I actually spent some time looking for a thread or sticky like that but didn't check the windows section...

Let's see, I've got 4.5GB RAM, 2150MB allocated to PS. As far as how much it's using at the time of the crash, I'm not sure. Radeon 9650.

I was thinking the crash report would be helpful, but I guess not. I thought there might be some sort of obvious thing you guys would know about after looking at that. It's apparent that's not the case, so I'll try some other troubleshooting options like creating a new user.

• 6. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

/forrest/ wrote:

I was thinking the crash report would be helpful, but I guess not.

Few of us are qualified to read a crash report, but the Adobe engineers who do need the entire crash report, not just the few lines you pasted here.  Don't try pasting a whole crash report here, just make sure it gets sent to Adobe and/or Apple when the crash actually happens.

• 7. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

/forrest/ wrote:

… I've got 4.5GB RAM, 2150MB allocated to PS.

With 4.5 GB try setting the allowance to 70% or even 80%.  Don't bother quoting absolute numbers, they change dynamically all the time, it's not a static figure.  You are just allowing (not allocating) Photoshop to use up to that percentage of available memory at any given time, after the OS and any other running applications have taken what they need.

More meaningful would be to know how much available space you have on your boot drive and whether you have a dedicated, physically separate drive designated as your primary scratch disk drive, etc.

• 8. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Few of us are qualified to read a crash report, but the Adobe engineers who do need the entire crash report, not just the few lines you pasted here.  Don't try pasting a whole crash report here, just make sure it gets sent to Adobe and/or Apple when the crash actually happens.

Thanks. With other software I've been able to just provide the thread that crashed and get feedback.

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

With 4.5 GB try setting the allowance to 70% or even 80%.  Don't bother quoting absolute numbers, they change dynamically all the time, it's not a static figure.  You are just allowing (not allocating) Photoshop to use up to that percentage of available memory at any given time, after the OS and any other running applications have taken what they need.

Understood. I've never seen the figure change so I was assuming it doesn't. The 2150 figure is 70%.

More meaningful would be to know how much available space you have on your boot drive and whether you have a dedicated, physically separate drive designated as your primary scratch disk drive, etc.

As I mentioned above, the boot drive has 115GB free, the scratch disk has 103GB free. In addition, the drive designated as the scratch disk is also the drive that has the working files on it.

Thanks.

PS. I do have quite a bit of experience with Macs and Photoshop. My post count here doesn't seem to show I've been here much... looks like after the forum change my post count reset.

• 9. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Perhaps I've missed it, but I still don't know which Mac you have or what exact version of the OS you're running.

(I would not venture any more guesses if you have a laptop or an iMac, or if you're running Leopard.)

• 10. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

/forrest/ wrote:

PS. I do have quite a bit of experience with Macs and Photoshop. My post count here doesn't seem to show I've been here much... looks like after the forum change my post count reset.

Don't worry about the silly post count; I don't even see it—ever.  I have it blocked in Firefox for all users, as well as avatars, red status level indicator bars, points, answer bar, Top Participants and More Like This boxes, and all such nonsense.

Adobe Forums aaaa.jpeg

• 11. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                              Community Member

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Please read this post by a forum host for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0 Thanks!

Ramon this goes to an error page. at least it does for me.

• 12. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

I mentioned 10.5.6 ppc in my initial post but it's clear the details you're asking for are spread out over multiple posts, so I'll put them all here too (and a bit extra).

CPU: G5 dual 2.7Ghz - usually runs around 70°C

RAM: 4.5GB (has all passed memtest) - 70% allocated to PS

Disks: 250GB 16MB Boot drive - 115GB free

320GB 16MB Data drive for files and scratch disk - 103GB free

GPU: Radeon 9650 256MB - 24" LCD connected to DVI, 24" LCD connected via VGA KVM

No other hardware installed

Epson Perfection 2450 Scanner plugged in via FW

HP LJ 1200 Printer plugged in via USB

Stock Apple keyboard

Logitech mouse

Computer is connected to a UPS with AVR. Batteries are fairly new.

Other than swapping out a CRT for one of the LCDs, I haven't made any hardware changes in years. I had CS3 installed for at least a year before I started having the problem.

History States is set to 10, Cache Levels 4

I have CS4 Design Premium. I can't think of any changes I've made to the stock install.

On a side note, is the AdobeCrashDaemon supposed to run all of the time?

• 13. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

by Buko wrote:

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Please read this post by a forum host for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0 Thanks!

It worked yesterday. Take the URL variable off (?tstart-0) and it works again.

• 14. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

by Buko wrote:

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Must have been a momentary glitch in your system, Buko.  It's working fine here:

Adobeforums xeff.jpg

• 15. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

I can confirm that I have a similar crashing issue. It happens most often when PS has been in the background for a long time or when the computer has been asleep.

I have had this behavoir on 2 computers. One a Mac Book Pro and the second a 2008 Mac Pro (just a month old atm). 4gb on the MacBook Pro and 16gb on the Mac Pro.

I have just turned off Open GL and I hope that fixes the issue.

Sorry it is not more detailed, but I wanted to chime in and say I have crashes when moving layers in the layer palette as well.

• 16. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                        Community Member

I just don't let my computer sleep. Sleep and Photoshop just don't seem to play nice. Never have really.

• 17. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                          Community Member

An interesting idea, but this should only be a stop gap measure, I am not a crazy environmentalist but I can not see having my Mac Pro with up to 5 hard drives running all the time sucking down electricity. I have some automated backup action happening at midnight so turning it off is not an ideal option.

• 18. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

I've never let my computer sleep. I concur that I have seen sleep be the source of many issues, but in this case the problem occurs even if the machine has not been put to sleep.

• 19. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                              Gyno-jiz Community Member

There's a difference between your hard drives spinning down and your computer sleeping.

• 20. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Eric,

I understand your position, but the reality is that letting the computer sleep can and does cause problems.  Blame Apple, but there's nothing you or I can do about it.

I just let the monitors sleep, never the drives or the computer.

• 21. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

It's a bit of a moot point as in this case, it is NOT the issue. This machine is not set to sleep, nor are the drives set to spin down.

It just crashed again... here's the first part of the crash report that I didn't post before.

Process:         Adobe Photoshop CS4 [28598]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4

Identifier:      com.adobe.Photoshop

Version:         11.0.1 (11.0.1x20090216 [20090216.r.522 2009/02/16:17:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) (11.0.1)

Code Type:       PPC (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [130]

Date/Time:       2009-04-16 17:04:30.512 -0700

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)

Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000096f69a8

Crashed Thread:  0

• 22. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                                    McMillions

Ok guys, let's address the issue instead of going on and on about the forum semantics, searching, etc, and the especially unhelpful comments about how "you shouldn't do that," when we're talking about completely normal things like computers being put to sleep. It's part of today's workflow. It's like the old joke about the patient saying "It hurts when I cough," and the doctor replies "Don't cough, then."

____

Yes, forrest, I have had this problem as well. It's gotten to the point where I don't even like to drag layers up and down the layer palette, as a crash can occur. Like many, I save my files a lot, but it's still very frustrating.

I'm working in CS3 on a G5 dual 2.7ghz with 8 gigs of RAM, second internal harddrive used as scratch, Leopard (latest update, but the crash has occurred the release of CS3). Cintiq 21ux monitor. Level of Photoshop experience: since it was beta with the photobooth icon on my Mac IIcx.

I've isolated it down to a few things.

I think it has something to do with Spaces and Exposé, putting the computer to sleep, and how long Photoshop has been interacting with these elements. Does that coincide with any of your usage habits?

I really wish it would be noticed and addressed by Adobe, and I had hoped it would have been resolved in CS4, but I was really disappointed when I saw you had been getting the same crash with CS4.

I'm about to jump over to that package and this was one of the main "features" I was hoping would be removed!

• 23. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

McMillions wrote:

…the patient saying "It hurts when I cough," and the doctor replies "Don't cough, then."

Precisely.

You seem to be under the misconception that you're addressing either Adobe or Apple here.  You are not.

All we can do as users is to point to workaround and solutions that will save you grief.  What you do with that advice is entirely up to you.

• 24. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                                        Reynolds (Mark) Community Member

Just try to ignore the unhelpful comments folks

I don't have any third-party plugins installed except for a scanner driver

My best guess - its the scanner driver. I've used Leopard and CS4 now on probaby 8 different machines, in different studios with different setups - and I've never seen this issue you describe, of crashing when moving layers. More specifically 10.5.6 is fine also, I assure you. Never had any problems with Expose at all. Spaces certainly don't cause application crashes, although there are a few relatively minor screen refresh issues with this.

Also as a side point, athough not as likely to be the cause, make sure you have run maintenance routines INCLUDING scripts. If you have never done any of this before, download Onyx http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

• 25. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                                          Community Member

Photoshop and ID do not play with spaces Chris Cox has stated this. It is something to do with the way Apple has setup spaces, so Adobe can do nothing about it.

• 26. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

They don't play WELL with spaces, true, its an interface redrawing issue only. Its a very minor problem, and is caused only if you have spaces ON and then, try to move from one space to another. Easily solvable by pressing the F key three times. But it certainly doesn't cause anything as serious as application crashes.

• 27. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                                              Chris Cox Adobe Employee

I believe you'll find that this crash happens only on MacOS 10.5.x, and not on MacOS 10.4.x.

I think it's related to a couple of bugs we've filed with Apple, and are awaiting fixes for.

• 28. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                                                McMillions Community Member

Chris, that could be really helpful. I'm glad it's on the radar.

• 29. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                                                  I believe you'll find that this crash happens only on MacOS 10.5.x, and not on MacOS 10.4.x.

Well I take it all back then. Still not entirely convinced, because I've never seen this instability in all the months I've been running Leopard using CS4. On different machines too.

• 30. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Chris Cox wrote:

I think it's related to a couple of bugs we've filed with Apple, and are awaiting fixes for.

Just another one in a multitude of reasons why I stay away from Leopard, even though I do have a legitimate install disc sitting on the shelf and a Leopard OS install on a partition of my fourth internal HD.

• 31. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                                                      Photoshop and ID do not play with spaces

Honestly beginning to look to me, more like Photoshop team not playing with Apple. More like that than anything else.

• 32. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer
                                                                        Chris Cox Adobe Employee

No, the most likely explanation is that Apple does not want to fix bugs in Spaces that involve any app not made by Apple.

(the more you know about them, the more likely that becomes)

• 33. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

I use Spaces. I've noticed a number of issues in CS3 and CS4 with spaces (pallets going away, turning gray...) I didn't think this crashing issue would be related.

I'm really disappointed CS4 doesn't work with Spaces. The #1 reason I bought CS4 was because some of the bugs reported in CS3 were scheduled to be fixed in CS4. However, they haven't been. Alas, I think I'm pretty much SOL. As noted, the machine I'm using this on is a G5. Snow Leopard is Intel only, so if this is indeed an Apple issue (and after some research on Mr. Cox he probably one of the top 10 most knowledgeable people on this subject) then there's probably no hope for this issue short of buying a new computer and waiting for Snow Leopard.

Spaces still saves me more time than restarting PS, so I guess I'll have to live with the crashing and other bugs.

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Cox, it's much appreciated. At least now I have a bit more of a definitive answer.

• 34. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

/forrest/ wrote:

then there's probably no hope for this issue short of buying a new computer and waiting for Snow Leopard.

Don't overlook the most obvious and prudent solution:  revert to Tiger on your G5.

/forrest/ wrote:

Spaces still saves me more time than restarting PS

????   Why would you need to restart Ps?

• 35. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Don't overlook the most obvious and prudent solution:  revert to Tiger on your G5.

As I noted, Spaces saves me a lot of time.

????   Why would you need to restart Ps?

I restart it after it crashes so I can continue using it.

To reiterate and expand on what I said before, I have no interest in reverting to an older OS that doesn't offer the features I use and some that I need at this point. No, I don't enjoy the PS crashing nor the other issues with Creative Suite and Spaces. However, those issues less of a nuisance than the features in Leopard which I use that don't exist in Tiger.

• 36. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Then go ahead and keep crashing. Or pay the Apple tax (get new computer).

Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I need no additional features beyond what Panther offers.  I run Tiger only because CS4 does not run on Panther, but I have disabled Spotblight and the Dashboard permanently.  If I were forced to run Leopard, I would additionally disable QuckView, Spaces and Time Machine.

• 37. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Ridiculous. People outright condemning a fine Operating System, they have no experience of.

Thinking this through again, I think these issues, and the bug that Chris Cox refers to, may possibly be confined to trying to run 10.5 on the older Power PC macs? I'm making the assumption, because this is the only clear difference between the posters setup, and the most of the machines I have run Leopard on. I do now remember using 10.5 on a ppc mac in April, and experiencing a few strange App crashes there, but  can't remember now what seemed to be causing these.

I guess if this is true, it does mean after all that Leopard is problematic for some

• 38. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

This entire thread has become ridiculous. People bludgeoning an Operating System they have never bothered to use.

Thinking this through again, I think these issues, and the bug that Chris Cox refers to, may possibly be confined to trying to run 10.5 on Power PC macs. I'm making this assumption, because this is the only clear difference between the posters setup, and the many machines I have run Leopard on. I do now remember using 10.5 on one ppc mac in April, and experiencing a few strange crashes, but  can't remember now what seemed to be causing these.

All nothing to do with Spaces.

I hear ya on on the direction of this thread. I've been trying to ignore the noise.

Are you saying that Intel machines you use do use Spaces, or do not? Thanks for clarifying that.

• 39. Re: Photoshop crashes when dragging a layer

Yes I have spaces turned on, and use it occasionally. Two spaces only. Like I said earlier the way to resolve the disappearing panel issue, is to just tap F three times. Very few crashes these days, only one or two on massive size files 2gig or more

1 2 3 4 Previous Next