• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to allow embedded videos to go fullscreen

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just getting started with Captivate, and have created a screencast that will be embedded into a website. I am trying to get a fullscreen option similar to Youtube and other popular video services (user clicks fullscreen on the list of playback controls and it goes full, with Escape to go back to the browser window with embedded version).

Using the exported HTML, I have added the "allowfullscreen" parameter:

<div id="CaptivateContent"> 
    </div>
    <script type="text/javascript">
       var so = new SWFObject("untitled.swf", "Captivate", "800", "631", "9", "#CCCCCC");
        so.addParam("quality", "high");
        so.addParam("name", "Captivate");
        so.addParam("id", "Captivate");
        so.addParam("wmode", "window");
        so.addParam("bgcolor","#F1F4F5");
        so.addParam("menu", "false");
        so.addParam("allowfullscreen", "true");
        so.addVariable("variable1", "value1");
        so.setAttribute("redirectUrl", "http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash");
        so.write("CaptivateContent");
    </script>

<script type="text/javascript">
        document.getElementById('Captivate').focus();
        document.Captivate.focus();
    </script>

But alas, it seems to be ignoring the parameter altogether.  So I tried this method:

<embed src="untitled.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Still no love.  I've been doing lots of web searching and have read the help but can't find anything relevant to Captivate, only to Flash itself.  I can't imagine fullscreen viewing not being a feature of the program, so the problem must be the user.  What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hmmm, I've never seen a Captivate that was presented that way. I'm not sure the development team ever considered this.

Perhaps this will help in understanding a possible reason.

Typical Flash movies are created using vector based images. As I understand it, vector based images use computer instructions to draw the image. This means it does not suffer a bit on the quality side at any size it is presented.

On the other hand, Captivate stores everything in a Flash format, but as Raster or Bitmapped images. With a bitmapped image, you simply have a mosaic of picture elements (pixels) that when viewed together compose the image. If the image is presented at a different size than intended, the quality will suffer. The degree to which it suffers is dependent upon how large the difference is between the original or intended size and the current size. Make it smaller and things get "fuzzy" or "blurry". Make it larger and you get something called "the jaggies" as blocky pixels are added in to compensate.

Because of this, I'm proposing the developers never considered a dynamic resize or full screen option.

Who knows, perhaps one of the Captivate development team is lurking and will pop in with more.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, thanks for the information.  I am using the software to create "passive" screencast demonstrations.  My hope was that, since it is an SWF to begin with, I could use the normal parameters of the Flash player.

An example of what I want to accomplish is actually the video on the Adobe Captivate Product Demos page, which is part of why I am confused:

http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/productinfo/product-demos/podcasting-software/

Since the demo uses the fullscreen feature, I made an assumption that the demo was created using the product itself.

I have found a workaround on the Captivate blog and devnet, but was hoping to use it as a last resort.  The sources recommend publishing the project to AVI and then uploading to Youtube:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/captivate/articles/youtube.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate/2009/03/tips_for_publish_to_avi_in_ado.html

If your or anyone else has further advice so that I can host the file myself and not be forced to use Youtube, it would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again

Sorry, but I think what is outlined in the Developer Center articles will be what you have to do.

Adobe is fantastic and creates some terrific stuff. I'm sure they want to showcase what their products are capable of. Unfortunately, when they put all the whiz bang stuff on pages like what you linked to, it provides somewhat of a false illusion that what is being described can do this right out of the box.

As we all know, Adobe has vast resources and some really creative folks there that create amazing things.

Hopefully this helped a bit... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources