• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit a clip longer than 30 seconds?

Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im new to after effects and im not sure how to extend the timeline to accomodate for a clip that is longer than 30 seconds? Im sure it is very simple if it can be done so please excuse the stupid question.

Many thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Under the "Composition" menu, go to the "Composition Settings" option.

There you can extend the duration.

Click here for more details and see how much more can be found in the very well planned and maintained Online Help Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the "Composition" menu, go to the "Composition Settings" option.

There you can extend the duration.

Click here for more details and see how much more can be found in the very well planned and maintain...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No question is stupid. Well, certainly not this one

Besides Steve's suggestion (on target as usual), you can also drag your footage item to the Comp button in the project panel, and that will automatically create a Comp that contains that footage item and automatically matches its' duration, frame rate and dimensions. It's quite handy, but only when you want to create a new Comp. For an existing one, use the Comp Settings dialog as explained by Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can even use the shortcut ctrl-k (cmd-k if on mac) to open your composition properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any COMPOSITION option on the Spark task bar? Where might I find it? Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is spark task bar? We're discussing After Effects. Show us a screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not locate the "Comp" either... I'm brand new at this and I feel defeated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure your compisition is selected to be able to go to composition settings. 

or when you make a new composition you will see the option of "duration" under the start timecode.

There you can type your duration time! hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! You satisfied me man ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that it doesn't adjust for the video file you drag unto the timeline since 2009 is pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After Effects is not a video editing app but is designed to create shots.

Trying to edit a thirty-second video with a half dozen shots and a third or 40 layers is almost always a bad idea. Most of my comps are a single shot, and many have more than a hundred layers. The average length of a Comp is less than 7 seconds because most shots in the movies I edit are less than 7 seconds.

If the comps are complex and take a while to render, I always use the Render Queue to render a ProRez production master and then cut the movie in Premiere Pro, where I have much better control over the audio, sound effects, timing, and final color grading. That's how Paramount, Pixar, Disney, and all the major production houses work. Render Effects and animations and then edit in an NLE. It's more efficient in the long run but takes little planning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines