Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change NOW() without changing system date on the server

Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to find a way to test applications in the future month.  I want a test current month to January 2010. We want to limit 7 month range like 3 prev months and current month and 3 future months.

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason that the DateAdd function would not work for you? You can use it to set the various dates you might need:

<cfscript>

current = Now();

lastMonth = DateAdd('m',-1,current); // this would subtract one month from the current date

nextMonth = DateAdd('m',1,current); // this would add one month from the current date

// and so on with other dates

</cfscript>

There might be a reason why this doesn't work for you but wanted to throw it out there just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We run 2 'local' times on our system, for users in the 2 countries. This method works for us....

In our Application.cfc onRequestStart() we set a request variable depending on the user locale.....

if (locale2)

request.theLocalTime = DateAdd("h",-10,Now())

else

request.theLocalTime = Now()

/

Then, we use request.theLocalTime in place of now() throughout our .cfm pages, and pass it as an argument where needed for cfc's in the application scope.

For testing, you could simply set the request.theLocalTime variable using DateAdd(), then change it back to now() when finished.

Hope this helps

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first off tz have nothing to do w/locales. secondly, what happens if DST differs

between your server's tz & the user's? DST & even tz themselves are based on

political decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, you are right about the timezones and the locales not being an accurate matchup. I think the poster that is implementing this solution is in a position where he *knows* where the traffic is coming from. This might work OK on an intranet where your traffic is coming from a finite list of places.

As you implied though, if you were doing this for an unknown number of time zones and locales, the given solution would not be reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....geez i really wish i could quote....

well he's got the offset fixed in his code, so he's going to be responsible

for keeping track of this. tz changes can come fast & furious (eg western

australia's last second DST, australian changes to host global sports events,

venezuela's tz two-step, etc.). it's not the best way to handle tz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I am not arguing that at all, Paul. My point was more to explain to people reading this thread why the aforementioned solution might be "working" in spite of the fact that it is technically an incorrect solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation