• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index Entries Appearing Incorrectly in .CHM Index

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**I made a post regarding RH7 and issues with the indexing feature...since then, I have come across more issues, hence why I am doing a new post**

I have RH7 and before I was having troubles with keywords being missed from the index in the generated .chm. I would open the index in RH and then compare it to the index in the .chm file-some keywords would be missing. This was occurring with all projects converted from RH X5 to RH7.

Now, I have a project that was started in RH7-it has not been converted from a previous version. I am not seeing issues with missing keywords but I am noticing that some keywords are being misplaced in the .chm index. For example, "demand dates" in the RH index has not sub-keywords. In the generated .chm, there are two sub-keywords under "demand dates", neither one anywhere close to being related to the keyword. When I looked for the keyword they SHOULD be under, it was not there.

I have installed all three RH fixes on my laptop, and I have even deleted every single index entry and re-entered them. My last guess is, could it be that the template I use was created in another version of RH? The template file has been converted to RH7.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated-I have research this topic quite a bit and cannot turn up any answers and it is hindering project production.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Why not try compiling with an "empty" index and see what happens?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you compile when you had deleted all the index entries? Wondering if those entries still managed to make an appearance.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted an entry and then re-added it immediately-I never had an "empty" index. After I did this, I regenerated the .chm file and the problem was still the same. Sometimes when I modify some entries and regenerate the .chm, the problem still occurs but the subkeywords attach to other keywords-it almost seems like there is something keeping the correct keyword out of the index, forcing the subkeywords to attach to another keyword.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth opening the project's .hhk file in Notepad and finding the entry that has the rogue sub-keywords. Look at the next entry and see if there is anything untoward with it.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and general technical communication issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried adding another keyword and subkeywords-the same problem occurred: the keyword was missing but the subkeywords attached themselves to another keyword.

I did look at the .hhk file and it looks like everything is out of order. Some "a's" are at the top, some are at the bottom. Everything looks "jumbled".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .hhk file looking "jumbled" is perfectly normal. I think I'm right in saying that new keywords are always added to the bottom of the file. When the output is produced, the entries are sorted.

Can you insert an image of a topic properties of a topic that has the subkeyword?

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and general technical communication issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not try compiling with an "empty" index and see what happens?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did it!!!!!

I created a second index, did "drag and drops" with all of the index entries and deleted everything out of the "default" index. I regenerated the .chm file and afterwards, dragged everything back to the default index and deleted the second index.

I regenerated the .chm file and it worked! I wonder what was causing such an issue? Is this something Adobe should know about?

Oh, thank you all SO much for your help...I can finally get back to working on this project and get it out to the user community! I cannot thank you all enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attaching screen shots of the Topic Properties dialog/Index tab for two topics.

The first image is for subkeyword topic that is attaching itself to keywords other than the one it should be. (Channels)

The second image is for a keyword that is having incorrect subkeywords attach themselves to it. (Access Rights)

Also, someone recommended I try removing my merged projects from the project folder-we merge two main projects in with all of our OH projects and also merge their index entries. I tried this and I still had the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Screen shots? Nooo, screen shots. Where see screen shots?

Have you tried right-clicking in the Index Designer and choosing Sort?

Are the keywords possibly stored inside the topics and not the HHK? When you see them in the Index Designer, is the icon that of a page with a key instead of just a key?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...not for sure why the screen shots did not attach. I will try them again when I get a chance.

I cannot get the "Sort" option to become active-it remains inactive.

The keywords are stored in the .hhk file-I am compiling a binary index. The keywords in the index have a key icon only, no page along with the key.

Numerous things have been tried and nothing is working. We have a few projects that were converted to RH7 from RH X5 and after fixing the cross-references glitch, they worked fine. This project, however, is a brand new RH7 project, so it is mind boggling...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sort will be disabled if you have Binary index enabled. By default, a Binary index is sorted. If you turn off the Binary index function you will then be able to sort.

Perhaps try that and see if there's a difference?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it help if you delete the .cpd file and re-generate the CHM? Some indexing-related issues were resolved in the past by doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just deleted the .cpd file and regenerated the .CHM. Unfortunately, it

did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever try generating when there is nothing in the Index Designer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp