• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map IDs and upgrading to RoboHelp 8

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are ready to upgrade from RH7 HTML to RH8.

By chance, I found the following rather cryptic note in the RH7 Help on Edit Map IDs:

Note: If you upgrade to a new version of RoboHelp, your developer must change the help calls to enable importing context text strings from previous versions.

This is ALL it says. What does it mean? Change the help calls - to what? When - before the upgrade?

Until I get this clarified, we are too nervous about what might happen to the csh map IDs.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

If they have already taken the map file from a previous version of the help and there are no changes to the map file, the answer is nothing. Only if there have been new or amended context sensitive help calls would your colleaque need to tell the developer of the new or amended mapid. They'd have to apply this to the API they use to call the help. Exactly how they do this depends on the type of help being produced (e.g. CHM, webhelp) and what the application is coded in. They should know how to

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe someone else may want to confirm this but I believe that this only applies if you supply a map file to your developers that they import into the application. If all you are doing is creating a map file that you use to inform the developers of the mapids to use in the application then you can still do that without them chnaging the help call.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colum - this clarifies it for me, and confirms I won't have to do anything by way of prep for my projects.

However, a colleague does, I think, supply a map file to the developers for one of her larger RH projects. Can you point me to any specific instructions she can give to the devs as to what they must do - and when?

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they have already taken the map file from a previous version of the help and there are no changes to the map file, the answer is nothing. Only if there have been new or amended context sensitive help calls would your colleaque need to tell the developer of the new or amended mapid. They'd have to apply this to the API they use to call the help. Exactly how they do this depends on the type of help being produced (e.g. CHM, webhelp) and what the application is coded in. They should know how to do this anyway if they have done this previously.

If it helps this post below on my blog describes the process in general terms.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great - this is what I needed. The question is answered. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp