Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHM with auto expanded drop-down hotspots

New Here ,
May 10, 2006 May 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'd like to know if it is possible to generate a CHM file from RoboHelp, with all the drop-down hotspots already expanded? I need this to then print the complete CHM, including the information contained in the hotspots.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2006 May 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Assuming you mean YOU need to print the content rather than the user needs to, then when you use Printed Documentation it can include all your dropdown and expanding text. For some reason I have never understood, expanding text is printed by default whereas dropdown text has to be selected. Click the Advanced button on the first page of the wizard.

Also this topic may help you. Click here.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2006 May 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I tried to do at first, but I discovered that for various reasons, the generated Word document is pretty ugly and I would have to spend several hours fixing the styles manually. On the other hand, generating a CHM gives me a great result, and it prints well too, except for the drop-down hotspots (which are not printed).

I think I'll try to find a way to edit a compiled CHM and create a script to auto expand the hotspots, except if someone knows a better way of doing this.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Use Project's CSS Styles option in the last page of the wizard?

I wish you luck writing a script. I know the effort that has gone into the scripts on my site that do that from a button in a topic.

I honestly think editing the styles in Word would be quicker.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, you want to have all expanded and dropdowns printed in the Help document. If you generate a Printed Document from the Project Single Source Layout, you will be able to check a box that will do this. Of course this is not the same as printing from the Help.chm, but instead prints all or parts of the document in Word or some other word processor. This is good for a printed manual of the Help if desired. Unfortunately, it is not possible directly from the Help.chm.

Maybe that is a suggestion to Adobe. There are two options when a book or topic is selected for print, this could simply be a third.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2006 May 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sgoodij,

The simplest way that I know to do this is to use the window.onbeforeprint event to display all the expandable and dropdown text prior to sending the help topics off to the printer. If necessary, you can use the window.onafterprint event to hide the expandable and dropdown text after you've printed the topics.

See this page for a script that should very nearly meet your requirements:

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/showhide/showhide_method2.htm

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 12, 2006 May 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You could control this by duplicating the content at each instance and using two build tags, one assigned to the drop-down and the other for standard text.

You would then create a CHM "Layout" that would exclude all content with the drop-down build tag. And for your standard online output, you would exclude all content with the standard text build tag.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp