10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2009 8:52 AM by Eddie Lotter RSS

Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo

dwestly

We are a small television station.  When I add a simple logo to a layer, (so that the logo is diplayed when a television show is playing), the rendering time goes from 15 minutes to 90 minutes.  The logo on the second layer was a .psd file, then we tried a .png file.  The .png actually took even longer than the .psd did.  Why does it take so long to render when we are only adding one more layer?  Is there a way to condense this?

• 1. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo
          Harm Millaard Community Member

Mind reader here: Your system is too slow, your timeline is very long, your OS is burdened with other processes, your watch is running slow, your render format is not correct for the source material or any number of other reasons.

Look here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

• 2. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo
            dwestly Community Member

As to the previous responce: when we render a 60 or 30 minute show, it takes a reasonable amount of time.  We many of them a day.  By just adding a logo, suddenly, it takes an increadable amount of time.  The OS is Windows XP Pro.  We have 8 megs of RAM. We have an Intel Quad Q6800 processor.  We are going from .avi to mpg2, 1 pass, 2.99 bit rate.

• 3. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo

That's what I suspected.

• 4. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo
                Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Go into PS and make the logo the acutal size it is going to be displayed?

• 5. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo
                  JSS1138 Community Member

When I add a simple logo to a layer, (so that the logo is diplayed when a television show is playing)

That is the most detestable thing that has ever happened to television.  There ought to be laws against it.  Certainly one should have enough integrity to say "no" to doing it, enough to follow through by quitting their job if required to do it.  If all were of such a mind, this vile practice would be rightly non-existant.

• 6. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo

Mind reader here again:

1. Your timeline is over 180 minutes, not 30 minutes.

2. Why else would you use such bad encoding settings?

3. 90 minutes of render time for a 180 minute timeline is not bad with your specs.

4. Why are you reluctant to specify accurately what you do?

5. Do you understand encoding?

6. Follow Jim's advise.

7. If you don't give an accurate picture of what you do, be prepared for several weeks and a multitude of posts before you get your answer.

• 7. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo
                      dwestly Community Member

I am a little surprised at the responces so far.  I suppose that I havn't been clear about what we are doing, (I wrote the request very late at night), and or the way that I have presented it.

We get television shows sent to us via satellite.  Our station has one live local show and the rest are old re-runs of Magnum, Rockford Files, Leave It To Beaver, etc. While, (for example), Magnum is running we would like to place a Logo of the local show for a few seconds, or maybe the logo of the station.  Since our local show is the show that generates most of our income, it's a good opportunity to do a little advertising of it.

The problem. And I hope that I am more clear. When we render say a sixty minute show, (which is actually 59 minutes and 59 seconds on the timeline), the rendering time will be about 16 minutes.  When adding one additional layer,  which will contain a small logo that will appear at the lower right of the screen, the rendering time now jumps up to 90 minutes. Now the logo is not to appear all of the time. It will appear at different times throughout the show.

As to vile practices.  We live in a small town in Nevada.  Just leaving a job over such an issue would not be wise.  If I were to be asked to do someting truly immoral I would refuse.  A logo at the bottom right of a television screen is not immoral.  Some may find it annoying.  Actually when we get the shows many times there is some kind of a logo down there already.  We are covering it up with ours.  The one that is down there already doesn't apply to our area, since the shows are sent to us from back East.

I thank anyone for thier help with this.

• 8. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo
                        Bill Gehrke CommunityMVP

It seems to me that this is an ideal time for a hardware solution (being an ex hardware engineer).  Of course I do not know TV hardware so I can not give you a specfic solution but it sure seems like it should not be to difficult to in real time insert the live logo rather than having a never ending rendering problem.

• 9. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo
                          dwestly Community Member

Quite possibly by just adding one layer in Premiere it does make rendering very very long, I am surprised.

I know that there are hardware "solutions" to this, although they are very expensive.  They play "layers" live while the show is running.  I am going to the NAB show in Las Vegas this week to take a look at the hardware options available.

I was just truly hoping that there would be a way to make a "hard copy" so to speak of the show with a logo or whatever embedded in the actual show.  Thank you for your responce.

• 10. Re: Rendering takes too long when adding layer/logo
                            Eddie Lotter Community Member

just adding one layer in Premiere it does make rendering very very long, I am surprised.

It's not surprising, really. You're asking PPro to do more work, which takes longer. Different codecs will introduce differing amounts of work and therefor differing additional times.

A good test would be to create a new, standard DV project. Import a standard DV clip. Export approximately five minutes and time it. Add the logo over the original five minute section and export it again, timing it again. What is the difference in time?

Cheers
                            Eddie