• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Forum FAQ [2009]

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a work in progress and will be re-formatted soon into individual Question/Answers in an FAQ subforum.

Can I over write the forums style sheets to change the layout?

Yes, Please see this discussion of scripts that can help you change your view of the Forums: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/294008?tstart=30

How can I see the interface in Japanese, French, German, Spanish, or Simplified Chinese?

In order to see pages in these languages, you can click the Region links at the top of page (where it lists a country name and says “Change”), choose your region and language from the pop-up menu. Click on "Remember this choice" under the menu.

Why do some older messages appear with parentheses around user names?

For a three-month period before our new forums were launched, we encouraged users to go through an account migration process to associate their former User to User forum IDs with their Adobe ID. Accounts with the parentheses are from those users who had content in the old Adobe User to User Forums, but who have not yet signed into the new system. The parentheses were added to these account names so they could be imported into the new system without clashing with screen names associated with Adobe IDs.

Once a user logs in with that account in the new system the parentheses will go away.

How do I participate in  the Adobe Online Forums via email?

Visit the forum you wish to participate in and click on the link to "Receive email notifications". You will start receiving new messages posted in that forum. You can reply to the messages directly from your email or you can click on a link in the message to come back to the forum.

Can I start a new discussion topic via email?

Yes. Once you have subscribed to a forum you can click on the “Your Stuff” link in the forums, click on “Mailing Lists” and find a "Create Discussion" email link for each forum you are subscribed to. Copy the full email address (it may wrap onto two lines) into your email client's address book and send new discussions to this address.

Can I include a file attachment via email?

You can include a file attachment in an email that starts a new forum discussion, but you cannot attach a file to an email reply to an existing discussion.

How do I stop receiving  email notifications from the Adobe Forums?

To discontinue receiving thread subscription updates, you can change your  personal settings in the web-based forums. To do this, login to the Adobe Forums by visiting http://forums.adobe.com/ and click on "Login".

Once you've logged in  with your Adobe ID and password, click the menu item labeled "Your Stuff" and select "Profile". Select the "Email Notifications" tab,  check the threads for which you would no longer like to receive subscription  updates and click "Remove Selected Notifications."

How do I prevent myself from being automatically subscribed to threads I post messages in?

Go to the Your Stuff link in the User Bar, click on Preferences, and uncheck the to radio buttons for subscribing to threads you create and threads you reply to.

How do I embed an image or a video in a forum message?

When posting a message in the Forums there are two buttons in the Rich Text  Editor to include a video or an image file in the message.

For video, click on the clapboard button/icon then select the video site and  enter the Video URL or embed code and click Insert.

For an image, click on the camera button/icon then select the appropriate tab (From Your Computer, Uploaded Images, or From the web) and follow the onscreen instructions.

What if I want to link to an image on an external site, such as Pixentral or Flickr, instead of uploading the image to the Forum server?

Flickr's Terms of Service state that if you post an image hosted on Flickr on another site you have to link back to the image page on Flickr. To do that you  need to go to your image on Flickr, click on the All Sizes link above the image,  select the size image you want, then Copy the HTML code from the first box of code underneath the image. Then, in the Forum's Rich Text Editor, click on  the >> button/icon and select Insert Raw HTML. This will open a frame  within your message where you paste the HTML code you copied from the Flickr  site. Then continue on with composing your forum message and click “Post Message”  to post the message to the forum system.

For Pixentral images, you will need to go to http://www.pixentral.com and upload your image following the instructions there. You do NOT have to check the box to make images public. Once your image is uploaded there copy the HTML code from the box below your image. Then, in the Forum's Rich Text Editor, click on  the >> button/icon and select Insert Raw HTML. This wil open a frame within your message where you paste the HTML code you copied from the Pixentral site. Please note that there is an extra "/" character in the Pixentral URL that will prevent the image from showing up, so you need to make one change to the HTML that you copied from the Pixentral site. The beginning of the HTML code  will look something like this:

<a href="http:www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=16xx5748rt9fhd"/>

Please remove the forward slash that appears between the quotes and the greater  than symbol so that this part of the HTML code looks like this:

<a href="http:www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=16xx5748rt9fhd">

Then continue on with composing your forum message and click “Post Message” to  post the message to the forum system.

Can I attach a file to a forum message?

Yes. Each message in the Forums can have up to three files attached. Each file cannot exceed 5MB. These numbers are subject to change.

To attach a file, create a new forum message as usual and then click on the “Browse” button below the Rich Text Editor box to select a file from your computer.

Are forum messages presented in Threaded or Flat order?

The Forum messages can be presented in either Threaded or Flat order. This  can be set in your forum Preferences. Click on the “Your Stuff” link and select “Preferences”. The first setting on that page is for how you want to see the messages.

In Flat mode, each message posted in the Forum will appear directly below and in line with the message posted before it. You will be able to view the discussion as if it were a live discussion with each person taking a turn in successive order.

In Threaded mode, each message will be posted below the message it is direct reply to and will be indented. This makes it easier to follow sidebar or sub-discussions, but can make it more difficult to follow a long conversation.

When you are reading messages in a forum, you can select to reply to the original message or to any of the replies to that original message.

How do I edit a message that I have posted in the Forum?

After you have posted a message you will find an “Edit” link at the bottom of the message. Click on the link to open the message editor and make your changes. The edit feature is good for fixing a typo or a link. But if you have extensive changes to make to your message we suggest that you post a new reply to your message instead of editing the original message. Editing is not available if someone has replied to your message. At that point, you have to add a new reply to the thread with the updated information.

How do I delete a message that I have posted in the Forum?

You can delete a message you have posted if there have been no replies. Once someone has replied the Delete option goes away.

How do I send a forum message to a friend?

While reading a message in the Forums, you can send a link to the discussion to someone outside the forum system by clicking on the "Send as email" link in the Actions panel. You can select user names from the system or email addresses of people outside the system and they will be sent a link to the forum. The actual message is not included in the email. The recipient will need to click on the link in the message to view the contents.

How do I report an abusive post in the Forums?

When viewing messages in the Forum you will find a "Report Abuse" link in the Actions panel on the right side for the original message and you will also find an individual “Report Abuse” link listed for each reply to the original message. Click on the link to send a report.

How do I upload an Avatar for my Forum account?

To upload a custom avatar for use in the Adobe Forums you must first create a 128x128 (max size) image file.

Then log into the Forums and click on “Your Stuff” and select “Profile”

Click on “Change avatar” in the Actions panel on the right side of the screen.

Scroll down to the “Upload Avatar” section and click “Browse” to find the avatar file on your system, then click “Upload”.

Once you avatar file is uploaded, it has to be approved by an administrator (this might take several hours to several days). Until it is approved it will be marked as "pending." Once the pending notification is gone, you can select that avatar and click “Save Settings”.

How do I upload an image for my profile page?

Click on the “Edit Profile” link in the Actions panel on the right side of the screen.

Click on the “Browse” button to select an image file from your system.

Click on the “Save” button to upload and save your new profile image

All profile images will be scaled to be 320 pixels wide.

How do I access Private Messages?

The Private Message feature is located under the “Your Stuff” link.

If you have a private message waiting for you in the forum the “Your Stuff” link will be orange.

Click on the “Your Stuff” and select “Private Messages” from the drop down menu.

From there, you will be able to read incoming messages, create new messages, and manage old messages.

You can also manage an Address Book and sort messages into folders.

Can I attach a file to a Private Message?

No. But you can include a link to an image or a video.

How many Private Messages can I have?

40 (subject to change)

Can I subscribe to a feed from the Forums?

Yes, you can get an RSS feed from various parts of the forums: Announcements, Discussions, and you can even subscribe to an individual user by going to their profile (click on their name or avatar any place in the forums) and getting the feed link from there. You can also get a feed of your private message inbox.

Some messages have odd linebreaks and random characters in them, such as lines that start with B or I that don't seem to make sense.

The Adobe Online Forums is a new system that has data imported from two previous systems. One of the previous systems had its own message formatting codes, such as B for Bold and I for Italic. These codes import into the new system as plain text and lead to the formatting issue that you might run across on old messages.

I marked a reply to my question as the correct answer, but then discovered that it was not correct. Can I remove the Marked as Answered setting?

No, you can only set this for one reply and it cannot be removed. Please post a follow up message in the discussion thread with updated information, such as a clarification or rebuttal to the marked answer.

I am not clear on the points system in the Forums. Will I get points for simply posting questions or replying to questions?

No. Points are not given for simply posting a question or a reply. Points are awarded by the person who started a discussion. They can mark a reply to their question as either The Answer or as Helpful. They can mark one “Correct” answer and two “Helpful” answers per discussion thread.

I've clicked to edit my profile and now I'm lost. I can't get back to the discussion I was viewing.

Use the History link in the user bar.

Is there an alternative to the Rich Text Editor?

Yes, if you are comfortable with some basic HTML, you can click on the “HTML” link in the upper right corner of the Full Editor to switch to an HTML editor. If you use the HTML editor you need to remember to put in <p> and <br> tags between paragraphs, otherwise the HTML editor will remove extraneous white space (including carriage returns) in your message.

How can I Jump the last message in a thread?

Click on the XX minutes ago link in the list of threads to go to the latest message instead of to the first message.

How do I change my name or screen name?

At the very top of the page, click on “Your account”. Under “Account Information”, click on the “Edit Your Account Information” link. Edit the desired information on this page and click “Update”.

How do I change my email address?

At the very top of the page, click on “Your account”. Under “Account Information”, click on the “Edit Your Account Information” link. Your Adobe ID/email is listed here, and you need to click on the “Change” button. Enter your email address, your password, and click “Update”. Note that your email address is also your Adobe ID which you use to login, so if you change your email address, you will also need to login using the new email address.

How do I change my password?

At the very top of the page, click on “Your account”. Under “Account Information”, click on the “Edit Your Account Information” link. Your password is displayed as a series of asterisks (*****). Click the “Change” button. You will need to enter your current password, your new password, and a password hint. Click on the “Update” button to save your changes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 164 Replies 164
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If this was addressed in the FAQ, I somehow missed it.

There is no capability for including Flash content in posts?

Also, not specifically mentioned was whether E-Mail will work with more than one address. For example, if I've subscribed to posts using one address may I reply using another?

Thanks... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash should NEVER be allowed in the forums as it is banned in some companies - that makes the forums useless for some of us.

Regards,

GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I want to build my own AIR interface for these forums, why should I not be allowed to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any reason you shouldn't be allowed to. Rather, I think it would be encouraged. Especially if you can work around some of the issues, such as logging in.

A few different people have expressed interest in creating such an AIR application. Maybe it is a project that can get started in the AIR Forum. I've created a new subforum there for discussion of this project.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/air

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ adobe-admin (J.C.?):

Thanks for fixing the "backslash" error. Accuracy is important, and doubly so when presented as an F.A.Q.

The sad thing is how prevalent the usage of "backslash" is when a plain old slash is meant (generally, the "forward" attribute is assumed and unneeded), and by people who should know better. It's a direct result of people knowing just barely enough about the Windows file path naming protocols, and then applying the only terminology they're familiar with incorrectly to URLs.

I went about 10 rounds—TWICE!—with a labyrinthian succession of people at the Discovery & History cable TV networks because they were saying "backslash" in voice overs whenever their commercials promoted their websites. It took some doing, but I finally got in touch with somebody who was savvy enough to recognize that it was a rookie mistake made by a clueless marketing copywriter. The voice over person just read the copy they were given, oblivious to the difference. It amazes me that it wasn't caught by somebody early in the recording/production process and rectified.

They then had it correct for about a year, until new commercials started popping up with the same error. Unfortunately, the person I had talked to previously no longer worked for the History channel and I had to go through the process of finding someone who understood all over again.

Yeah, you can call me a nitpicker with nothing better to do.

But I've earned that dang badge, and I wear it proudly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

If I want to build my own AIR interface for these forums, why should I not be allowed to?

YES! Who cares if you're allowed, do it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote on 2009-07-15 06:51:

jochemd wrote :

>>

>> If I want to build my own AIR interface for these forums, why should I not be allowed to?

Working on it, I just need Jive to provide one more piece of

documentation (or a bugfix for all the ForumService methods that use a

ResultFilter).

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Ansury wrote on 2009-07-15 06:51:

jochemd wrote :

>> 

>> If I want to build my own AIR interface for these forums, why should I not be allowed to?

Working on it, I just need Jive to provide one more piece of

documentation (or a bugfix for all the ForumService methods that use a

ResultFilter).

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Oh no, that's bad... I will pray to the Jive gods for your success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this topic:

How do I stop receiving  email notifications from the Adobe Forums?

You need to add that by default you are automatically subscribed to your own posts and posts you reply to.  You can turn this off in the forum preferences.

I recommend making the default OFF if possible.  Alot of peopel are surprised they are auto subscribed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

How do I change my email address?

At the very top of the page, click on “Your account”. Under “Account Information”, click on the “Edit Your Account Information” link. Your Adobe ID/email is listed here, and you need to click on the “Change” button. Enter your email address, your password, and click “Update”. Note that your email address is also your Adobe ID which you use to login, so if you change your email address, you will also need to login using the new email address.

Once I get to the Edit Your Account window, I receive this

ALERT Editing your e-mail address will change your Adobe ID

and, as far as I have gathered, this will give one a new personality,

How does all of this appiy to those of use who have chosen not to use our email addresses as our Adobe IDs? If I change my eail address, will my ID be affected? If yes, will I be given a new personality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get an email digest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nini Tjader wrote:

How do I get an email digest?

In your dreams, Nini, in your dreams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the "old" forum, I was able to peruse forum postings in digest form once a day.  Since you changed to the NEW forum application, I've been having to deal with large numbers of individual postings and it is becoming an annoyance.  Why has this option not been applied to those who would like to be kept informed of new discussions and tracking older ones without popping over to the website?  I "subscribed" to the old forum in digest form and I want my digests back!!!

-- da Lizard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the places where people have been complaining aboutthis:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/414857?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Claudio for the link. I added my vote for Digest! ...and, I'm

gonna go over to Jive to complain to them as well (though really, it's

Adobe who's at fault here in adopting an application without getting

user input first on whether its usability is universally acceptable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

laszloacs wrote:

(though really, it's Adobe who's at fault here in adopting an application without gettinguser input first on whether its usability is universally acceptable).

How do you know Adobe didn't do that? Just because you weren't personally involved?

I'm sure Adobe had their hands pretty full in trying to find a solution that would please the majority while providing them with the fewest headaches from the management side.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboWizard wrote:

How do you know Adobe didn't do that? Just because you weren't personally involved?

In fact I'm pretty sure they at least made an attempt to get user input. There were many opportunities to fill out a survey well before these forums were implemented.

Now whether they actually read or used any of the survey results is another story entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

In fact I'm pretty sure they at least made an attempt to get user input. There were many opportunities to fill out a survey well before these forums were implemented.

Now whether they actually read or used any of the survey results is another story entirely.

?? Didn't see any survey?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

RoboWizard wrote:

Ya know...  I vaguely recall a survey and I do recall perhaps participating in it - I don't recall a place in the survey to express WHAT the issues I didn't like about Jive's Clearspace package (which by-the-way is no longer available from Jive - they've re-engineered their offerings and are now calling the Forum software package "Jive SBS".  I also recall talking to a number of 'developer' types who are/were Adobe employees at the last AdobeMax event I attended where I complained about the forum - things like:

==> the lack of a "preview" function during the edit (not a showstopper)

==> the intermittency of the "Edit" post function  (ya know, sometimes there's a need to fix what was written, like prematurely hitting of the "Post" button)

(I've found that NOT ALL the posts I write have the "Edit" button after they're posted - and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it)

(again...  not a showstopper - but makes me not happy about Jive software)

==> the lack of a spell-check function (SHOWSTOPPER!!!)

==> AND ESPECIALLY THE LACK OF "DIGEST" function.  (REALLY BIG SHOWSTOPPER)

I know I generally complained about the forums at every non-class function at the last AdobeMAX; but, I never got any commitment from any of those I talked to that they'll look into the forum issue.  Perhaps it could be because we were usually intoxicated (those AdobeMax functions are a blast!!!  I'll never forget them...).

I have done some research and a little social engineering (I made a phone call to Jive Software).  Result of the research: the lack of a Digest function IS NOT because of something missing in the Jive Software: Take a look at this and pay attention to the date of the initial post and replies.  Now, look at this, again paying attention to the date.  So you see, Jive's forum software HAD a digest function as long as 5 years ago!!!  From my discussion with a technical analyst at Jive this afternoon, I learned that the digest function IS available in the administration/configuration settings of the Clearspace package.  Makes one wonder - is the missing function purposely missing because someone at Adobe made the decision not to include it?

Gawd, I have wasted WAY too much time on this triviality...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I may be able to help with the Edit issue - you can edit, it seems for ever, until someone replies directly to your post. If all posts after yours are directed elsewhere, edit away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

laszloacs, if you're replying by email, please see Re: Blank posts on email replies

(or http://forums.adobe.com/message/1917767#1917767 in case that link gets discombobulated in email)

Your messages are coming in empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And remember that the Edit button/link for the first message in a discussion is in the Action panel, not under the message.

As Kath says, once someone replies, the edit capability goes away. Like a normal conversation. Once you've said something and someone replied, you can't turn back time and go change what you originally said.

Replies within the discussion are slightly different because they are threaded. So if you reply to a message you can edit it until someone else replies to you. However, other people can add replies to other messages in the discussion that are not replies directly to you. So you can still edit your message, even though there are newer messages in the discussion. But if someone goes back and replies to that message you then lose the edit capabilities.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the fun of cheating with statements like As XX is about to say will be forever gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines