• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a new project from an old project

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2009 Apr 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that I would like to duplicate and store in a seperate SVN folder.  The reason being is that it contains 4 folders suppressed with conditional build tags.  The system architect wants one help file with the topics (unsuppressed) and  another help file without the topics.  Does this make sense? Can I copy the project into my project folder on my C: drive and then open as a new project and proceed to take the conditional builds off the folders I suppressed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

It sounds like you're ready, so go for it.  That's the nice thing about outputs--you can always run them again, so all is not lost if they don't turn out the way you want.  It's the source files you don't want to screw up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Apr 21, 2009 Apr 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you mean that the system architect wants a version of the help with build tags in place and a version without.  If this is right, can't you run an output of the help that excludes no tags so that it includes everything?

Are both the source files and the output files contained in SVN?  Is the system architect concerned with the source files or the output files?

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source files are not in the SVN only the output files.  He is only concerned with the output files.  So all I need to do is create a new folder in the SVN and publish to that folder without the build tags?  That certainly seems easier than making a another copy.  My output folder and start page as well as default topic can all remain the same?  I would add the server name in the last screen and then check that box only when I want to update the help files without the conditional build.  I hope I'm making sense.  I'm still pretty new to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do this a couple of ways:

First way: Use your existing SSL and use the same output folder and start page, but just change the conditional build expression to "None." Create a second server location and publish to that one when you generate the help that doesn't exclude any topics.  Keep in mind that you will have to switch the build expression and publish location whenever you're going back and forth from one output to the other.

Second way: Create a new SSL called something like "All Topics" and then have no conditional build expression on that one.  Point that SSL to a new output folder, publish to a second folder (SVN doesn't like it if you try to check in the output folder directly for some reason), and check the changes from there into SVN.  Your start page can be the same, but you'll need a separate output or publish folder so you don't overwrite the version of the help that's in the existing folder.  If you do it this way, you don't have to worry about flipping the conditional build expression back and forth because each of the two SSLs has the correct build expression set, and you also wouldn't need to flip back and forth between publish locations.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense, and I'll try to clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so it seems as if the 2nd option is what I meant when I spoke of copying the project.  I think I'd prefer to go that route so that I wouldn't have to remember to add or remove the conditional build each time I run.  My current project output folder is C:\Projects\IQS\!SSL!\WebHelp\Index.htm.  How do I go about creating a new SSL.  I mean, I see where I'm able to do it ( I think), I'm just not certain how to accomplish the task.  Do I just click on create new layout and name it, No Build Topic for example? I need some direction to get going, I had help when I initially began my current project and my brain was full with all the information that was being thrown my way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are pretty much there. You could create a new layout via the New Layout popup menu but a better way would be to right click on your existing layout and click Duplicate Layout. This creates a copy of that layout that you can change the output path in. This second way is easier as it retains all the other settings of your current SSL.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can I just simply change the name of the output path in the duplicated layout from C:\Projects\IQS\!SSL!\WebHelp\Index.htm to C:\Projects\IQS\!SSL!\WebHelpQuiz\Index.htm? Or do I need to create a folder within C:\Projects\IQS\!SSL! and then change the name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can specify the new path, and then when you generate, the new folder should be created for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure I've got every thing set to go and I'm ready to click Finish and have it generate to C:\Projects\IQS\!SSL!\WebHelpQuiz\Index.htm and I've added the new folders that I want the duplicated project published to. Is it safe to hit finish now?? I'm terrified and I want to be certain I haven't missed anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're ready, so go for it.  That's the nice thing about outputs--you can always run them again, so all is not lost if they don't turn out the way you want.  It's the source files you don't want to screw up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ben and Colum for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp