• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do favorites in the Favorites pane persist in different versions of Help?

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A simple question here, but I couldn't find it in Help. When users use a new version of a Help file and click the Favorites tab, will their favorites from the previous version of Help display? Or will they have to re-add those topics to the Favorites pane?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would appear that they will still appear in the favourites. I have to admit to being unsure exactly how this area works. When you add a favourite, it is stored locally (i.e. users with the CHM on another PC can't see it) which means it must be saved to the users PC somewhere. Recompiling the CHM does not change things but you may have a broken link if the topic has been renamed, moved or deleted. Perhaps we need a little more testing to see excatly what will happen in these scenarios.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Colum is spot on with this. The Microsoft Windows CHM viewer stores favorites information in a small file on the system. The file name is HH.dat and contains other information than simply favorites. Window size and placement and which tab was open when you closed the CHM file. The HH.dat file is a central repository for this information for ALL CHM files you open and use on your system. It's not specifically matched to a single CHM file.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. That saves me some detective work later........especially as we Europeans spell "favorite" with a "u"

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, yeah I have teased Peter in the past asking where those extra "U's" come from. WazzupWiddat?

He politely reminded me that any spelling differences coming from your end are the correct ones as we came from where you live. So you have the "correct" spellings.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Rick and Colum!

You've answered my question completely!

~ Ling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp