Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preloader not functioning

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Preloader % is not functioning on my projects. I set it up at 5%, or 15% or any percentage, and it still loads the whole publish prior to playing, which is a drag since those are 20mb publishes.

Any hints here?

CP 4 is is question.

Thank you!!

Regards,

Goran

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody got CP 4 to publish with a preloader percentage?

Seems that whatever I do, it always loads 100% of the swf before playing.

I tried removing the preload image with no luck. Is there something in the slides/project itself that should be changed? This is a simple ppt conversion with voice over audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now using the Bandwidth Analyzer I got to the info that no matter the audio over the slides is imported on each separate slide, analyzer implicates that all audio, form all slides should be connected to slide 1 of the publish. Is that normal, expected bahaviour?

That would explain why it takes 100% to load the swf since it is all located in in the audio files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no way that setting the Preloader % in project preferences would accomplish anything. If you look in the FLA's for the preloaders supplied with Captivate there is no integration or sharing of data between the preloader and Captivate. Therefore setting the percentage to 10% or 100% would in my world be the same, since it's not actually being shared with the preloader. All the Captivate supplied preloaders are hard-coded to load 100% before starting the project.

I could be wrong but I think that Adobe might have forgotten to actually implement this feature in Captivate 4 and the preloaders

/Michael

Click here to visit the www.captivate4.com blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have not been able to get the Preloader % setting to do anything.

A further annoyance is the disappearance of the onscreen % indicator that you used to get with the Green Circle preloader. Now all you get is the circle twirling away without any indication of the amount that has loaded. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked the same question back in March and got no replies.  Search for "

audio optimization when publishing

"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As I understand it the preloader function doesn't work in Captivate 4 and only a patch may address the issue.

Anyone encountering the issue would be advised to please report this to Adobe as a bug. The more reports Adobe receives, the more likely it becomes to see it addressed.

Click here to visit the Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only that the preloader function does not work at all, but the preloader percentage actually refers to the preloader image, so e.g. you have a 10mb recording, and you set a preloader image to be visible, and set preloader at 20%. Guess what, preloader image will dissappear after 2mb have loaded, and the screen will remain blank while loading the other 8mb. Nice.

This "bug" has costed me days in trying to get around, and I did not get around it.

I payed for a full functioning product, and Adobe charges for tech. support. Really nice. I have deadlines to adhere to, and Adobe would like for me to fill out a form.

Robowizard  - thank you for your suggestion and time, but frustration is coming out, and of course, a forum is the "right" place to vent. Adobe should really live up to their market leader reputation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm confused. Was there something in my post that implied you had no right to vent about a frustrating issue?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all.

I went the constructive path and filed a bug report.

Thanks,

Goran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had a tricky kluge, mind you, not a fix, just a work around until Adobe got their act together.  Nope.  My idea was to take the first couple of slides out and make them their own SWF.  The use it as the preloader "image" for the second larger one. There were a couple of issues with that:

1) You won't get a preloader for the preloader (i.e., no progress bar for the first part).

2) If you have a skin for the first part, it appears out of place and is not functional.

3) If your timing isn't exact, you will either a gap when the first part (the preloader) finishes and the second part finishes loading OR if there is an overlap, you get double audio while the preloader finishes and the main part starts.

Oh well.  FIX IT ADOBE!

Oh, and I did file a bug report.  Called it a deal killer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you kidding me?  Here is the response I got from the bug submission (was I not clear?):

Hi Joel

Not sure I understand how you are impacted by this. Can you explain your scenario in detail? Thanks

Suresh

Captivate team

-----Original Message-----

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=5

Feedback Report : Preloader % does not work. Project is a Powerpoint slide show with an individual audio file attached to each slide. When publishing, it loads the entire audio with the first slide. This is also evident in the bandwidth analyzer. This is a deal killer.

Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 3:42 AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sent them a link this forum topic as a bug report.

Thre is really no point in duplicating effort here and on the report also.

If we are lucky enough this topic will be high on the google search for captivate, maybe then they will react, when their sales drop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have Quiz pools in your project? When a quiz pool is present then preloader percentage does not work and always downloads 100%.

Can you share your project? My email id is jpandeya@adobe.com

You can share using http://share.acrobat.com

Thanks

Jayashree

Adobe Captivate Team

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No quiz present, no reporting option enabled, plain html publish.

Will send you the project file, thanks.

Regards,

Goran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!  At least on the first project I tried.  I forced a .3 second (just to be sure) gap between each audio.

Please find the reason and answer

-SJ

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:13 PM

To: Suresh Jayaraman

Subject: RE: [ Bug Report ]

Hi Suresh,

This is how partial preloading will work. When the slide is not loaded completely we wait till it is loaded completely.

In Joel case, as soon as audio file is loaded (after 10% preloading), we start playing. We don't wait for the rest of the swf to load.

To play first slide audio, we need the audio file. As there is only one big audio file, we have to wait till the audio file is loaded.

Problem comes due to the fact that we merge audio files in adjacent slides when there is almost no gap between the audio positioning.

Workaround is to start every slide audio after 0.1 sec.

This will make 42 audio files in the swf instead of one.

Regards,

Ravi Kishore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me also.

Pitty I launched 20 courses without this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Day All,

Instead of the answer here of delay audio by .1 second when there is audio in adjacent slides, would preloading work if I just went in and changed the AS in the preloaders to 10?

I only have audio in my first slide (and would like to keep it) and no matter what I do 100% of the content downloads before the CBT starts.

thank you for any ideas,

Norm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Changing the percent in preloader AS code will not help since even then the audio on first slide will be big and the movie will not play unless whole of audio clip is downloaded.

Is it not possible for you to split the audio?

-Jayashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2009 Jun 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok - I am not sure that I am understanding everything...

I am here so far.

1. My current project has background audio (ambient music) set to loop until the end of the project.
  2. This audio is what is causing the preloader to fail.
  3. To force preloader to work the suggestion is to have audio start after 0.1 second on each slide.

SO..

I read that as "Do not use looping background audio, instead place a separate audio file on each slide and have it start after 0.1 seconds." (I don't see anywhere to start background audio after 0.1 seconds on each slide)

My concern is that I will now go from 1 audio file to 20 audio files which will allow me to stream but also forces me to push the same data 20 times.  Not only that but the user experience will be really weird (w w w worried it will sound like a bad DJ) on some of the faster slide changes.

I am strongly leaning toward the simple expedient of not having any audio until/unless a patch is released which fixes this.

If I got any of the above wrong or mixed up please let me know.

Norm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2009 Jun 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Norm,

What is the size of the "ambient" background music that you are using in your project? And what is the preloader % that you are using?

Will it be possible for you to share this project with us so that we can investigate further?

Thanks

Jayashree

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2009 Jun 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have to jump in my own mounth now.

This does not does work for me.

Initailly, I separated the audio parts, ran the bandwidth analyzer, got the ok result and concluded it os ok.

Now I got the project to push to the web, and this soultion still does not work. Even with the audio moved for 0,1s it still loads the whole swf prior to launching, no matter if I select 5, 15, ort 25% preloader.

Captivate really is a timewaister.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question should not be marked answered.

I don't get Adobe support. I sent the mail to the inital contact and linked one of the CP files that has problems, with no reply.

I opened another bug report and got this happy message from adobe:

Thanks for your feedback! Requests and suggestions from our customers are what help us to continue creating cutting-edge, world-class software.

Due to the volume of submissions we receive, responses to inquiries are generally not possible. However, we may contact you if we need clarification on your submission.

So, you sold me a product that you say works, but it doesn't, I report the problem and you say that response is generally not possible for your cutting edge, world class software?

Well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is that the solution (I used a .3 second delay) worked for me and has worked on every project since (so far).  My project may be different from everyone else's.  I have a project made from a PPT slideshow with a single MP3 file (voice narration) imported (not linked).  I do not use it as a background audio.  I imported it to a single slide (first or last, but it doesn't really matter) then adjusted the slide timings to the appropriate point in the audio.  Once that is done, I adjust each slide's audio forward 0.3 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I got myself together. Was a bit frustrated to have had to purchase iSpring software due to a deadline (simple add-in piece of software - worked Ok though).

Adobe came back and said they will look into the issue of my specific project (thank you Jayashree).

JLevy, If this works for you, then if will work for me, sooner or later,  this way or another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources