Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pods do not stay Put in Robo version 8

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pods don't stay put.

I support about a dozen workstations and Robohelp version 8 authors.  (Recently updated to version 8)

In version 7, we could set up a Pod environment and it would stick.  In fact, most of my users had two environments, a simple one for lots of editing and a more complex one for building outputs. They could switch environments and loved it.

Now, everytime we open Robohelp version 8, the pods:  1) Slide together in a clump.  2) Some, such as TOC, simply go away and have to be reopened.

Again, this is happening on a dozen workstations, using Windows XP Pro with all the patches updated weekly or more often. Also, I have single-screen and two-screen workstation where we used Extended Windows DeskTop. (IE, the two monitors form one big wide monitor.)

All help appreciated. I'm getting way to much, uh, "fan" mail on this one. 🙂

Thanks, Dennis O'Neal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not seen that reported or encountered the problem across a number of machines.

I have found the RH7 created environments are working OK but I guess it could be worthing resaving them from RH8.

It should be OK to access the environments from anywhere but maybe it would be worth putting them in a local folder and loading them from there. For Word purposes, RH does not like Roaming Profiles that are on a network, hence wondering if the was a similar issue with environments. I don't think this is the case but clutching at straws here.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a good try.

I created a c:\robohelp environment folder.

Saved a favorite screen arrangement.

Closed Robohelp.

On opening, the pods were all clumped.

So, I clicked Load Environment, opened the local folder, and opened the new environment file.

The Pods didn't move an inch, but continued to be clumped in one place on the left hand screen.

I put a formal help ticket into Adobe yesterday, but have not heard back from them. I'll copy you on the answer. Er, if it works.

Thanks for the good try. I had been mulling it over and your note put me into action.

Dennis M. O'Neal

Business Analyst

California Cancer Registry

1825 Bell Street, Suite 102

Sacramento, CA 95825

(916) 779-0277

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dennis

Like Peter, I've not seen it reported either. I also haven't encountered it myself. However, RoboHelp 8 is new so you may be encountering an issue we haven't seen yet.

You did say something that makes me pause a bit.

The Pods didn't move an inch, but continued to be clumped in one place on the left hand screen.

Does this happen across the board? Or only on workstations with multiple monitors?

I'm wondering if you are seeing an issue whereby something was saved from a multiple monitor setup and perhaps a single monitor doesn't understand it?

Then again, you say it worked just fine in version 7. So I'm doubtful that will help here.

Just pondering out loud a bit... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2009 Apr 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Rick I was wondering whether the dual monitor setup may have been the issue. I have a blog post that describes some difficulties and a link to a workaround.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, thank for each of you who have responded with good advice and ideas.

1), In Robohelp 7, I left my TOC pod open all the time. In Robohelp 8, it closes when I close Robohelp and I have to reopen it and drag it into position.  Is this a bug or design decision by Adobe?  I put this question to Adobe last week and still have not received a response. I'll let everyone know, if and when they respond.

2) The disapearing TOC pod through me off track and disguised the fact that not all the POD moved in all arrangements.

Thus

3) If I arrange PODs on a standalone laptop, one screen, they stay put, except for the TOC as mentioned above.

4) If I arrange PODS on a workstation with two visual display units using extended desk top, the PODs do not hold their position.

However, if I arrange the PODs on the left visual display unit, they do hold their position.

All held their position in Robohelp 7. I worked with two screens full of PODS constantly.

In summary.

Is there a version 8 design problem with PODS and extended desktop?

Is there a version 8 design change that prevents the TOC from remaining open based on the saved environment.

Again, thanks for helping me get this far.

Dennis O'Neal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only comment on the TOC issue. I've just done some tests and found the same as you report. Open the TOC pod in RH7 and it stays open. Do the same in RH8 and it always closes.

I cannot imagine this is a design decision so I think you should report it as a bug.

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I submitted this as a bug between v7 and v8.

Also, thanks for the links to additional Adobe pages.

Dennis M. O'Neal

Business Analyst

California Cancer Registry

1825 Bell Street, Suite 102

Sacramento, CA 95825

(916) 779-0277

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Pods clumping. They even move back to monitor one while using RoboHelp 8.I think it's a GUI problem with dual monitors.Version 7 worked fine.

Other Problems:

I find RoboHelp 8 very slow compared to Version 7 which worked fairly fast on my PC. Now it can take three or four minutes just to open a project and 30 seconds or more to open a topic dialog box. I have no clue why it's so slow. Like working online with a phone modem. Waiting is painful.

I also found that bullets did not come over the same when opened form Version 7 projects. Where bullets were indented and used graphics, they came over as regular bullets and not indented. These bullet styles were not identified as list, but as text. I had to recreat the bullets styles.

I can deal with formatting problems, but I cannot deal with how slow this softwaer runs. I will need to return to Version 7, if I cannot figure out why it's so slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Where is your project when you are working on it? What drive letter is it on? If it's on a network location, that's probably why it's so slow. Move it to your local C drive and work on it from there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the slowness problem, have a look at the "RH8 is slow opening topics in

the WYSIWYG editor" link on Peter Grainge's site:

http://grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm

Regarding the bullet problem, I had the same issue. In the end, I edited

the .css file in a text editor.

Good luck,

Debbie Sarig

www.lingotip.com

To: Debbie Sarig <debbie_sarig@magicsoftware.com>

Date: 05/19/2009 10:34 PM

Subject: Re: Pods do not stay Put in Robo version 8

I have the same problem with Pods clumping. They even move back to monitor

one while using RoboHelp 8.I think it's a GUI problem with dual

monitors.Version 7 worked fine.

Other Problems:

I find RoboHelp 8 very slow compared to Version 7 which worked fairly fast

on my PC. Now it can take three or four minutes just to open a project and

30 seconds or more to open a topic dialog box. I have no clue why it's so

slow. Like working online with a phone modem. Waiting is painful.

I also found that bullets did not come over the same when opened form

Version 7 projects. Where bullets were indented and used graphics, they

came over as regular bullets and not indented. These bullet styles were not

identified as list, but as text. I had to recreat the bullets styles.

I can deal with formatting problems, but I cannot deal with how slow this

softwaer runs. I will need to return to Version 7, if I cannot figure out

why it's so slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp