• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the difference between generate and publish in RH8?

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a merged project in RH 8. Can I use the generated files to distribute to users? Do I have to publish? What's the difference? Why do I have to publish. I'm doing Webhelp.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

The Publish feature is provided to help reduce network traffic in your environment.

That is, RH clears all files in the folder where you Generate on your local drive, whereas RH only Publishes what has changed between your local Generate folder and the server location you're publishing to.

That means less traffic than manually copying all the output files every time there are changes.

There's no difference since at least X5.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the article on my site about merging with RH7 as that explains the difference between generating and publishing.

Are you putting the files on your server or on servers belonging to your customers? The former could be done by you or your developers, that's a matter for discussion with them. The latter would more usually be handled by your developers or installers depending on how the application gets installed.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Publish feature is provided to help reduce network traffic in your environment.

That is, RH clears all files in the folder where you Generate on your local drive, whereas RH only Publishes what has changed between your local Generate folder and the server location you're publishing to.

That means less traffic than manually copying all the output files every time there are changes.

There's no difference since at least X5.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. That's such a good and helpful description.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp