Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

According to what TOC does Printed Documentation generate a Word document

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

According to what TOC does 'Printed Documentation' generate a Word document?

It is not generating it exactly according to the TOC I have created for the HTML Help. E.g., it is taking a topic here and there that I did not put in the TOC and anyway it is including it in the printed documentation.

TIA

- avi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

See Print Issues on my site.

When you first create a print layout, RH takes whichever TOC you select as the default. If you only have one TOC, obviously it takes that. You can then accept that or amend it but thereafter the two are no longer synchronised. Change the TOC and the print layout will not change.

What you can do, because the TOC editor is easier to work with, is go into the print layout and use the buttons to remove the previous layout and insert the updated TOC.

See www.grainge.org for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(In RH7) If you have more than one TOC, you can select which one you want to use on the first page of the SSL wizard.  On the second page, you can customize the chapter layout/order further if you like, but the things you add and remove affect both the TOC and what's actually included in the output.

Try checking what is on the second page of the wizard in the chapter layout box against your TOC.

Ben

GryphonMountain.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only one TOC.

I will examine the options more.

Thanks,

avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Print Issues on my site.

When you first create a print layout, RH takes whichever TOC you select as the default. If you only have one TOC, obviously it takes that. You can then accept that or amend it but thereafter the two are no longer synchronised. Change the TOC and the print layout will not change.

What you can do, because the TOC editor is easier to work with, is go into the print layout and use the buttons to remove the previous layout and insert the updated TOC.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.I think I must have just ignored that possibility after the first

time, and thenceforth assumed that the two would remain in sync.

I will try it when I go back to that client later in the week.

Thanks!

avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a new RH 7 project, which is actually a copy of a previous Help project.

The first time, I remember that I could somehow command RH to take my TOC as input and
generate a Word doc according to that TOC.

But now I can't seem to find that option anymore.

What I see i the Print Doc setup is two stages in the doc setup 'wizard' on of which is named

"Print Document Content - Printed Documentation"

and the next stage being named:

"Print Document Section Layout - Printed Documentation"

which both invite me to build my TOC piecemeal.

Pls help...

TIA

- avi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Peter says: "You can then accept that (your default TOC) or amend it but thereafter the two are no longer synchronised. Change the TOC and the print layout will not change."

However, you always have the option to edit the chapter layout in the "Print Document Content" wizard page, at any time and for any layout. The reason for the flexibility provided here is for eliminating empty online "book" titles from the printdoc, or eliminating or reordering chapters and topics for designing a particular printdoc layout. Simply use the left/right double arrows for moving all from one pane to the other, and single arrows for individual books and topics.

For example, I've created separate printdoc layouts in one large project called Chap1, Chap2, etc. for producing specific Word docs for review by the appropriate SMEs (less intimidating than sending all of them the entire doc).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp