• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"File in Use" error when generated doc file or Printed Documentation output

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2009 Apr 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to generate Printed Documentation, during (what's reported as) the Updating images... phase, I get the first of a couple of messages in a pop-up box:
Title: File in Use
Text of message: tmp.doc is locked for editing by 'mhopkins'.
Do you want to:
o Open a Read only copy
o Create a local copy and merge your changes later
o Receive notification when the original copy is available.
OK / Cancel
If you select an option and press OK, it continues to try to process.
and ultimately fails with this message:
Internal error encountered, Failed to generate Printed Documentation.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is "Mhopkins"? is it you? The problem is caused by "them" having a lock on the file required to produce the output. Try closing/restarting RoboHelp. If that doesn't work, reboot your PC and report back if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm mhopkins. I've tried overwriting the file I would typically generate as well as, in the case of tmp.doc, creating a brand new file. The results are the same regardless.

Yes, I have attempted to reboot, clean out all the "old" broken files, and I'm still seeing the same results. I am able to build WebHelp, my other output format, cleanly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible there's a limit on how big the file can be? When I created a new printed document format and added one of the books to it, I was able to generate a doc file easily.

During the last attempt, I looked at the file after the crash and it is generating up to a point, but the TOC is:
Table of Contents
Error! Bookmark not defined.

But the index is basically fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2009 Apr 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open one of the supplied sample projects and try to create a printed document from that.

Is your project on your local drive?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't see this post.  I did not try the sample products, but I have no problem generating the other 10 or so help projects I use.  Only this one fails.

I tried to divide it in half, do only half the topics in one file, and half in the other, and I was still unable to generate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updating again:

Given the impending deadline, it became suddenly imparative that I have working PDF file.

This is how I got one:

Print to a word documnent

choose "Save to a different file" when I get the error
After all the errors complete processing (Word started, crashed, and restarted a few times) and Word opens with the recovered file:
manually generate the toc in word

save as with a new name (save doesn't work, still gives an error about how the file is locked to me)

Save as PDF

If I had to guess, it's choking on creating the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp