Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp RH8 Pods

Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH7, I could arrange the pods so that the Topic List appeared as a tab in the same pod as the topics when I opened them. This arrangement had the topic tabs along the top, and the Topic List tab was in amongst them. But I just don't seem to be able to do this in RH8.

(The idea is to maximise the area available for the Topic pane, while hiding the Topic List when I don't need to see it. One click brings it back into view. I really don't want the Topic List to have its own space on the screen, otherwise I'll need a screen 2 feet wide to be able to work properly. And no, I don't want to dock it...)

Can anyone manage to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there

It would help tremendously if you could post a screen capture of how it looked in 7.

Use the Camera icon next to the smiley so it goes into the post and we see it immediately. Otherwise it gets queued and we have to wait.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

Sorry, I don't see a "Camera icon next to the smiley"?

Anyway, I fixed it by loading one of Peter's environment files and rearranging that to what I wanted. Copy attached - just change the extension from authorgraphic_rh8_env1.txt to authorgraphic_rh8_env1.rhs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Do you use the Web interface to post and reply?

If so, please take a look at this link and you will see what I'm referring to.

If you are replying using E-Mail I'm not sure it would work.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

(I just click the "Reply" link at the bottom. I see what you mean about the Camera icon. I'll try it sometime.)

The reason I choose this environment is that, on a screen of 1024 x 768 resolution, my environment offers 41% of the total screen area for working in a topic, plus full-height views of the Project Manager, ToC, Index, Glossary and Topics List panes. It is much easier to work with than the default environment, which only allows 28% screen area for the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL

I wasn't questioning why you wanted a particular layout. To each his/her own there.

I was just curious to see what it was you were trying to duplicate in order to see if I could find a way in 8 to do it easily. But you found your answer and that's great!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2009 Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys, (Vivek for info)

Forum http://forums.adobe.com/message/1929418

The "answer" didn't work after all; RH8 Trial is still crashing when I load

environment files.

So I uninstalled RH8, rebooted the PC, reinstalled RH8, and took a video

capture of the resulting crash and the steps I took to get there. See

attached "authorgraphic_robohelp_8_crashed_exe.txt". Just change the

extension to .exe and run it. (I have virus-scanned it with Norton

Anti-Virus, so it's OK.)

Sorry, I couldn't get along with Captivate; this is done with BB Flashback.

Is this a bug? What next, I wonder? Try running it on another PC?

Philip

Sincerely,

Philip Tory,

Authorgraphic Ltd UK

Tel: +44 (0)1452 - 500 639

www.authorgraphic.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 01, 2009 May 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys,

Adobe confirms IT IS A BUG in RH8. Their support guy said:

"Hi Philip,

We found out that saving TOC, Index and Glossary in the environment and then loading that environment crashes RH8. This is a bug to be resolved. So for now please don't save them in your environment.

For merging Topic List pod with the topics, just drag it up and then right click on the top bar and unselect dockable. This should work.

Thanks,
Vivek."

I tried starting with the RH8 default environment, but it is just impossible to dock the Topic List with an opened Topic, so that the Topic List is just another tab at the top alongside the open Topics tabs.

If I get any more news, I'll keep you posted. (There was another forum posting about RH8 pods and it looks like it's the same issue.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Good to know that it is a known problem so that you don't waste time on it.

Based on the tests I have just done, if you save any one of those three pods, on reopening the project, the environment is not loaded. If you then manually load it, no matter where you have saved that pod in the environment, on attempting to use it, RH crashes.

I have no problem loading the Topic List into the Editor though. That still works as in RH7.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Hmmm. I wasted more than half a day chasing this one around! And I cannot get the Topic List into the Editor, no matter what I try to do. See attached movie. [The file is "authorgraphic_robohelp_8_undockable1_exe.txt" - change the extension to .exe. (Scanned with Norton AntiVirus).]

Cheers,

Philip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to my site and email me the layout to which you want the Topic List added.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the offer; but I don't think you can help.

Part 1 of what I want to do is prevented by a bug in RH8; let's hope they fix it soon, as it cannot be achieved without causing a crash. I just need the ToC, Index and Glossary to be separate tabs in the pod that contains Project Manager, Project Setup, Tools, Conditional Build Tags and Single Source Layouts like this:

authorgraphic_rh7_environment1.png

I can create and save the environment; but if I close and reopen RH8, some tabs at the bottom are missing. If I then reload the environment file, and select the ToC, then RH8 crashes.

Part 2 is about having the Topics List as a tab at the top of the edit pane. I have discovered from Adobe support the fix: you have to open the Topic List, drag it somewhere and drop it so it is floating, and only then you can right-click on the header and clear the tick from "Dockable". (New feature?) Remove the tick, and Bingo! - it maximises into the available space and becomes a tab in the edit pane.

I think I'll have to bumble along with what works until the fix is issued.

Regards,

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

==================

*STOP PRESS*

==================

I just opened RH8 afresh. The environment didn't look the same, so I re-loaded the environment file that I had just created, and RH8 went through the same CRASH sequence as I had before.

Could this be a corrupted RH8 installation?

Or is it because I didn’t install the *Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CS4*, because I'm a Tech Author and wouldn’t know how to write scripts?

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

STILL GOT CRASH PROBLEMS

I've still got problems here - see my previous posting above.

Here is my preferred environment taken in RH7 - see attached screen capture. I can see the whole topic list at a single click, so I can check templates attached, indexed or not, etc; and drag a topic to the ToC. Then I can switch back to a topic at a single click, without losing screen space to an extra pod.

1. In RH8 it seems to be impossible to nest the Topic List pod with the Topics pod.

2. If I try to load an RH7 environment file that includes the Topic List nested with Topics, it makes RH8 crash.

Any further ideas will be most welcome.

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes me wonder if you do have an installation problem as you suggested. However, I would doubt this would be the only problem you see.

The standard-flyout environment that is on my site was created in RH7 and works in RH8 for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys, (Vivek for info)

Forum http://forums.adobe.com/message/1929418

The "answer" didn't work after all; RH8 Trial is still crashing when I load

environment files.

So I uninstalled RH8, rebooted the PC, reinstalled RH8, and took a video

capture of the resulting crash and the steps I took to get there. See

attached "authorgraphic_robohelp_8_crashed_exe.txt". Just change the

extension to .exe and run it. (I have virus-scanned it with Norton

Anti-Virus, so it's OK.)

Is this a bug? What next, I wonder? Try running it on another PC?

Philip

Sincerely,

Philip Tory,

Authorgraphic Ltd UK

Tel: +44 (0)1452 - 500 639

www.authorgraphic.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

STILL GOT CRASH PROBLEMS

I've still got problems here - see my previous posting above.

Here is my preferred environment taken in RH7 - see attached screen capture "authorgraphic_rh7_environment.png". I can see the whole topic list at a single click, so I can check templates attached, indexed or not, etc; and drag a topic to the ToC. Then I can switch back to a topic at a single click, without losing screen space to an extra pod. Worked beautifully in RH7.

1. In RH8 it seems to be impossible to nest the Topic List pod with the Topics pod, unless I start with an RH7 environment file. Then I can modify it and save it from RH8. But if I try to load the RH8 env file from a new session of RH8, it CRASHES again.

2. So, is this the reason: when I try to load an RH7 or RH8 environment file that includes the Topic List nested with Topics, it makes RH8 crash. << BUG??

Attachment: "Philip's RH7 RH8 environment files zip.txt" - just change extension to .zip and unzip it. Contains one original RH7 env file, and one of Peter Grainge's that I managed to open, modify in RH8 and save, to create the same environment.

Can anyone try the attached env file and tell me if they get the same problem please?

Any help most appreciated.

Philip

Message was edited by: Philip Tory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to do that on a production machine.

I have used the standard flyout from RH7 without issue and I have modified it in RH8. Both work without any problems in RH8. Given this is a problem that only you are seeing, I don't think it is a RH bug as at least some other users would be seeing it.

Are you able to install the trial version on another machine and see if you still get this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Yes, of course, you're right. I'll maybe install it on my laptop and see if that works OK...

Can you drag the Topic List pod into the same pod as the Topics pod (when you open a topic), so that it appears as a tab at the top, next to the Topic tabs?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I am misunderstanding your question, that is how I got it there in the layouts on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant starting from scratch in RH8. I just couldn't get it to drop into place.

Anyway, it's just crashed again, so I'll try an uninstall and reinstall.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys,

The "answer" didn't work after all; it's still crashing.

I uninstalled RH8, rebooted the PC, reinstalled RH8, and took a video capture of the resulting crash and the steps I took to get there. See attached "authorgraphic_robohelp_8_crashed_exe.txt". Just change the extension to .exe and run it. (I have virus-scanned it, so it's OK.)

What next, I wonder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp