• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optimizing .AVI export for import to AVID?

Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone give me tips on optimizing .AVI export for import to AVID? I've sized the Captivate project to 720X486 and when I look at the published .AVI it looks pristine! I was super pumped b/c we've been looking for a way to put software demos into video without having to spend an arm and a leg on a scan converter. When I import the .AVI into Avid it becomes all distorted. It seems like an Avid issue, but I figured I'd ask here. Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"all distorted" how? Like the image is squashed into a different pixel dimension? Is AVID expecting non-square pixels by any chance?

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, yes AVID is non-square. I tried just about every import setting AVID has with no luck. I finally gave up and decided to just lay the Captivate files over my video file in After Effects...I loose one generation and it's an extra step but the final video looks much better. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to do the same thing right now, only get the Captivate file into Premiere, or Final Cut.

Was your workflow exporting the file as swf to after effects and then putting the after effects file into your NLE ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I exported an .AVI from Captivate and an .AVI from AVID and then laid the Captivate .AVI over my AVID .AVI in AE and exported from there. If you leave (a text) placeholder in your edited Premiere or Final Cut export, you have no problem matching them up.

I had no luck getting the AE file into AVID without distortion...my final video has to be size to 320X240 for web, so I need the best possible screen captures to optimize viewing at that size. It's not much of an issue if you're final is going to be 720X480 or 640X480.

Hope that helps! If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources