Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Options for saving/emailing topics

New Here ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Our set-up is RH7, creating .CHM files (one parent, mutliple children).

I've received a request to research the possibility of the following:

• Allowing a user to somehow "grab" a topic from Help and either save to disk or email directly to a given email address.

I've asked a similar question before when the first request was made, but I'm getting a fair bit of pressure to come up with some sort of solution. The issue pertains to our support staff wanting to send specific topics to customers.

To give some background: originally, our company created internal documents for new features in Word, written by the devs. Because previous tech writers often imported these directly into Help with little change, support is used to them being the same as Help. And, because they're word docs, it was easy for them to simply cut and paste content from multiple docs into a single Word doc (which can then be turned into a single PDF if need be).

Development wants to get rid of these documents, so that the Help system becomes the sole source of knowledge. As a result, support is now getting frustrated because this practice (cut&paste multiple content into a single doc) can't be done with our Help files due to formatting issues and, more importantly, because images apparently cannot be copied out of Help (they fail to display when pasted).

Unfortunately, both sides want this issue resolved through me - i.e., they want me to find a way of somehow mimicking in Help what they've been able to do with Word docs (as described above).

To me, this means one of the following:

1. Find a way to get full cut-and-paste functionality with our Help. This means being able to paste content into a Word doc while reasonably retaining format and, more importantly, having screenshots and other images show up as well.

2. Find a way of being able to save or email selected topics directly from the compiled .chm help file.

Are there any add-ons, scripts, anything that would allow this? The only option I can think of at the time is printing to a PDF printer, the only issue being that if they want to send several separate topics, this means sending multiple small PDFs. Again, what they really want is something that mimicks the existing practice with Word documents.

As stated, we are RH7 users with .chm help files. I believe there wouldn't be an issue changing to a different help format if that allowed us to satisfy this request. Unfortunately, upgrading to RH8 (or any similar $$$ move) is off the table given the current economy.

Thanks for any help! Apologies in advance for slightly re-asking the same question, but I really am facing some pressure to come up with a different answer than "It can't be done" or "You will have to print each topic to an individual PDF".

Again, thanks for any solutions anyone here might have!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution that we came up with for this issue was to create a WebHelp (in addition to the CHM) and put it on our company Website.

Then, the technical support right-click on the topic and send the path from the properties. (The URL in the address field is always the same address, since we use a parent-child Help.)

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but maybe this will help.

Regards,

Debbie Sarig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debbie

You might find this link useful.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/mailto.htm

By clicking on a link in that topic, an email was created containing the text

"This page might help: http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/mailto.htm"

That text can be whatever you want.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two questions on the email link:

1. Is there any way to make the sendto email address user-entered, like through a pop-up? Your example appears to be hard-coded, correct?

2. Am I right in understanding that this would need to be added to each individual topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  1. Just remove the address that is shown in the topic but leave the quotes.
  2. Yes. A good find and replace tool such as FAR should help there.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp