Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding the font button to a CHM file

Apr 21, 2009 Apr 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a question from one of our clients requesting that we add a way to change the font size of the compiled .chm files we deliver. I did look through various postings about adding a font button but can't get this to work for me. The font size is specified in the various .css files associated with the help file (as a point size such as font-size: 10pt;). I also tried changing the font-size to normal, large, etc. with no success.

I'm using the technical communication suite to create the .chm files.

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right in thinking that the font size of the CHM output is controlled by the style sheet. Also CHMs can not be used in conjunction with the Ctrl + Mouse wheel to increase/ decrease the zoom level. This is available with web based output (e.g Webhelp). So as far as your options are concerned, it looks like changing the font size in your .CSS or deploying webhelp and allowing the users to set their own zoom level.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps create another CHM layout that uses a .css with larger fonts, and provide that CHM together with the standard one?

Then provide a link or button in the standard CHM (in the toolbar or in each topic?) labeled "Large Print Version" or some such?

A bit kludgy, I know, but an out-of-the-box solution might be your only option.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Can you tell me if I can still add the font button. I have a .chm that I found on the web and it works fine with the font button. I just can't get it to work for me.

Thanks again.

Lynda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at Peter Grainge's Reverse Engineering topic, for several ways of decompiling that .chm file. You'd then have better luck analysing how they accomplished that.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/reverse_engineering/reverse_engineering.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Leon's advice is always good, but in this case it unfortunately won't help you achieve the goal.

This is because some "magic" is involved in making a Font button appear. It may not even be possible to achieve any longer with RoboHelp. I haven't tested it in Eons. I've documented the steps involved in my Tips and Tricks file available at RoboWizard.com. Click here to visit the site.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your replies. Even with the tips and trix, I couldn't get this to work with RoboHelp. Seems to me it's a great little feature though and this wasn't the first time one of our customers had requested the ability to change the font size. Can Adobe not put it on a list of change requests for the next release? (I've no idea how one gets requests to them) You wouldn't think it would be too hard to code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add a change request here.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry. That was the old link. Try this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp