Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML Help properties not seeing Default Window options in RH8

May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RoboHelp 8 I have edited the Project Setup > Windows > (Default) window so that it has a new name, new deifnitions, etc. Saved the changes.

Then I go to Single Source Layouts > Microsoft HTML Help > Properies > Default Window to try to select the new window, and it's not there - it only shows (Default). I added a new Window in Project Setup; but when I come back to HTML Help Properties, neither is there:

cannot_find_windows.png

Can anyone throw any light on this? (Or is it another bug? - surely not!)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe when you created the window, your default layout was not HTML. The Default Window field only shows HTML windows, not unreasonably.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip

If you look at that screen capture you supplied it is clearly visible that the two window definitions are WebHelp window definitions. As far back as RoboHelp X5, we had the two Window types and what you got when creating a new window was dependent upon what your Primary Layout was configured to be.

Here is a screen capture from X5 for you to reference:

tmp1.png

So even back in X5, in order to create a CHM window definition, you first have to nominate Microsoft HTML Help as the primary layout.

This is even more confusing in that when you were making the edits to the window definition it clearly states WebHelp and the dialog is totally different. Not sure how you missed that.

tmp2.pngtmp3.png

Have you ever considered attending a RoboHelp class?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

Well, well... I never used Windows settings for WebHelp before - that's why I missed the heading; the only ones I ever saw or used were for HTML Help, and I rarely use that as Primary Layout. WebHelp is my customers' preferred build, and I only run HTML Help is a secondary layout for comparison of appearance. It seems, from what I can find in the Help Guide, that WebHelp windows only apply to WebHelp Pro - which none of my customers ever wanted.

So I've learned something - if WebHelp is primary, I have to select HTML as primary before I can create the Window; then switch primary back to WebHelp. But for ordinary WebHelp, these Window settings don't apply anyway. Thank you. (I did a RH X5 course and still have that 600-page Manual; I only wish I could afford a course every time the next version of RH is released.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Yeah, there aren't all that many folks using WebHelp Pro.

Actually the dialog is a bit misleading. While it certainly reads WebHelp Pro and certainly applies to that format, it also applies to good old WebHelp and FlashHelp outputs too. That is, as long as you are using the WebHelp API to manage Context Sensitive Help.

Yes, I recall that being a trip up spot in X5 where things changed based on what the primary layout was configured to be. And that was one of them.

It would be nice if we were simply provided an intermediate dialog that prompted us to choose the window type we wanted, eh?

Hint hint - Everyone Click This Link and Suggest it!!!!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick,

I sent it through the Wish List.

Interesting - the Wish List stopped me sending a message of more than 2000

characters; so I trimmed it down to 1800 (character count in MS Word) and it

STILL wouldn’t accept it. So I had to split it into two and it went through

OK!

Cheers, Philip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp