Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing Autonumbering when importing Word Documents

May 07, 2009 May 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to import a Word document into RoboHelp8 for HTML Help and want to eliminate the numbers used in the Word Heading styles as well as the numbers imported as text in numbered lists.  I am much more familiar with the import of FrameMaker files--for which there is an "Ignore autonumbering" option in the style conversion settings.  As for Word documents, do I have to manually remove the numbers and fix the formatting in each and every generated topic?  I'm sure it must be easier than this--am I doing something wrong?  

~Kim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm guessing you didn't try the options I suggested to you when you asked this question over in the HATT list?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably clicked the wrong button, what is a HATT list? I haven't had a chance to try anything yet, sorry if I goofed something.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Perhaps I'm mistaken. I replied to a Kim on the HATT (Help Authoring Tools and Techniques) list on the same issue. As the question seemed the same and someone named Kim asked, I assumed it was you!

Probably wasn't if you aren't sure what HATT is.

Basically here is what I replied with there:

In RoboHelp 8 you have new options with dealing with Word content. The whole dialog is different. Additionally, you used to only be able to
import and you were done. Now you can establish a link between Word and RoboHelp. If Word changes, Bing! RoboHelp alerts you to that little fact. You then bring the changes in and update content.

I'm guessing you have experimented with the different styling and pagination options. One thing that may trip you up is the way lists are
handled. You may need to examine the conversion settings and click the Other category (no, not the other white meat... LOL) Try enabling the Convert Word List options.

Perhaps experiment with the options and see what you get.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, glad to know I didn't goof. BTW your suggestion worked, so now all I gotta do is convince the dev guys that they need to look at their function call(s).

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp