• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 7 Map ID Limitations? (Numeric, character length, number of map ID

Explorer ,
May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 7 and outputting to FlashHelp.  I have 184 map IDs for the context-sensitive help in our software application.  Are there any limitations on the map IDs (numeric only, character length, or number of map IDs)?  I've searched RoboHelp Livedocs and the online help as well as the forum and have only seen references that the map IDs might only work with numeric characters.  The developers would like to give me the field IDs in the application, which are numeric characters currently 5 digits, but will certainly expand.  How many map IDs can I have?  (I have about 500 topics in my project).

I've just figured how out to assigned multiple map IDs to a topic, so that works, but need to know the above.

Thanks.

Gina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 08, 2009 May 08, 2009

Hi again

To my knowledge there is no limit. But as with anything, there HAS to be SOME limit. But I doubt you would ever hit it.

If you look at the Edit Map IDs dialog, click the Options... button.

tmp1.png

See the option to prefix IDs? Does that give you what you are seeking?
tmp2.png

Note that the field was empty. I manually typed the IDH_ in there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just experimented with the map IDs and when I tried enter 9999999999 as the map ID, I got this error message:

"Please use a number between 1 and 4,294,967,295 for a map number".  You cannot enter alpha characters, just numeric.

Does anyone else have a different experience?  Still need to know if there's a limit on the number of Map IDs I can have.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Based on the response I would surmise you may have a total of 4,294,967,295 map IDs. I would be astonished to discover you needed more than that.

I don't believe anyone has ever documented the maximum number you may have. As there are help systems out there that are pretty darn massive and I've never heard of anyone encountering an issue with exhausting all possibilities, I'd say you are safe.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, it wasn't that you can have over 4 million map IDs...you just can't enter a map ID number with a value greater than

4294967295. So as far as you know, there is no limit for the amount of map IDs you can have, correct?  From what I've tested in RoboHelp 7, you can only enter numeric map ID numbers (guess that's why they call them numbers).  It seems like you could use alpha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

To my knowledge there is no limit. But as with anything, there HAS to be SOME limit. But I doubt you would ever hit it.

If you look at the Edit Map IDs dialog, click the Options... button.

tmp1.png

See the option to prefix IDs? Does that give you what you are seeking?
tmp2.png

Note that the field was empty. I manually typed the IDH_ in there.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick,

Thanks for your help.  Our developers will only be using numeric characters, so this will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp