Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why unable to transfer book to PRS-700 Reader from Digital Editions

May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Digital Editions, and bought two books from eBooks.com ... both downloaded OK.  Authorized my SONY PRS-700 and transferred the first book OK ... but when I go to transfer the second book I get the error "No permission to copy document here." ... either on the internal PRS-700 memory or the SD card.  Called SONY ... no support.  Called/emailed/chatted w. Adobe Support .. no support "ADE is free ... go online" ... and found nothing.  Spent the better part of a day on this %$$#^%$% problem ...  De-authorizing and then Re-authorizing the Reader has no effect. Also tried on the Mac ... but not supported ...  :o(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Leaving on a trip in a few days and would really like to take the book!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 05, 2009 May 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that you have permissions to read that book on devices other than your computer?  DE will display the permissions in the "More Info" dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got me!

I downloaded the book from eBooks and just assumed I could read it on

a SONY Reader ... How do I get "permission" ...

Adobe's "security measures" have always been extremely frustrating ...

from the huge "keys" to complicated procedures .. which

probably dissuade more users than they prevent fraud ...

R.Sugden M.D.

Jackson, WY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it is our software that is enforcing the permissions it is the booksellers (and distributors) that are setting the permissions.  If you got a book that is restricted to the device you bought the book on (again check the More Info dialog in ADE), the only way to get more permissions is to contact the bookstore.  However since they are setting the permissions based upon their own contractual relationships with the distributors/authors, I wouldn't expect you to have much luck there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I received another email from Adobe Support w. a PDF answer

(attached) ..

I don't have a clue how I "authorized" Digital Editions ... I don't

have any email

from Adobe w. an 'authorization code' ...

I don't want to 'de-authorize' Digital Editions if I don't have a code

to 're-authorize' it.

Why does it need to be 'authorized' in the first place?

========================

Dear RICHARD SUGDEN M.D.,

We have updated your case #180917288, please view the attached PDF

for case notes or visit our Web

Email Support Portal to view your case history or send us

information on your ongoing case at

http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal/

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care.

Note: This email address cannot receive messages. Please do not

reply to this email.

The attached PDF requires Adobe Reader, which you can download here

for

Free: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/

You may need to adjust your spam filter to accept PDF attachments

from @adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hard to comment without seeing the full response, but they are suggesting that you do essentially what you've said you already done:

Authorize Digital Editions to your Adobe ID

You said you did this in your first post, but you can double check this by selecting "Authorize Computer" for the Library menu.  If you are authorized to an AdobeID it will bring up a dialog saying what AdobeID you are authorized too.  If you have never authorized the computer to an AdobeID it will ask you to enter in your AdobeID, however pay CAREFUL ATTENTION to the wording of the dialog and if you get a dialog telling you will not have access to your content on the machine DO NOT PROCEED as you have gotten yourself into a very bad state, and the best solution will be to create a new AdobeID and to authorize with that.

Make sure you have authorized your device to the same AdobeID.  Unfortunately there is no good way to check this on the Sony Readers, so to make sure you can deactivate your device (Ctrl+Shift+E), unplug and the replug it and it should bring up a dialog to ask you to authorize the Sony Reader to your current ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines