Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8: JavaHelp (1.1.3) does not display TOC in Windows XP, but only in Vista

New Here ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the following problem. I have been using RoboHelp for HTML now for a while to generate JavaHelp projects.

Since I am generating a context-sensitive help and my customer is only able to implement a help project based on JavaHelp 1.1.3, I cannot use JavaHelp 2.0, though there is a whole series of restrictions with JavaHelp 1.1.3.

With RoboHelp v7, everything worked fine when creating a JavaHelp 1.1.3 project. With RoboHelp v8, however, the TOC is missing in the JavaHelp. It is not displayed. Usually, I am working on my main PC under Windows XP.

I tried to generate a JavaHelp 1.1.3 version with RH 8 under Vista (which I have on my notebook), and the TOC was displayed. The project source is a Web Help project.

When I copy the entire project with the generated JAR file to the PC with Windows XP installed, the TOC is not either displayed.

Is this a known bug or might there be something else with the Java installation that I should consider? As far as I know, there was a similar issue with TOCs and JavaHelp 1.1.3. under RoboHelp X5 long time ago.

I have Windows XP SP2 installed. Would SP3 probably resolve this problem?

I appreciate any answer that might help fixing this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Best regard,

Lena

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Lena,

I guess I have found the problem why javahelp is not showing the TOC when generated from RoboHelp.

Each JavaHelp file has a helpset file with extension .hs. This HS file tell javahelp about the help file structure as to where is TOC file, index file, and other information.

the problem lies in this ,hs file itself.

The problem line is

<view mergetype="unite-append">

you need to change this line to

<view mergetype="javax.help.UniteAppendMerge">

and now try running the javahelp again, you should be able to see the TOC. thats what I did to make TOC appear in javahelp.

Let me know whether this information helps you or not, so that other people can also use this information

Thanks

Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Praful,

many thanks for your reply and helpful workaround.

I just tried to adjust the hs file according to your suggestion, and everything worked fine

I guess that this will help many other users having the same problem. And I hope that with the next RoboHelp patch, this will be fixed.

Thanks again,

Lena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Lena,

Thanks for confirming. Good to hear that given workaround is working as expected

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Lena,

I forgot to add a basic point here, RoboHelp by default provides an option to select the javahelp output version, which is by default 1.1.3.

if you change that to javahelp 2.0, then this TOC problem goes away.

go to javahelp SSL properties and change the version option.

javahelp.jpg

Hope this solves the problem in RoboHelp itself, without changing any code.

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Praful,

Thanks for the additional information, but unfortunately the environment of

my customer currently does only support 1.1.3 (I am creating a

context-sensitive help that is embedded into their application). Thus, I

cannot use JavaHelp 2.0.

But anyway, many thanks for this info.

Kind regards,

Lena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Praful may have finished for the day so I hope he will not mind me stepping in. I think his point was that instead of making the code change by editing the HS file, if you select the 1.1.3 option in the dialog, RoboHelp will write the correct code for you.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp