• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High CPU usage with RoboHelp-brings everything to a grinding halt

Explorer ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More and more I find that RoboHelp is hogging CPU and brings everything to a grinding halt.  I don't know why this started happening or what I can do to minimize the impact when it does.  I usually have to use the Task Manager to close everything and then restart my computer.  I save often in an attempt to make it less painful.  I also noticed something new yesterday (right before Robohelp took over my computer).  I was in a topics properties and I was trying to save a template to the topic.  I changed the template and hit apply then closed. The changes weren't reflected. When I opened properties again the old template was in the template field.  I thought maybe I mistakenly picked the wrong template and changed it again.  Again the changes were not reflected.  This happened on every 4th topic as I proceeded.  I would have to close all topics I had open to 'reset' and avoid the issue.  Anyone know if my Robohelp project has become a rebellious teenager while I wasn't looking?  What can I do and are the 2 issues related?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Try renaming / deleting the CPD file and reopening the project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming / deleting the CPD file and reopening the project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the CPD file in my project.  How exactly do I go about renaming / deleting?  I mean I know how to rename and delete but not comfortably in this particular situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If in doubt, create a copy of the whole project first.

This is a standard method of fixing many issues that has been around since Noah was a lad. See Opening Projects on my site. Things changed in RH7 so that nothing gets lost. In RH8 there is a tick box to automatically create a new CPD every time the project opens. The fact that Adobe have built that in should reassure you. That said a a copy project gives you a backup just in case.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By renaming your CPD file you are affectively making a backup from which you can recover should you need to. If the file isn't there, and it effectively wouldn't after you rename it, it is rebuilt.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK the project is backed up and I'm raring to go.  My only question at this point is what happens after I rename the CPD file.  According to Peter Granges 'Opening RoboHelp Project'  "...the procedure is to rename the CPD file and then open the project with the XPJ file but read on a bit before you rush ahead and do that".  How do I go about opening my project again using the XPJ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess but would I click on the open folder in Robohelp 7  > My Projects > My Project Name > MyProject.xpj to reopen the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent guess!

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter and Colum.  SO far so good.  I had no broken links and so far (knock on wood) it's looking good.  I'll have to wait and see if I encounter the high CPU again.  Hope not!  As usual I'm always grateful that there are veterans out there willing to help the newly enlisted.  Have a great weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will encounter it again. As my site explains, the CPD is an Access database and it is a feature of them, not RoboHelp, that they periodically need compacting. That needs Access and deleting and rebuilding it has the same result, without needing Access on your PC. It is an accepted procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This compacting thing, I guess that explains why my CPD file was at 65,396 KB and is now at 2,132 KB.  I thought it was behaving rather beastly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp