Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 .indd file association problem

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

I'm running a PC with XP and recently upgraded my software from CS3 to CS4. My computer has stopped associating .indd files with InDesign. I've tried to set the file association manually using the Open With command though InDesign doesn't appear as an available program. When i browse for InDesign and try to set it as the default program it still ignores it. The only way to get a file to open is to go into InDesign first and then do File->Open.

Any tips would be appreciated,

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you right-click the InDesign file in Explorer and choose Open With, click Browse, and then locate the InDesign executable file in c:\program files\adobe\adobe indesign cs4. Double-click the InDesign file, and then select the "Always use..." option. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob - still no joy.

It just stays the same, defaulting to a generic photo library program. 

I tried re-typing the file extension via the tools in the Windows Explorer, but can't get the In Design icon in the 'Open With' list - only a default icon that won't work and gives an error that it's not a valid Win32 application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you remove CS3 after you installed CS4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the problem occurred afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay -- had to get some sleep.

I've seen a lot of posts like yours, and they seem to share the uninstall the old after installing the new scenario. I think the uninstall is removing some component or registry value used by CS4 as well as CS3. My advice is to reinstall CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need is Associate This. It's an excellent program that allows you to control which programs open which extensions. I used it when I was still using CS3 even though I had CS4 installed. I wanted all files to open in CS3 so associated them with CS3. Then when I was ready to start using CS4 I associated them with CS4.

http://www.spearit.com/about_AssociateThis.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Peter's response is closest to what's really going on. Association of .INDD files with a particular version of InDesign and the display of the InDesign file icon representing the version of InDesign that last saved the file is controlled by a combination of registry entry and a “shell extension” program. If either the registry entry and/or the “shell extension” program (a .DLL) gets corrupted or moved, double click on .INDD stops working. I can imagine situations in which such corruption or movement might occur if multiple versions of InDesign are on the system and uninstalls don't complete properly. This is one of the few cases where I would endorse an uninstall followed by a reinstall of InDesign (unfortunately, unlike Acrobat, InDesign doesn't have a “self-healing” or “repair” function).

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I'm having trouble posting from e-mail.

What I said was

Have you tried going to Windows Explorer> Folder Options > File Types

select INDD

Advanced > Edit > Open action

and see that it contains

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS4\InDesign.exe" "%1"

I'm guessing the CS4 location, because I'm still on CS3.

The quote marks round the "%1" are important. I have seen them omitted after going through a standard use of the interface and that won't work.

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2009 Jun 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. I was having the same problem and what you said here totally corrected it...

Have you tried going to Windows Explorer> Folder Options > File Types

select INDD

Advanced > Edit > Open action

and see that it contains

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS4\InDesign.exe" "%1"

I'm guessing the CS4 location, because I'm still on CS3.

The quote marks round the "%1" are important. I have seen them omitted after going through a standard use of the interface and that won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information was extremely helpful.  You're right,  the quotation marks around the %1 are important.  Without them it just opens the program but not the actual file you clicked on.

I've been trying to figure this problem out for weeks and this solution worked perfectly.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem as the OP. Also made the mistake of uninstalling CS2 after installing CS4... I tried the fix of pasting in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe  InDesign CS4\InDesign.exe" "%1", which restored a partial icon like someone else described (as if the icon were on a blank page). Unfortunately now when I double click to open a file from explorer it tells me it can't find the file at all. I can still open files through InDesign and Bridge.

It's too late in the day now to uninstall and reinstall CS4, but that's what I plan to do first thing Monday morning. Would that be wise?

Thanks,

Kristina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I think at this point it might be best to start off as fresh as possible.  I would find the method of cleaning CS4 and CS2 off the system, you can Google for the proper cleaning method.  I find it best to try and work on a clean slate in regards to the CS4 install.  We had some trouble with a new system for one of our folks so we found that it was easier to re-image the system. 

GoodLuck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Would that be wise...

Yes. In future there is no need to remove old versions (I go back to ID 2 on this machine). and many reasons not to. If you insist on uninstalling something, though, do it first, then install the new version. Keep in mind, too, that it is required on mack to install in version order, and recommended to do so on Windows, which means it's a lot of work if you change your mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help.

I will keep that in mind in the future. I was following the instructions of one of the managers here (I'm a designer, not an IT person). I think the logic was something like: 1) not sure if my computer could run CS4, so install it without removing CS2 just to be safe. Since CS4 was working fine, then I was told to remove CS2 since I had very very very little space left on the computer. Almost none. Needless to say a new computer is in my future.

So thanks again. When I get to upgrading to CS4 on my home computer, I will be sure to go about it the correct way!

Kristina

PS: You guys are always so quick to reply and very helpful. Appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstall, clean and reinstall = success!

Thanks, all's fixed now.

K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Grace......THANK YOU!!!!!!

Took a while to find an answer to this problem, so glad you posted this even though a year ago.

~sincerely,

curiousJAY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That worked for me. I'm glad there are people knowledgeable about PCs in the forums!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the input guys, i'll try the reinstall and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2009 Apr 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same problem with Acrobat Pro CS4.

I upgraded from CS1 and now cannot do anything to associate Acrobat with PDF. Driving me freakin' crazy!

From the looks of the posts, may have to uninstall. Hate doing that...unless anyone else has a clue.

Thanks

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2009 May 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I contacted Adobe tech support and the solution they offer is to uninstall and reinstall. I wanted to avoid that but it looks like this is the only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2009 May 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - uninstalling CS2 Suite destroyed indd associations - and they could not be reset by Explorer / file types. I had to reinstall CS4 and then it was OK.

Vlad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Acrobat from CS4 and reinstalled. I am still having the same issue.

Do I have to uninstall entire CS4? I really don't want to do this because I have about 10 or so website FTP info in Dreamweaver I am going to lose.

Please advise before I take the step of uninstalling entire CS4.

Thanks

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2009 May 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

I finally resorted to uninstalling ALL of CS4 and starting over.

Same deal.

No file association with Acrobat or Illustrator by default.

Using Windows to associate "open with" does not work either.

Acrobat is the painful one because I have to open the application first, THEN drag the file in. Extremely irritating.

Anyone have anything better to do let me know. I was told once I completely uninstalled and reinstalled it would all work out.

Disappointed to say the least.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines