• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message when I try to publish

Explorer ,
May 21, 2009 May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a duplicate layout and named it WebHelpInternal".  I generated without a problem but I'm receiving the following error message when I try to publish. "Publishing has been cancelled. The system cannot find the path specified."  Why am I getting this message?  What can I do so that I can publish this SSL?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You are saying the Publish works fine for the layout before you duplicated it?

To my knowledge, the layout settings should simply duplicate. Including the publishing destination path. I would then expect that it wouldn't matter which layout you were using, as the Publishing destination would then be the same.

Can you post a screen capture of your Publish settings? Basically it sounds like somehing has changed with your publishing destination. Hard to say what.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Snippet 55 on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - the publish works fine for the layout before I duplicated it.  I can publish the primary layout and another layout created from the primary with no problem.  Peter, I looked at Snippet 55 and gave it a try with no joy. 

Initially, I duplicated the topic and afterwards created a folder to publish all the SSLs.  I made sure all the publishing locations were changed to reflect the new path.  I thought maybe this threw a wrench in the works.  I deleted the newly created topic and started overduplicating the layout from the primary topic with the new path information.  Nothing I've tried so far has allowed me to publish.

I have attached a word doc of my publish settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish settings.doc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was pretty cool, even cooler if it worked!  I love learning trade secrets!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL - Looks like you tried to insert the DOC inline? If so, that's why it failed. The camera icon is for inserting images. Probably the same image you inserted into the doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be easier than what I'm making it out to be.  I alt+print screen to get the image and click on the camera.  I get a box that gives me an option to browse.  I'm confused which make me because I'm sure it isn't this difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Destinations.bmp

Ok I think I figured it out. But it isn't readable to you, now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try publishing to a local folder to see if you have any issues with that.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a folder on my local C:\Test Publish and generated and published, no problem.  The plot thickens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really, that is what I expected. When you published the new layout to the server, did you create a new folder as covered in the Snippet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I renamed the folder I had been trying to publish to and then created a new folder with the renamed folders previous name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publishing to a new folder has always worked. First try a new folder with a new name and changing the layout to reflect that. If it still fails, then check your permissions. I don't think it is that as I believe the message is slightly different. Worth checking though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a brand new folder and tried re-publishing, no luck. I though maybe the folder name was to long so I shortened it a bit, no luck.

I can ask IT about my permissions but what specifically am I looking for?  I duplicated this SSL from the primary which I have no problem publishing.  In addition I created another SSL from the primary a few weeks back and publish with no problems.  I'm not sure what specific permission I might be lacking which would prevent me from publishing this particular SSL to the same network folder as the other two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that your permissions have been changed. You need IT to confirm that you do have permission to write to the folder(s) concerned.

Am I reading correctly that the layouts have been duplicated? Maybe it is worth creating a new one. Duplicating something that is not working will not correct it. That said, the layout published OK to your local drive so the network is in the frame at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I'm not duplicating the bad SSL.  I can generate and publish the SSL that I duplicated from (#1).  I can generate and publish an SSL that I duplicated from the aforementioned SSL a few weeks back (#2).  I generated and published both today.  What I am unable to do is publish the last SSL (#3) I created yesterday from the former SSL (#1).  I could publish to a local folder I created but for some unknown reason I cannot publish to the same folder the other two SSL folders are in.  Wouldn't my permissions for #3 be the same as #1 which I duplicated from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take your point but I don't have anything else to suggest.

It's too late here for me to read through all of this thread but I assume all three layouts are pointing to different folders. Also what if you create a fourth layout, any change.

To be sure we are talking about the same message, perhaps you could screenshot the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee

I just finished with a Captivate class. If you like, I'll be happy to set up a GoToMeeting where I can observe your situation first hand and try to assist.

Let me know if you want me to do that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publishing cancelled.bmp

Peter,

I tried another SSL and received the same message.  Is there a limit to how long the name should be?  Maybe I should try a shorter name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not give it a go

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any limit but it won't do any harm to shorten it.

I think you currently have a folder on the server and are publishing to different folders within that, correct?

Can you publish to a folder higher up?

Can you publish to a different server?

I know the arguments for this not being a permissions issue but did you check that out?

Rick offered to screenshare to see what you are doing. Was there a reason for not taking that up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:  I think you currently have a folder on the server and are publishing to different folders within that, correct?

Renee:  Yes that is correct.

Peter:  Can you publish to a folder higher up?

Renee:  Yes I tried this with WebHelpInternalTest and it generated and published withou issue

Peter:  Can you publish to a different server?

Renee:  I never tried that and I'm not clear on what you mean exactly.  By server are you referring to the last screen in the SSL properties where I point to a folder or literally another server?

Peter:  I know the arguments for this not being a permissions issue but did you check that out?

Renee:  No I didn't, I guess I was being bit stubborn on that issue, sorry.

Peter :  Rick offered to screenshare to see what you are doing. Was there a reason for not taking that up?

Renee:  For some reason I never saw the offer til this morning because otherwise I would have been all over his offer.  Not sure why I never got the email til this morning notifying me that I had received another response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By "different server", I was referring to publishing to a different physical machine. If the problem comes back, speak to your IT people and they would help on that one.

Glad it is all sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp