• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you create translated versions of a project under version control?

New Here ,
May 22, 2009 May 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have a project under version control that has been translated. How do we best create projects for the translated material so that the webhelp output matches the English version only translated? Is it possible to create a project with a name that reflects the translated language, copy the English project file to the new folder, change the name to coincide with the translated version, import all of the associated English files, and then exchange all of the English files with the translated ones?

Thanks,

Allen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Allen and welcome to the community.

See if this article helps.  You didn't mention which RH version you're using, but except for the features specifically called out as being in RH8, the process should work for RH7 projects.

I use Subversion for version control, and I haven't had any additional challenges from having localized projects in version control—you check the files in and out as you do the English ones. Check out the article and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Note that the article gives recommendations, but you certainly can do your localized versions as completely separate projects.  If you do it that way, for each separate project, copy the English project to a new location, rename it if you want, and change the project language.

Hope this helps,

Ben

GryphonMountain.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should say I haven't had any version control challenges directly related to localization.  I do have to implement one little workaround to get my outputs to check in correctly, but as far as I know it's specifically a Subversion/RoboHelp conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp