20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 12:42 PM by Paul R Stark

Stripes

ptelian

I have some interview footage where the subject is wearing a shirt with vertical stripes. The way that displays on screen is a bit distracting. I think it's a conflict of the direction of the lines. Does anyone know a way to minimize this effect?

• 1. Re: Stripes
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about, but did you try with another shirt?

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 2. Re: Stripes
            BedtymeBear Level 2

Maybe you're having problem with footage flicker or field order?  See "Create interlaced or non-interlaced clips" and maybe "Eliminate flicker" in the Help for some ideas about this.

You don't really provide enough info about the issue and where precisely you're seeing it to know for sure. As Harm implied, you should follow the guidelines in this thread to get an effective response.

• 3. Re: Stripes
              Powered by Design Level 4

if the file is small post a copy here so we can see the footage.

You could always upload to YouTube and give link.

much eaiser to judge if we could see what you mean

• 4. Re: Stripes
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like the Moire effect.

Use the always deinterlace or flicker removal in the Field Options.

Next time get a plain shirt.

• 5. Re: Stripes
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  Use the always deinterlace ...

That is a good way to get rid of half your vertical resolution.

• 6. Re: Stripes
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This is  a common problem and has been around since video was on 2" tape. The thin vertical lines shimmer.

The secret is doing it like the folk on TV have done it for many decades - wear solid color shirts. Next best thing is to ask the subject to wear a jacket to cover up most of this. It is really a problem if the colors even come close to a green, or blue screen - think "weatherman."

While you might get some improvement with deinterlaceing, or field order reversal, the problem is likely to remian, maybe to a lesser degree.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Stripes
                      Thrill Media Level 2

I would bring the footage into After Effects and slighlty blur the shirt while masking out the face so that it remains in focus. Kind of a shallow depth of field look.  Well, actually I would use MB Looks to clean this up, but if you don't have that it can easliy be done in AE.

As others have said watch out for those tight patterns when shooting, they will always cause some type of moire.

Good luck with it!

Curts

• 8. Re: Stripes
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides stripes, houndstooth and Glenplaid patterns can create this, and worse.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Stripes
                          ptelian Level 1

It is the Moire thing. Sorry, I didn't know what it was called. It's too late to do a plain shirt...but live and learn!

• 10. Re: Stripes
                            That is a good way to get rid of half your vertical resolution.

Its either half resolution or annoying flickering: take your pick.

• 11. Re: Stripes
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If it's distracting, Thrill Media's (Curtis?) idea might get you by. You do not need to do this in AE, as PrPro can handle it well. Caveat: use sparingly.

Here's a tutorial on "Softening Skin Tones," in PrPro. You can use similar for the shirt. Remember, do not overdo it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Stripes

The method described in the tutorial is called 'Instant Sex'.

So that is what you are trying to achieve: a sexy shirt.

Or are you to sexy for your shirt.

• 13. Re: Stripes
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that I just deleted a bunch of e-mails with similar subject titles. Do you think that these were really PrPro tutorials and I deleted them all by mistake?

Hunt

• 14. Re: Stripes
                                    cjfevans Level 1

My problem has nothing to do with shirts - I've learned that lesson.

I've scanned a bunch of large, fairly high quality still photos and used them, with motion effects and scaling,  ala Ken Burns, in a 30 minute video. I do not see the moire effect (if that's what it is) in the scanned images but once assembled, a ripple effect is clearly visible on all large surfaces (walls, water surfaces, etc.). De-interlacng helps a bit so does the rendering process.

Any ideas what might cause it?

• 15. Re: Stripes
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

How large are the still images that you are using?

If they are much larger than the video Frame, then you are using the resizing algorithms in PrPro. You will get MUCH better quality, and have more control, if you do the resizing in PS instead. Then, Import the resized images into PrPro. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on automating the resizing, if that is needed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Stripes
                                        cjfevans Level 1

Thanks. I didn't appreciate the difference and I usually import stills letting PrPro do the resizing during the import process.

But in this case I need the images to be large size (typically 2300x1400) so that I can do the Ken Burns thing.

I'll check the forum thread.

Colin Evans

• 17. Re: Stripes
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In the case of panning on a zoomed out image, I usually calculate what number of pixels I need and resize to that. Usually, I'll end up with one folder for just the Frame Size, with maybe two more with the larger resized images. Part of this is because of the quality loss with the PrPro resizing algorithms, and part of it is to keep the resource overhead to a minimum.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - PrPro has a limit of 4000 pixels in the largest dimension, but you're well below that.

• 18. Re: Stripes
                                            lestra7

Definitely it is a shirt problem.

• 19. Re: Stripes

Agree, same problem.  The lines in the picture are narrower than a tv scan line, that makes the water looks like its actually moving.

There is an Anti-Flicker filter in the Effect Controls which is a blur.

The Flicker Removal in the Field Options blends the fields slightly together.

Always Deinterlace removes one field and interpolates.

Often it is trial and error because of the amount of Moire the movement is causing.

• 20. Re: Stripes
                                                Paul R Stark Level 1

I think there are some you just can't fix. Witness the below moiré effect. None of the suggestions worked on this one. And it looks even worse when the video rolls. What I didn't know was that it can look good on camera or PC using OnLocation, but the horror is revealed once you get to PP.

Jamie Moire effect.JPG

By the way, I think I am the only one in this thread who put the accent over the word moiré. Does that warrant a "helpful answer" reward?