• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 8 deleting topics when updating Word documents

New Here ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having problems consistently updating from the linked Word documents.  Upon either Update or Force Update, RoboHelp deletes all the current topics linked to the document and leaves one untitled topic.  If I Update again, all the topics reappear but all modifications like Index entries, Conditional Build Tags, Master Page assignments are gone.  All the topics have the Preserve Modification boxes checked; I only want to add new topics.

This same document updated correctly three weeks ago.  I have not changed the Conversion setting for Word documents nor did I add any new styles in the Word documents.  All the Word documents were creating using three levels of headings, a new topic created for each heading, a minimun number of styles, and no figures.

I am on Windows XP and RoboHelp 8.0.0.203.  The project is located at C:\rh_projects\Project Online Help and the documents are located at C:\Project Online Help Docs.

I have rebult the .cpd file regularly and the .xpj file once.  This did not help.  I have 230 topics attached to 10 Word documents: the smallest has 10 topics and the largest has 66 topics. The project has over 650 topics with figure topics.  It doesn't matter how many topics, the Word documents have all had this problem one time or another.  One of the other Word documents wouldn't update so I left it until I had time to redo all the topics , then three weeks later it updated just fine and I hadn't done anything. (I have rebuilt this project once when it was a third this size.  It took me a week)

Any advice\help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
May 21, 2009 May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

By chance are you changing verbiage inside Heading 1 or 2 or whatever you are paginating on? If so, this will change the Topic Filenames and cause issues if you have already constructed a TOC and made other changes.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2009 May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response.

One document I did try to rename a topic.  I deleted it out of the topic list and out of the TOC and told it not to regenerate.

The other document, however, I did not change any of the Headings, I am only trying to add a new Heading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to unlink the topics from the original Word document and maintain the changes to the topics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again

I suppose if I were to try and do this I would take the following approach.

Make the changes to the topics.

Right-click the topic and choose to Explore. This should open Windows Explorer at the topic location.

Copy or move the topic from the folder where it is in Windows Explorer to another folder in the project.

From inside RoboHelp, right-click and import the topic into the project as if you had created it from scratch.

I'm thinking that would accomplish it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp