35 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2011 1:22 AM by steelfox2006 RSS

After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Anti-M

Update to this...

AFter a very nice Adobe tech support person guided me in the right direction to AE troubleshooting techniques I was able to get the HWaccelerate box to re-appear (trashed the prefs and it came back) Wether or not it helped was another story but at least I knew how to repair it. Anyhow worked all day, went home and came back this morning to find an error message "After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop." We had not run remote desktop, all I know is due to financial mandates we have to have a screen saver that locks the computer after 10 minutes of inactivity, and the minute the machine locks, I lose HW acceleration. Now yes I could run a program to stop the screensaver, but that would be against the financial laws of the company for a public company so it's not an option. So is there an actual fix for this?

TIA,

Chris

Wondered if anyone can guide me in the right direction, here's the story...

Company got me the swankiest Dell precision t7400;
      XP64
      Dual Quad Cores
      With a Quadro FX 5600
      and two dell 22" monitors
      etc.

Anyhow, I have to run three monitors, so we were going to add my old Quadro FX 1700, but it's an AGP card, and no slot on the t7400...so we bought a new Geforce FX 5200 and slapped it in a PCI slot...not the best solution, but it works...two 5600's are too costly and there's only one PCI-E slot as far as I know.

In any case, it's not really performing as well as I think it should. I primarily run After Effects, and the box to turn on HW accelerate comps in the prefs is greyed out. OpenGL works very poorly and when I drag through my timeline (W/O OpenGL, just Adaptive Res) the image pixelates to point were I can't really see it. I am runiing AE on the two Dells on the 5600 (1680x1050 x 2) and using the 5200 to power a third monitor (1366x768 - only res I can use due to the animations I am creating are displayed on the monitor as the end product) showing the comp.

Any ideas to improve the performance?

Nvidia Drivers are:
      Bios 60.80.13.00.01

And
      DirectX 9.0c

Thanks in advance,

ChrisN

• 1. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
          Sébastien Périer Community Member

Can you try to disable remote desktop in Windows ?

Because maybe it enables the option when to computer is locked.

• 2. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
            Anti-M Community Member

Tried that, although the company will not allow it...it didn't work anyways. It seems like that's just an error message that really isn't correct. You see I have found that if I hit ctrl-alt-delete and lock my workstation, then type in my password and come back, the message pops up. It also writes s message to the prefs file and sets this flag to "0"

["Prefs.Display"]
            "Hardware Accelerate Viewers" = "1"

Once it does that I am unable to re-check the HW accelerate box. unless I shut down AE and trash my prefs (or edit the file and change the 0 to a 1)

Which is really getting annoying since I have to restart and edit everytime this happens. I have posted to the Nvidia forums, as well as submitted this to Adobe. Hope to hear from someone soon.

C

• 3. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Anti-M: This may seem completely unrelated, but may I ask what's your target medium? I mean, is this for broadcast, for the web?

• 4. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

I am asking because a triple monitor configuration with different video cards certainly sounds like asking for trouble when it comes to OpenGL and display acceleration.

Many, many users work with a dual computer monitor set-up, plus a video monitor which is fed by a video output card (like those from AJA or Decklink), not by a display card. Because of this, doesn't try to use that card as a display device. But this is more for people working for broadast or video screens in general (in which case, a video monitor preview is much more reliable than a computer screen).

• 5. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                  Anti-M Community Member

Yes I understand why you would ask. But we make game machines, and the video screen in them is a very specific flat panel with very specific resolution and very specific color...to match this i need to be able to view my anims on the exact monitor. But to work on that would be torture! So two screens running AE, and the third just to view my work, but it is a VGA monitor....

• 6. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Well, you do have an unusual set-up

I think the first troubleshooting procedure could be: remove the Geforce 5200 card and don't attach the VGA display at all. As a test, I mean.

Try to work like that and see what happens. If it works properly, you found the culprit and from there you can decide a course of action. If it doesn't, at least you'll know it's something else.

• 7. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                      Mylenium ACP/MVPs

Anti-M wrote:

Nvidia Drivers are:
                      Bios 60.80.13.00.01

The minimum for CS4 should be the 181.34 ones, that contain specific fixes for some issues. Other than that - you're clearly calling for trouble running "asymmetrical", even more so on XP64. If you can, upgrade to Vista64 - or buy identical cards (I know, I know, not an option...). ;-) As a minor, unplug the card to test and also double-check the BIOS for a fixed order of your graphics adapters. Auto-configure may not give the proper order. If all else fails, manually manage your PCI bus.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                        Anti-M Community Member

We are on CS3 still...I will check the Bios. I assume i want the 5600 (on the PCI-e) first?

• 9. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                          Anti-M Community Member

Anyone with an Nvidia card wanna see if they get the same results?
                          I am running After effects CS3 on XP64, however I can reproduce the error on all our Nvidia systems (all Xp32 or 64) in our office. A file doesn’t matter, After Effects CS3 running with no file loaded will produce the same error.

Steps to produce: (you may want to copy your prefs file first as this will surely corrupt it)

Start After Effects CS3

Go to the Edit->Preferences->Previews Menu and enable OpenGL

Go to the Edit->Preferences->Display Menu and check “Enable Hardware Acceleration of Composition Layer and Footage Panels

Quit After Effects to save the preferences file

Restart After Effects

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and Lock workstation

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and enter password

When windows comes back I get an error message stating:

"After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop."

I have disabled remote desktop and the error still happens.

The worse part is, now if you go into After Effects preferences you can no longer select the Hardware Acceleration of Composition Layer and Footage Panels checkbox (because it immediately writes to the preferences file stating HW acceleration is not available.

Chris
                          antim is online now Report Post Thanks

• 10. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                            Sébastien Périer Community Member

I have AE CS3 8.0.2 and AE CS4 9.0.1 on my Vista 32/nvidia based laptop.

In my CS3 pref menu, all open gl stuff is grayed and OPen GL info says that my Gfx card is not compatible.

In my CS4 pref menu, everything is enabled, and never had a problem when locking my workstation.

So i guess this is an issue resolved in CS4 ? Have you tried to reproduce this behavior with the CS4 demo available on adobe.com ?

• 11. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                              Anti-M Community Member

No, corporate policy would be against running trial software...good thought though.

• 12. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                Anti-M Community Member

Okay, I installed CS4 trial and I get no opengl video card found....

• 13. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Anti-M: The use of two or more graphics cards to drive multiple monitors is discouraged by Adobe, as pointed out in the tech document Troubleshoot OpenGL problems in After Effects CS4.

As I said in my previous post, the first troubleshooting step would be removing the second card and any disconnect any monitors attached to it. You may want to follow other troubleshooting procedures described in that document.

A dual monitor set-up through a single dual-head card is preferred. You could then use an inexpensive video preview card with HDMI output (like, for instance, the Decklink Intensity) to send the Comp contents to any HDMI-capable monitor or television. Since this is handled by the video output feature, you get full screen playback without it getting in the middle with display acceleration. I understand that your needs are different from people doing broadcast work, so a preview option restricted to PAL/NTSC/720/1080 standards may not suit your needs.

• 14. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                    Anti-M Community Member

Yes we removed the second card early last week and ununstalled and re-installed all drivers. I still have the same issue. HW accelerated viewports disabled.. I also d\led CS4 trial and it will not even recognize this FX5600 as an OpenGL card.....would really like some help from Adobe on this one.

Chris

• 15. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Anti-M: I wanted to get back to you so you don't get the impression that there's no reply from my side.

Unfortunately, OpenGL/Display Acceleration is one area that is famously troubled by the myriad of card/drive combinations in the Windows side of things. Forum members like Mylenium have been helping users enormously by sharing his knowledge of this complex matter in the forum.

The reason why there's a web page at Adobe with supported GFX card/driver combinations is because those were tested directly. Card/driver combos outside that list may or may nor work depending on many factors.

Personally I am passing along all feedback on OpenGL/Display Accerlation to the team. Unfortunately,  I can't always share information with users. For the time being, HW Acceleration of panels is one feature many people happen to have turned off. It's simply not that well-known. In any case, it shouldn't be critical in terms of UI performance.

• 16. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                        Anti-M Community Member

Yes I understand this. It is not a matter of the HW Accelerate button getting disabled. it is a matter of very poor performance with a very high end graphics card. I just thought this might be a "symptom" of the problem. I have been working very hard to correct this problem and appreciate any help you can offer. I just want this very high-end system to perform like it should before we purchase several more.

TIA,

Chris

BTW: I know this card was on the list for CS3 because before we purchased the computer I looked here to find the best card fro AE. It is also on the Approved/Tested list for CS4 at http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405445 so I  installed the CS4 trial, and AE CS4 dosen't even recognize this as an OpenGL card?

• 17. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                          Anti-M Community Member

I wonder if this might give you some idea of what is wrong. I ran RealtechVR OpenGl Extensions viewer, and this is the result;

Renderer: Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                                          Memory: 1536 MB
                                          Version: 2.1.2
                                          Shading language version: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Max texture size: 8192 x 8192
                                          Max texture coordinates: 8
                                          Max vertex texture image units: 32
                                          Max texture image units: 32
                                          Max geometry texture units: 32
                                          Max anisotropic filtering value: 16
                                          Max number of light sources: 8
                                          Max viewport size: 8192 x 8192
                                          Max uniform vertex components: 4096
                                          Max uniform fragment components: 4096
                                          Max geometry uniform components: 2048
                                          Max varying floats: 60
                                          Max samples: 32
                                          Max draw buffers: 8

Extensions: 165

GL_ARB_color_buffer_float
                                          GL_ARB_depth_texture
                                          GL_ARB_draw_buffers
                                          GL_ARB_fragment_program
                                          GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow
                                          GL_ARB_fragment_shader
                                          GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
                                          GL_ARB_imaging
                                          GL_ARB_multisample
                                          GL_ARB_multitexture
                                          GL_ARB_occlusion_query
                                          GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
                                          GL_ARB_point_parameters
                                          GL_ARB_point_sprite
                                          GL_ARB_shader_objects
                                          GL_ARB_shading_language_100
                                          GL_ARB_shadow
                                          GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
                                          GL_ARB_texture_compression
                                          GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
                                          GL_ARB_texture_env_add
                                          GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
                                          GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
                                          GL_ARB_texture_float
                                          GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
                                          GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
                                          GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
                                          GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
                                          GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
                                          GL_ARB_vertex_program
                                          GL_ARB_vertex_shader
                                          GL_ARB_window_pos
                                          GL_ATI_draw_buffers
                                          GL_ATI_texture_float
                                          GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once
                                          GL_Autodesk_valid_back_buffer_hint
                                          GL_EXT_abgr
                                          GL_EXT_bgra
                                          GL_EXT_bindable_uniform
                                          GL_EXT_blend_color
                                          GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate
                                          GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
                                          GL_EXT_blend_minmax
                                          GL_EXT_blend_subtract
                                          GL_EXT_Cg_shader
                                          GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
                                          GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test
                                          GL_EXT_draw_buffers2
                                          GL_EXT_draw_instanced
                                          GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
                                          GL_EXT_fog_coord
                                          GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
                                          GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample
                                          GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
                                          GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
                                          GL_EXT_geometry_shader4
                                          GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters
                                          GL_EXT_gpu_shader4
                                          GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
                                          GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil
                                          GL_EXT_packed_float
                                          GL_EXT_packed_pixels
                                          GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object
                                          GL_EXT_point_parameters
                                          GL_EXT_rescale_normal
                                          GL_EXT_secondary_color
                                          GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
                                          GL_EXT_shadow_funcs
                                          GL_EXT_stencil_two_side
                                          GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
                                          GL_EXT_texture3D
                                          GL_EXT_texture_array
                                          GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object
                                          GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc
                                          GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc
                                          GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
                                          GL_EXT_texture_cube_map
                                          GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
                                          GL_EXT_texture_env_add
                                          GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
                                          GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3
                                          GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
                                          GL_EXT_texture_integer
                                          GL_EXT_texture_lod
                                          GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
                                          GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp
                                          GL_EXT_texture_object
                                          GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent
                                          GL_EXT_texture_sRGB
                                          GL_EXT_timer_query
                                          GL_EXT_vertex_array
                                          GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats
                                          GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip
                                          GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat
                                          GL_KTX_buffer_region
                                          GL_NV_blend_square
                                          GL_NV_conditional_render
                                          GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color
                                          GL_NV_depth_buffer_float
                                          GL_NV_depth_clamp
                                          GL_NV_fence
                                          GL_NV_float_buffer
                                          GL_NV_fog_distance
                                          GL_NV_fragment_program
                                          GL_NV_fragment_program2
                                          GL_NV_fragment_program_option
                                          GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage
                                          GL_NV_geometry_shader4
                                          GL_NV_gpu_program4
                                          GL_NV_half_float
                                          GL_NV_light_max_exponent
                                          GL_NV_multisample_coverage
                                          GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint
                                          GL_NV_occlusion_query
                                          GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil
                                          GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object
                                          GL_NV_pixel_data_range
                                          GL_NV_point_sprite
                                          GL_NV_primitive_restart
                                          GL_NV_register_combiners
                                          GL_NV_register_combiners2
                                          GL_NV_texgen_reflection
                                          GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc
                                          GL_NV_texture_env_combine4
                                          GL_NV_texture_expand_normal
                                          GL_NV_texture_rectangle
                                          GL_NV_texture_shader
                                          GL_NV_texture_shader2
                                          GL_NV_texture_shader3
                                          GL_NV_transform_feedback
                                          GL_NV_vertex_array_range
                                          GL_NV_vertex_array_range2
                                          GL_NV_vertex_program
                                          GL_NV_vertex_program1_1
                                          GL_NV_vertex_program2
                                          GL_NV_vertex_program2_option
                                          GL_NV_vertex_program3
                                          GL_NVX_conditional_render
                                          GL_S3_s3tc
                                          GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
                                          GL_SGIS_texture_lod
                                          GL_SGIX_depth_texture
                                          GL_SGIX_shadow
                                          GL_SUN_slice_accum
                                          GL_WIN_swap_hint
                                          WGL_ARB_buffer_region
                                          WGL_ARB_extensions_string
                                          WGL_ARB_make_current_read
                                          WGL_ARB_multisample
                                          WGL_ARB_pbuffer
                                          WGL_ARB_pixel_format
                                          WGL_ARB_pixel_format_float
                                          WGL_ARB_render_texture
                                          WGL_ATI_pixel_format_float
                                          WGL_EXT_extensions_string
                                          WGL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
                                          WGL_EXT_pixel_format_packed_float
                                          WGL_EXT_swap_control
                                          WGL_I3D_genlock
                                          WGL_NV_float_buffer
                                          WGL_NV_gpu_affinity
                                          WGL_NV_multisample_coverage
                                          WGL_NV_render_depth_texture
                                          WGL_NV_render_texture_rectangle
                                          WGL_NV_swap_group

Core features

v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
                                          v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)
                                          v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)
                                          v1.4 (100 % - 15/15)
                                          v1.5 (100 % - 3/3)
                                          v2.0 (100 % - 10/10)
                                          v2.1 (100 % - 3/3)
                                          v3.0 (85 % - 18/21)
                                          v3.1 (40 % - 2/5)

OpenGL driver version check (Current: 6.14.11.7864, Latest known: 6.14.10.9778):
                                          Latest version of display drivers found

According the database, you are running the latest display drivers for your video card.

Compiled vertex array support
                                          This feature improves OpenGL performance by using video memory to cache transformed vertices.

Multitexture support
                                          This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.

Secondary color support
                                          This feature provides an alternate method of coloring specular highlights on polygons.

S3TC compression support
                                          This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.

Vertex array range support
                                          This feature improves performance in some applications by using AGP for dynamic vertex transformation.

Texture edge clamp support
                                          This feature improves texturing quality by adding clamping control to edge texel filtering.

Vertex program support
                                          This feature enables a wide variety of effects via flexible vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.)

Fragment program support
                                          This feature enables a wide variety of effects via per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.)

Texture anisotropic filtering support
                                          This feature improves the quality of texture mapping on oblique surfaces.

Occlusion test support
                                          This feature provides hardware accelerated culling for objects.

Point sprite support
                                          This feature improves performance in some particle systems.

OpenGL Shading Language support
                                          This feature enables high level shading language for shaders.

Frame buffer object support
                                          This feature enables render to texture functionality.

Extension verification:
                                          GL_EXT_bindable_uniform has been added to the extensions list of Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          GL_EXT_color_subtable was not found, but has the entry point glColorSubTableEXT
                                          GL_EXT_copy_texture was not found, but has the entry point glCopyTexSubImage3DEXT
                                          GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 has been added to the extensions list of Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 has been added to the extensions list of Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          GL_EXT_paletted_texture was not found, but has the entry point glColorTableEXT
                                          GL_EXT_paletted_texture was not found, but has the entry point glGetColorTableEXT
                                          GL_EXT_paletted_texture was not found, but has the entry point glGetColorTableParameterfvEXT
                                          GL_EXT_paletted_texture was not found, but has the entry point glGetColorTableParameterivEXT
                                          GL_EXT_subtexture was not found, but has the entry point glTexSubImage3DEXT
                                          GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc has been added to the extensions list of Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          GL_KTX_buffer_region has the entry point glBufferRegionEnabledEXT missing!
                                          GL_KTX_buffer_region has the entry point glDeleteBufferRegionEXT missing!
                                          GL_KTX_buffer_region has the entry point glDrawBufferRegionEXT missing!
                                          GL_KTX_buffer_region has the entry point glNewBufferRegionEXT missing!
                                          GL_KTX_buffer_region has the entry point glReadBufferRegionEXT missing!
                                          GL_NV_conditional_render has been added to the extensions list of Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          GL_NV_geometry_program4 was not found, but has the entry point glProgramVertexLimitNV
                                          GL_NV_geometry_shader4 has been added to the extensions list of Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          GL_NV_half_float has the entry point glVertexWeighthNV missing!
                                          GL_NV_half_float has the entry point glVertexWeighthvNV missing!
                                          GL_NV_multisample_coverage has been added to the extensions list of Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          GL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point glGetVideoi64vNV
                                          GL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point glGetVideoivNV
                                          GL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point glGetVideoui64vNV
                                          GL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point glGetVideouivNV
                                          GL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point glPresentFrameDualFillNV
                                          GL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point glPresentFrameKeyedNV
                                          WGL_NV_multisample_coverage has been added to the extensions list of Quadro FX 5600/PCI/SSE2
                                          WGL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point wglBindVideoDeviceNV
                                          WGL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point wglEnumerateVideoDevicesNV
                                          WGL_NV_present_video was not found, but has the entry point wglQueryCurrentContextNV
                                          WGL_NV_vertex_array_range was not found, but has the entry point wglAllocateMemoryNV
                                          WGL_NV_vertex_array_range was not found, but has the entry point wglFreeMemoryNV
                                          WGL_NV_video_output was not found, but has the entry point wglBindVideoImageNV
                                          WGL_NV_video_output was not found, but has the entry point wglGetVideoDeviceNV
                                          WGL_NV_video_output was not found, but has the entry point wglGetVideoInfoNV
                                          WGL_NV_video_output was not found, but has the entry point wglReleaseVideoDeviceNV
                                          WGL_NV_video_output was not found, but has the entry point wglReleaseVideoImageNV
                                          WGL_NV_video_output was not found, but has the entry point wglSendPbufferToVideoNV
                                          GL_OES_conditional_query was not found, but is available in driver version 6.14.10.9778

Thank you,

Chris Noll

• 18. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                            Anti-M Community Member

Latest Update from Nvidia:

Question Reference #090407-000060
                                            Product Level 1: Graphics cards
                                            Category Level 1: Troubleshooting
                                            Date Created: 04/07/2009 10:55 AM
                                            Last Updated: 04/15/2009 09:04 AM
                                            Choose OS: Microsoft XP 64bit
                                            Product Name: Quadro FX5600
                                            Driver Version: 175.16

With further research, this is an After Effects CS3/CS4 bug and not an NVIDIA driver bug.

To prove this, I removed the NVIDIA card and driver and installed an ATI FireGL V5600 and ATI driver. Following your steps, I got exactly the same problem.

So please contact Adobe and reference this case if helpful so they can fix this problem

• 19. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Anti-M:

Please be sure that OpenGL/display card compatibility is something that is getting a lot of attention, from QE to technical support and so on.

We want people to have the smoothest, most rewarding experience. But I am afraid is not always as simple as saying it's an AE bug, or an Nvidia bug, etc. Things have to work together, and there's a myriad of aspects to that. Many times I can't follow up with you guys with details or future plans, for many reasons. But the last thing I would like you to think is that it's not useful to get this information from you. On the contrary, it's extremely useful.

• 21. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                Anti-M Community Member

generated a log file for AE...

My Steps:

Open AE CS3

Once porgram is loaded (no file loaded) I hit ctrl-alt-del and lock workstation

I then hit ctrl-alt-del and type in my password

I recieve the "Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop" error

I Quit After Effects

So I loaded and quit once without the lock and generated a log file, then I generated another log file after loading and locking  to get the error. Here is the difference in the file (I cut out all the stuff that was the same)

Good Start and close

Ticks = 6188      <4824> <LegacyALOG> <5> EGG IEggApp Done.
                                                Ticks = 15703      <4824> <LegacyALOG> <5> EGG Command PrefsGeneral
                                                Ticks = 88094      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:1090.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91078      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:1091.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91141      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:1147.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91188      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:1391.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91250      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:1747.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91313      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2133.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91375      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2425.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91438      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2609.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91516      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2730.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91594      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2731.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91734      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2730.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91859      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2728.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 91938      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2679.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 92016      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2643.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 92563      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:2642.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 106406      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:1318.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 111922      <4824> <ae.blitpipe> <2> rect t:0.000000 l:0.000000 w:1768.000000 h:549.000000
                                                Ticks = 1051016      <4824> <LegacyALOG> <5> EGG Command Quit

Now the lines the error produces that are different:

Ticks = 5953      <3652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread ReportThreadState ThreadId=0 ThreadState=1
                                                Ticks = 5953      <3652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread ReportThreadState ThreadId=0 ThreadState=2
                                                Ticks = 5953      <5652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread ReportThreadState ThreadId=1 ThreadState=1
                                                Ticks = 5953      <5652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread ReportThreadState ThreadId=1 ThreadState=2
                                                Ticks = 5953      <3692> <LegacyALOG> <5> EGG IEggApp Done.
                                                Ticks = 9312      <3652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread ReportThreadState ThreadId=0 ThreadState=3
                                                Ticks = 10094      <3692> <LegacyALOG> <5> EGG Command PrefsDisplay
                                                Ticks = 12312      <5652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread ReportThreadState ThreadId=1 ThreadState=3

Ticks = 32390      <5652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread ReportThreadState ThreadId=1 ThreadState=6
                                                Ticks = 32390      <3652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread ReportThreadState ThreadId=0 ThreadState=6
                                                Ticks = 32390      <3652> <LegacyALOG> <5> RenderCompMP Thread LogMessage RenderCompMP Stop Called

Keep in mind I had no files loaded...does any of this make sense to anyone?

Thanks,

ChrisN

• 22. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

This information is very useful, since it gives more hints to isolate the problem. The fact that this happens in your config when you manually lock the computer really helps to discard other things. Thanks for posting all this.  As I said, I am on a trip so my ability to discuss things is more limited

• 23. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                    Anti-M Community Member

Adolfo,

Any thoughts? Restarting AE (after trashing my preferences) about 6 times a day is really getting aggravating.

• 24. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Anti-M:

I did talk to an engineer about this, and apparently display Hardware Acceleration is turned off because of an Operating System (XP) problem: an OS function to handle UI windows looses its' hardware backing when the computer is locked, so enabling AE's Hardware Acceleration again would give you a very unstable system. The error message is not very clear about this, and it may need to be corrected. I understand all this works better in Windows Vista.

That said, if you're experiencing very slow performance it's probably because of something else. An enormous amount of users out there have this feature turned off, and that doesn't translate into a perception of a slow system. It accelerates a few UI interactions, but it's not the most direct measure of responsiveness. In other words, it can be convenient to have, but it's not critical.

• 25. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                        Anti-M Community Member

So if I understand this correctly...

I bought about the best system money could buy, based on Adobe's recommendations abroved hardware configurations

Dell precision workstation t7400

Best video card as recommended by Adobe nvidia Quadro FX5600

And now while running after effects, I have to turn of multi-processor rendering and hardware acceleration as well as OpenGL?

I could have stuck with my old system which runs AE much better than this, without multi-proccessors and a cheap video card.

Not trying to sound angry, just disappointed..is there anything I can do to get this machine performing well?

Thanks,

Chris

• 26. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Chris:

I think that system should work perfectly well.

Why do you have to turn off multi-processor rendering? That subject didn't come up here, did it? That feature should provide a very significant speed-up in rendering in many cases, while the other features are mostly about interactions, not rendering or previewing speed.

Hardware Acceleration of panels seems to be in trouble because of your company's requirements to lock your computer at time intervals (if I understood correctly). But as you see, it's not incompatible with your computer. It shut downs after those locks/screen savers. It's important to understand that a content creation workstation may need different rules, configuration and mantaining that other computers in a corporate network.

But again, HW acceleration of panels is not a high-profile feature.

As for OpenGL, you'll see that the most usual reply is: if it doesn't work for you, turn it off (or leave it off).  I want to give you better than that, but there's a limit to what I can do from here. I know it's frustrating. The myriad of card/driver combinations on the Windows side of things makes it a hit or miss thing, unfortunately. This assuming you're not still trying to run triple monitors from a dual card set-up, which of course is asking for trouble.

• 27. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                            Anti-M Community Member

Adolfo,

Sorry I believe there is some confusion here.

I have been having many issues with After effects and this machine. originally I had two video cards, but since then we have went down to only one until we can get just the FX5600 to work right.

Multiprocessor rendering grinds my machine to just about a halt, and forces a save before every ram preview...which takes time as well. I do only have 4 gb of ram (we only had XP when we bought the system) so we upgraded it to XP64 and I have more ram on order. MP rendering will work right now, but it takes forever so turning it off is faster.

OpenGl seems to be correct I have run many test on it and they all report it as fine, but turning it on in AE will not work. I get horrible results when I scrub the timeline. AE will resort to adaptive resolution and down sample to 25% everytime I click the timeline. So OpenGl with a certified card is completely unusable.

And ok I could live without the HW acceleration, I just thought that it was a symptom of a much larger issue with my video card/configuration.

Just to clarify:

Dell prescision workstation t7400

Dual Quadcore Intel Xeon x5460 @3.16GHz

4GB of RAM

Windows XP 64 SP2 with all updates

Nvidia Quadro FX5600 with 1.5 GB of Ram

Bios 60.80.13.00.01

Driver 6.14.11.7864

IRQ 48

PCIExpress x16

DirectX9.0c

Running 2 Dell E228WFP Monitors in DualView at 1680x1050 @60hz

2 x 1Tb hard drives in Raid configuration

1 x 160GB Swap Disk (Ae swap configured)

Adobe Production Premium CS3 with all updates

After Effects Preferences Settings:

Previews:

OpenGl Enabled (when possible)

Renderer QuadroFX 5600/PCI/SSE2

Version 2.1.2

Texture Memory 400 MB

everything listed as supported

This is basically the system as it stands. The XP64 was installed after reformating less than two months ago. Seem to me this syetam should scream, instead it only groans, or makes me groan. (hehe)

TIA,

Chris Noll

Bally Technologies

• 28. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                              so we upgraded it to XP64 and I have more ram on order. MP rendering
                                                              will work right now, but it takes forever so turning it off is faster.

Chris: The "takes forever" instance is once per session (ie, every time you launch AE). So, wait for it once, and then building previews and rendering should be much faster in most cases (there's a list of things which disable multiprocessing in AE help, and of course, disk-intensive projects, for example, won't benefit from it). The "takes forever" moment is probably worse if you're re-launching the app  frequently (because the HW acceleration thing). AE needs to turn on the background processes for simultaneous frame rendering when you launch it, and of course you want it to turn them off when you quit.

AE will resort to adaptive resolution and down sample to 25% everytime
                                                              I click the timeline. So OpenGl with a certified card is completely
                                                              unusable.

But it works or not (are the OpenGL options available in the Fast Previews menu)? Because if it works, you can turn off OpenGL adaptive resolution in the Fast Previews dialog.

And ok I could live without the HW acceleration, I just thought that it
                                                              was a symptom of a much larger issue with my video card/configuration

If it works until you lock the system,  make sure you don't lock the system. As I said, hard rules for company networks may not work well for content creation seats.

• 29. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Sorry, Chris.

I just noticed that your system has a quad core processor and 4 GB of RAM. That's not an adequate amount of RAM for using multiprocessing on a quad core system (you need at least 2GB per core). With 4GB, AE will either refuse to launch the background instances, or work very slowly.

AE CS4 has a new preference item to leave CPUs for other applications, that you could use so AE uses 2 cores and leaves the other 2 out. Unfortunately, CS3 doesn't have that preference. With just 4 GB, you're starving the background processes, if they launch at all.

• 30. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                                  Anti-M Community Member

Adolfo,

No the "takes forever" happens everytime I hit ram preview with multiproccessing on (i have it off now, it just got to annoying) One reason is it has to save the project everytime I hit ram preview, then after the save it starts the multi-process and hangs for a while, this happens EVERY time I hit ram preview.

The OpenGL options are availiable, they just don't seem to help at all actually they hurt the performance IMO.

The HW acceleration I have been able to work around...mostly. And to be honest I really don't see any difference with it off. I just thought this was indicitive of a bigger problem.

I understand the cores need ram to work, and as I said I have ram on order. I keep an eye on the task manager, and have yet to see it starve...I make animations for casino games and the the files I am working on are relatively small (nothing bigger than 1360x768, and mostly just small sections of that size), I use a lot of regions of interest, and only layered .PSD's for my content plus AE effects mostly trapcode; shine; starglow; particular.

I really believe that something is wrong with this system and/or set-up.

• 31. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                                      No the "takes forever" happens everytime I hit ram preview with multiproccessing on (i have it off now, it just got to annoying) One reason is it has to save the project everytime I hit ram preview, then after the save it starts the multi-process and hangs for a while, this happens EVERY time I hit ram preview.

Yes, with a quad machine and 4GB of RAM you may want to turn it off for now, then turn it back on when you get the extra RAM.

The OpenGL options are availiable, they just don't seem to help at all actually they hurt the performance IMO.

It depends on the nature of the project. Yes, many built-in effects and certainly most third party plug-ins make OpenGL a moot point.

If you expect more (consider it's not the latest version), please file a feature request. Please bear in mind that OpenGL in AE is designed for an application that runs on both platforms, has to deal with a web of driver combinations and a ton of third party plug-ins. It's always a compromise.

On the other hand, for projects that make heavy use of supported features (especially 3D stuff like 3D lights, shadows, etc) it can provide a smoother experience. In CS4 it can now also preview Depth of Field and nested Comps. And a higher-end card works better with those features.

I understand the cores need ram to work, and as I said I have ram on order. I keep an eye on the task manager, and have yet to see it starve..

These things are not always evident on direct observation

Particularly, the background processes that are spawned for multiprocessing are independent from the main app (they're called AEselfLink).

• 32. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                                      Anti-M Community Member

I still feel I am not making myself clear. We bought a system built from Adobe certifed partners/components. And it still fails to perform. We have plenty of systems around the office that outperform this machine. So I think I have something configured or installed incorrectly. I don't feel these are just AECS3 problems, I even D/Led and installed CS4 trial. Which will not even recognize the 5600 as an openGL capable card? So something MUST be wrong? Right?

• 33. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                                        Anti-M Community Member

Ok just to update...this is what I have done;

I turned off Multi-processor, and made my preferences file read only. So far AE works, but not very fast. When the screen saver kicks in it still gives me the error. But now I only need to stop AE and re launch it. I do not get the benefit of my history list so I have to manually find the last file I was working on. Open-GL not enable in the preview window because it simply does not work..so adaptive resolution that pixelates every time I scrub....This is certainly not the best set-up, and I tried CS4(trial), and it fails to even recognize the Open-GL card so upgrading at this time seems to not be a solution. I am still hoping to find out what I have done wrong and to get AE performing better. Still looking for suggestions.

TIA,

Chris

Just like to add this:

I am running the Nvidia                                      178.64 Drivers

This is what dell recommends for this system.

I looked on Nvidia's site and they recommend      162.65

I checked Adobe's site and they say                   175.16

Any idea which I should use?

• 34. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop

Anti-M:

Locking the preferences file is a bad, bad idea IMO. I think that kind of thing introduces a factor of inestability that really outweights the apparent benefits. AE needs to edit that file for normal operation.

Is this still about the HW accelerated panels pref turning off?

I'd like to state once again the this feature is not the performance/interactions booster you think it is. If it's a source of problems, turn it off for good. Much better than locking the preferences file. If AE disables HW Accelerated Views, it's because having it enabled causes problems.

Regarding OpenGL, it's really difficult to diagnose things from here. But the technical support document I linked to some time ago has a bunch of tips that have helped a ton of people. For example, when running dual monitors, the Nvidia cards have a "compatible" setting for multiple displays that doesn't interfere with OpenGL in AE. Advanced functions and 16-bit/anti-aliasing can also cause problems. Just to show a couple of the recommendations in that document.

Also, just to make this point clear: When you are using OpenGL previews, any effect that it's not OpenGL-compatible (and there will always be effects that are CPU intensive) will become the weakest link and turn OpenGL a moot point. There are a million other things that can impact on performance, depending on the nature of the project. For example, and just as one example, if your using footage in your Comp, hard drive I/O speed becomes a very important factor.

It's surely clear by now that neither OpenGL nor HW Accelerated Views play any role in rendering or RAM preview speed when using the high-quality, software renderer, right?

• 35. Re: After Effects: Hardware accelerated view have been disabled because they are not compatible with remote desktop
                                                                            steelfox2006

LOL we are on 2011 cs5.5  same problem and cant figure out  ,i make all configs in AF for open gl render and configured nvidia driver.

OBS lastast nvidia driver ,widows 7 64bit  sp1 ,nvidia gts 250.