• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open?

New Here ,
May 25, 2009 May 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received two helpfiles created wth robohelpx5 some years ago.

Since I have updated my word since than from w2003 to w2007 I had to install RoboHelp 8, at first the trial version.

I have to update the two helpfiles since screen have changed and desriptions have to be adapted.

When I try to open the two files I donot succeed (files should be in use.....)???

What is wrong??

Hans Gerlach

When I try to attach those files to this question I receive the message "The content type of this attacmnet is not allowed."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans. Can you tell us which application you are using (e.g. RH HTML or RH for Word). Also can you tell us exactly how you are opening the project.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

I start RH HTML and get the screen to chose between entering a serial no or

I'd like to cintinue to uese this product on a trial base (what I do).

Than I choose Recent Projects Open, choose the map and select one of the two

files.

Than open and get the screen Creating Html Help > next> style options

<embedded style> --> Html Help Options --> complete and get the message

"The specific help file could not be opened. Ensure that this help file is

not running and try again.

I would like to send you one of my files and will try again to attach it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You normally see this where there has been a RH crash and on reopening the project it still thinks it is open. Have you tried rebooting your PC? If that doesn't help, you could try locating the project's .cpd file (projectname.cpd) rename it and then try opening the project.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2009 May 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried your suggestions.

The two projects .cpd files (created by RoboHelp8) I found I have renamed

and the problem stays. Also rebooting gave no solution.

Hnas Gerlach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans.

One thing that is confusing me is that you refer to two project CPD files. Are you saying that you have tried my suggestion on two different projects or are you saying that a project has two CPD files? Some other things I should check are:

- Are the projects on a network drive (bad) or a local drive (good)?

- Are the projects under any form of source control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

I have available two files: MIPSSHELP2.HLP and DLGMGR-3D.HLP.

Standard there are no CPD files, but when I try to open one of the files

with RH8 I presume that a CPD file was created with the same name. I'll try

to send you the files packed together in a PKZIP file.

The files are on a local drive.

The MIPSS file contains explanations about terms and the DLGMGR file

contains explanations about the terms on screens.

The files are used together in the same system.

Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans.

I think I see what is happening now. RoboHelp comes in two flavours. RoboHelp HTML is designed to be used for the generation of HTML based output (e.g. CHM, webhelp). RoboHelp for Word as the name suggests is a word based output and is used to generate WinHelp (.HLP output).

If you want to edit the .HLP files, you must open the RH for Word application. With RH8 there is an option NOT to install this so if you haven't got this, maybe you didn't install it. If so, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall WITH the option.

If however you want to edit the HLP files in RH HTML and generate a CHM or web based output, you will have to convert the HLP file first. This is fairly straight forward. Just create a new project (e.g. with the same name as the HLP file) and use the wizard to import the .HLP file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you can just insert to installation CD and select RH for Word without having to uninstall. Not 100% sure but worth looking.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp