• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create Computer (CBT) and Web Base Training (WBT) using Captivate?

New Here ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create computer base training(CBT) and web base training (WBT) using Captivate 3 or 4?  I know how to record from an application, but how do you put it all together into CBT?  What other tools do I need?

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to understand your question. In CP you can do more than just creating software demonstrations. You can use simulations, add slides, quizzes, branching, audio, video...

If you are talking about putting several CP-files together in one course, you could use Aggregator to have one file for output. CP works normally for WBT together with a LMS.

If you want to integrate several CP-files into a course, where more text is needed several possiblities: integrate them in a shell like Adobe Presenter, Lectora (Trivantis). Even integrating in a pdf-file is possible with Acrobat 9.

To have a more precise answer, please be a little more specific in your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new job where I have to create CBT training and web base training for our client.  We are using Captivate 3.  How do I use this tool to create computer base and web base training?  Do I need to use another program or tool along with Captivate in order to create the training?  Also, I have the iser manual already created.  What we are trying to do is to convert the user manual into computer base training.  Once we convert the training into cbt or wbt, we will distribute CD's to our client so that they can use the CD's and or a website for computer base training.

Instead of me and my training team going to our client to conduct stand up training, we are trying to set up cbt/wbt training so that they can work at their own pace.

Please let me know if you can answer these questions or direct me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not sure you will get any pre-defined recipe for this.

Basically you need to sit down and think about what exactly you hope to accomplish. Use your imagination and consider how you would like for things to work if all you had was the computer to guide you with whatever the stand up training offers.

Would a video of a talking head help?

Are there other materials that are often used? Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, Images or other things?

Once you get this all figured out, you then will decide how to proceed and factor Captivate into that equation.

Hopefully others will offer their own insights too.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a combination of Dreamweaver and Captivate.

Dreamweaver to create the 'shell', captivate to create the interactive content.

Sometimes I incorporate flash animations and videos in my Captivate files as well.

Look at attachment for example of the set up.

Maybe that will help you.

Cheers, Helga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helga

Hi, this is a rather different subject to the thread, but I use captivate and put it into a Dreamweaver shell too, but I have problems with the Dreamweaver Learning Site seeing that I have left the captivate file. I have a comments page at the end of my packages, but the tracking from Dreamweaver only shows users getting as far as the captivate file.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Kris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2009 May 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rick points out, you have to take into account which material, assets you have, what is the goal to achieve etc. There is not a unique way of reaching this goal. Some personal reflections, based on proper experiences with translating classical written material to self-paced web-based trainings:

• To avoid monotony use a mix of all kinds of material: it will be more attractive for learners.
  • If you have to insert a lot of text, if is a long manual you need to have something else than Captivate as a sort of shell. You can use Dreamweaver, the best software around for web applications. In our college however we do not have any Dreamweaver license, so I use Lectora (Trivantis). It is a rather intuitive program and incorporating CP-movies for  more graphical and/or interactive items is no problem. Getting the whole of it on a LMS is working fine. This approach I have used especially for basic manuals such as 'Introduction to digital graphical formats'
  • If you are starting from presentations, use Adobe Presenter (or Articulate Presenter) as a shell, again with inserted CP4-movies. I'm using this p.e. for courses about Project management: the structure is in the presentations, the demonstrations/training simulations (MS Project) are in CP4.
  • Last approach I have been trying: inserting CP-movies in a Acrobat-document (but then you need Acrobat Professional 9). If you are starting from a Word-document, the transformation is rather straightforward and since you are creating a pdf-document, the learners can print pages (if you want to allow it).

It would be great to hear more about this subject from this community...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2009 May 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please explain your problem in detail and we will definately try to help you out.

Regards,

Mukul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new job where I have to create CBT training and web base training for our client.  We are using Captivate 3.  How do I use this tool to create computer base and web base training?  Do I need to use another program or tool along with Captivate in order to create the training?  Also, I have the iser manual already created.  What we are trying to do is to convert the user manual into computer base training.  Once we convert the training into cbt or wbt, we will distribute CD's to our client so that they can use the CD's and or a website for computer base training.

Instead of me and my training team going to our client to conduct stand up training, we are trying to set up cbt/wbt training so that they can work at their own pace.

Please let me know if you can answer these questions or direct me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello DVK, Did you solve your problem cause todays i stuck in same situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Abhishek.Shar29327516iq5a This is a thread from 2009! If you really want to ask a question, please start a new thread and mention which version of Captivate you are using. The full version number is required, and you can find it under Help, About Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources