• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links at the top are duplicated.

New Here ,
May 29, 2009 May 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links at the top of my page are duplicated. What can I do to ensure I only have one row of links. (see attachment)? Top Menu.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What version of RoboHelp please?

I'm guessing it's 7 or 8 as there are breadcrumb trails that are repeated. But in 8 they may be handled differently, which is why I need to know.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using version 7 - thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I just glanced at your profile and note you are the one that was having an issue with the Home page not displaying. In that thread I advised that the problem was likely deeper than you think. There is a question I asked there that I don't believe you ever answered.

The question is: When you are editing your topics, do you notice the RoboHelp HTML editor contains several little red squares sprinkled in at the top and bottom of the topics? (I'll be surprised if the answer to that is no)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did indeed notice the little red squares. So what do I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

ShieldExclaim.pngYou have some homework and lots of cleanup ahead!

First, carefully ensure the shotgun isn't aimed squarely at your foot. (Oh, what do I mean?)

Basically you have ended up with Modified WebHelp output files overwriting your pristine source files. When WebHelp is generated, all manner of different scripts are added to each topic to make WebHelp the magickal product it is. So you are seeing the result of that.

You first need to figure out if what happened was a one off or if it's part of a cycle that will repeat. So you need to examine closely your processes.

Normally the process is:

Edit topics =>> Generate Output =>> Publish Generated Output

Think about it as if you were in a kitchen baking a cake. Your ingredients are mixed up in a bowl (RoboHelp Topics, Images, etc). They are mixed according to a recipe (Your Single Source Layout settings). You end up with batter that needs to be baked to make a cake (Generate WebHelp) and after you bake the cake you place it in the display case (Publishing). If you take the baked cake and shoved it back into the bowl and sent it through the oven again, you wouldn't get the results you want. That's what has happened here.

The Publish area is a likely suspect. If you are publishing to your hard drive, make sure you aren't publishing to the folder where your project lives! If you don't stop that process (if that's what's happening here) you will only undo your work ahead.

Once you are certain that's not happening (or you have broken the cycle) it's time to look at cleanup.

The best scenario is to restore from a backup without the issue. I'm guessing that's not going to be possible. So now you are faced with cleaning the bits of baked cake out of your batter.

If you don't have a decent backup to use, I've got an article at the link below that you can follow to scrub each and every topic.

Click here to read the article

Best of luck to you! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that this topic appears twice in your TOC, and that RH is representing both of those TOC "paths."

This, and the fact that we wanted the breadcrumbs to not appear in certain topics, led us to insert breadcrumb placeholders at the top of each of the appropriate topics (instead of using the global breadcrumbs method as you have).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

For anyone reading this later, Leon's reference to Breadcrumb Placeholders only applies to RoboHelp HTML 8. There are no Breadcrumb Placeholders in RoboHelp HTML 7.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like I can just delete the red squares and that solves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Well, do what you want as it's your project.

However, you shoud be aware that there are also scripts you don't see that could cause you issues too. So don't be too surprised if you start seeing other weirdness with your project. Users may begin reporting vague JavaScript errors and other oddness.

In other words, it's like painting over the rusty spots on a car. You didn't clear the problem. You just kinda covered it over as a temporary measure.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick. I built this by importing the code. So I will follow the steps in your article to clean it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp