• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

root.fpj dropping files & not synching files with RH GUI

Advisor ,
May 29, 2009 May 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Moving this discussion from the RSC forum, since the issue seems no-RSC related.)

Projects are missing topics from one session to another, or from within a current session (single-writer-access or multiple-writer-access).

• Files are being randomly dropped from the root.fpj file between one RH session and the next.
  • Files are not being added to the root.fpj file when re-imported through the GUI (File > Import), and must be manually added with a text editor.

Here's an example of a Robo SourceControl Diff between one project's current root.fpj and its previous version, the strikethrough indicating what was deleted (by RH, on its own). Note how it starts at the comments,/comments line of one topic, and resumes at the comments,/comments line of the final topic. (RoboHelp team, are you listening?)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rhpml majorversion="3" minorversion="0">
<topics>
(dozens of topics untouched)

<topic>
   <name>logging_options_window_redirect.htm</name>
   <comments></comments>
   <frameset>0</frameset>
  </topic>
  <topic>
   <name>sec_class_proc_redirect.htm</name>
   <comments></comments>
   <frameset>0</frameset>
  </topic>
(12 other topics)
  <topic>
   <name>trdbrokertreefrm.htm</name>
   <comments></comments>
   <frameset>0</frameset>
  </topic>
  <topic>
   <name>invclass_setup_considerations.htm</name>
   <comments></comments>
   <frameset>0</frameset>
  </topic>
  <topic>
   <name>commission_defaults_window.htm</name>
   <comments></comments>
   <frameset>0</frameset>
  </topic>
</topics>
<folders>
  <folder>
   <name>!Language!</name>
  </folder>
</folders>
<topics>
  <topic>
   <name>generictemplates.htm</name>
   <comments></comments>
   <frameset>0</frameset>
  </topic>
</topics>
</rhpml>

We've had IT disable the Kaspersky anti-virus product for the RH project folders on our machines, and we'll monitor the situation. Now that we've identified a global problem, we'll all be externally storing a backup "good" copy of the root.fpj file.

Leon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2009 May 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workflow might help to minimise the issue in a source control environment - it's no solution, but a partial work around for us.

When multiple authors access a project in our organisation, it's normally sequentially (that is, not working on the project at the same time).

When an author starts work, they check who last worked on the project. If it wasn't themselves, they delete the cpd file before opening the project. During this process, sometimes we get a message saying some files need to be writable, even though we aren't checking out anything at this stage. Saying No at this point prevents the fpj file being blanked out. (For us, this file isn't the root.fpj, but one in a sub-folder and I haven't been able to work out what causes this folder to misbehave.)

I've always found the cpd causes problems when multiple users are adding or removing files, so we make it a habit to delete the cpd for any project that might have multiple authors.

The blanking of the fpj file only occurs for one project as far as I'm aware.

hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 01, 2009 Jun 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you're saying that writers do the following?

Check prior RSC checkout, and if another writer, do:

1. Delete the .cpd file from their local machine
  2. Open the project and say no to the "Get" request

This actually reinforces our decision (reached after I posted this inquiry) to enable the following option:

Tools > Options > General > Clear project cache(.cpd file) before opening any project

Might help...can't hurt.

Thx,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2009 Jun 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the "Get" bit is okay. (I actually have that option off, myself, but some of my collegues have it on.)

Where we have problems is with a message something like "The file xxx needs to be writable" and we say No to making it writable. This is before we check anything out of source control and the message doesn't occur for all files in the project; typically only a couple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This problem jumped up and bit us on a different project that had not been worked on for several months.

I've submitted another bug report, and I also mentioned this time that comparing different versions of the file is extremely difficult because RH grabs entire chunks of code and places it elsewhere in the topic. The result is that the code shows as deleted in one version, and then shows as deleted in a different location in the other version.

Good luck,

Leon

UPDATE:

=======

Not only does RH8 move blocks of text, but sometimes turns it ALL CAPS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp