Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Greets!

I have a query on RoboHelp. I have a master chm, which is linked to
couple of individual CHMs. I have a requirement to now place all the
individuals chms in a sub-folder,keep the master chm outside the sub-
folder and deliver it to the distribution team. Needless to say, on
performing the action, the links in master chm stops functioning.

Please can you throw some pointers as how do you specify the path for
the sub-folder, so that when the 'help' is called, the master CHM
opens up the individual chms. Where do I specify the path in RoboHelp
project? Or, am I missing something here?

Thanks
Rajdeep

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that there is no option but to have all the CHMs in the merge in one folder.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rajdeep,

I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure it's possible, but you will have to edit each and every link by hand and the ToC, and the merged files entry in the HHP, and maybe some more. Maintenance will also be a pain because you'll have to recompile to test things.

If it were me. I'd throw it back to the team and say "I can do it, but it's a lot of work. You're paying the bill, how important is it?"

Note that if you simply do not deliver (some of) the sub-CHMs this will not break the parts which are delivered. Maybe that will satisfy them.

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rajdeep,

If you register the location of your Help files as part of the software installation process, you can store them in different folders and they'll still be able to find each other.

The normal place to register Help files is under the following key in the Windows registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Appending onto what Pete kindly offered up, RoboHelp HTML includes a nice tool that will facilitate this for you. The tool is called HTML Help Registration and is found in the Toolbox tab (RoboHelp 6 or earlier) or the Toolbox Pod (RoboHelp 7 or later).

Click View > Pods > Toolbox to open the Toolbox pod.

tmp1.png

The Image above is scaled by the forums and looks bad. Click to see it at full size...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All

Many thanks for your valuable time and suggestions. It worked.

OUTCOME:

I registered 30 chm files, and the master CHM with all the links worked out fine even if I had placed the CHMs

in Mars.

RoboHelp HTML includes a nice tool that will facilitate this for you. The tool is called HTML Help 
Registration and is found in the Toolbox tab (RoboHelp 6 or earlier) or the Toolbox Pod (RoboHelp 7 or later).

Big Question:

But, wait now the big query is how will it work in the release folder and customer machines. 
These files are to be registered in the customer machine too.

So, my question is do you use any package tool to deliver the files to the client? 

If we can write a patch file for the help files, then the customers will not have any 
hassles of registration. They will need to just double-click on the exe file and it should work.

This is the only solution to this problem as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Rajdeep,

Are your Help files installed on your end-users' computers as part of a software installation process? If so, the developers with whom you're working should be able to register the location of the files as part of that process. If not, one solution may be to create a registration entries (.reg) file that contains the required entries and instruct the end-users to run this. See this Microsoft article for details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

This is problematic, however, because you can't be sure that the computer on which you've created the .reg file matches your users' computers. For example, a .reg file that registers the Help files under a location on the C: drive won't work on computers where the files are stored on the D: drive.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp