• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to open illustrator file (.ai) using Indesign and save it as XML

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to open a Illustrator file (.ai) in Indesign.

It would be like :

1 ) Save your Illustrator file as AI. This Native format is most compatible with InDesign.

2 )  Go to -> InDesign, click on your document using your  Frame Rectangle tool (the one with the X through it).

3 )  Fill in the desired size (can be adjusted later).

5 ) Go to File menu > Place.

6 )  Find and select the Illustrator file in the window that opens.

7 ) Click the Open button.

Adjust size, & position of your image using the Direct Selection tool (white arrow), and the cropping with the Seclection tool (black arrow.

Now I want to save this file as XML.

After that,  I say

1 )  File -> Export

But this file saves as XML only shows he the root element nothing else.

Every time , this shows like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<Root></Root>

Nothing is there as contents.

Can anyone let me know, is it possible to store .AI file as XML.

My requirement is simple, i want to store the .ai file as XML.

Some how I am using Indesign to do so . Can any body help.

Thanks,

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, Placing an AI file is not opening it. It's Placing it.

Second, Exporting to XML exports the Indesign file (assuming you have structured content). Graphics can't be magically turned into XML.

Why do you think you need Illustrator converted to XML?

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken ,

Actually  I am into R& D department as we are into the identification business, My AI file contains the Template for business card i.e. it has image and text field(static text) over it .

The problem, we are facing is, in exporting AI file.

The requirement is to export the file in the form of XML, the reason specifically to XML is is we are going for other formats like FXG, it  should have text fied attributes like x,y coordinates,font size ,style etc. and Keywords inserted in it.In FXG I am not getting those keywords,some attributes are getting drop.

Is there any way to get the XML in that format(having x,y cordinates,style etc for text field along with keywords) ??

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try copying and pasting from AI to Indesign.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken,

InDesign doesn't "see" unplaced vectors during its XML xexport, and uses the preview image for placed images (which it exports as jpgs or gifs).

If you need XML it looks like it has to be done in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste is again seems same as 'Place the file'  , it wouldn't help again.

Copy( from Illustrator) and paste( it in Indesign) and  later saving\exporting as XML again create the same the XML file with no data . Just a XML structure,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>

<Root />
RRegarding using the FXG and SVG file .. saving these formats to XML does not shows the Co-ordinates in XML formats.
I do I would like to have the coordinates (x,y) so that later on , if required I can change the coordinates and display the Image or Text in the file. As this is a requirement for business card.
A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator doesnot supports to save the file as XML.

We dont having as plugin to save the file as XML in Illustrator.

Even I was going thru the Illustrator SDK. Adobe is not having any API opened which would help me to create my own plugin to save the file (.ai)  as XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the extension of FXG or SVG to XML you can see/alter the code as you would any XML file. And the FXG format has x and y coordinates.

Granted, I don't know what you're doing with the XML (or how complex your file is), but my test files worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt responses...

Can any body let me know any utility\tool, using which I can see the contents of XML.

Following,  like as you suggest just to change the extensions .FXG or SVG to .XML.

Say, i make some changes in the  file (in which extension changed to XML). Say changed X-Y co-ordinates to displace the image or text,) . I want to have some visual verification to changes made in original and converted one. 

My question, Is there is any way or any Tool\Utility where I can see my XML as visual template. before or after making the changes. ( Hope you knw what I mean.)

Thanks in advance,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Smultron http://tuppis.com/smultron/ (which is free) to look at the xml (you don't need to change the extension to xml). Is that what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you have been very helpful.

Smultron is for MAC? isnt it.

I wanted something similar for the windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Microsoft offers this: http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?FamilyID=72d6aa49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en

Oxygen is also pretty popular if you need something a step up. http://www.oxygenxml.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot open an Illustrator file with InDesign. The steps you describe are for Placing the file, which just creates a link to the external AI file. That's why the XML export is also just a link to the same file.

If you want to convert your AI file to an editable InDesign file you can try two methods. One is to just try Copying from Illustrator and Pasting into InDesign. If your artwork is simple and uses no effects or gradient meshes, you might get lucky and have a good conversion. That's probably not what will happen.

The other method, which I've never tried, is to save a PDF then use Recosoft's PDF2ID plug-in. Maybe they have a trial version you can test out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that you mean SVG? http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/

SVG is an XML version of graphics.

In illustrator CS4, use Save As and choose SVG,from there you can simply save as SVG or click on Show SVG code to see/use the XML.

InDesign CS3 had some whisper of support in InDesign, but as far as I can tell it's been dropped (I asked a related question yesterday: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2010911#2010911 ) and InDesign doesn't import SVG files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right Mr. FivePicaPica

We can do it with SVG format , But the again one more problem with SVG file is the parsing would be takes much more time.

Actaully my AI file contains the Template for business card i.e. it has image and text field(static text) over it .

The requirement is, the exported xml (like FXG) should have text field attributes like x,y coordinates,font size ,style etc. and Keywords inserted in it.

I want in the XML form as to get the XML in the format(having x,y cordinates,style etc for text field along with keywords) ??

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do the same thing with saving as FXG (and grabbing the code, which seems to have the XML format the way you want)

Still no indesign support though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines