• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can HTML Help render a flash file with all bells and whistles?

Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Captivate to generate a .swf file, and inserted that .swf  into my RH8 project and generated HTML Help.

When I look at the .CHM file, the flash plays, but not ideally.

a) It plays immediately when the topic is opened, and there's no way to re-start it except to close and re-open the topic.

b) There are no stop/start/pause buttons on the flash video. Could I have added those in Captivate?

Is the .CHM-player capable of flash videos with controls?

What did I miss?

Thx.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This should be possible. You may accomplish it using different ways. It all depends on how you want to view the Captivate content.

If you want to simply display the Captivate page as a topic in and of itself, you import the HTML page Captivate should have created. The assets should come along for the ride. But it's possible that whatever version your RoboHelp is, that won't happen and you will need to tweak things.

I'd start by Importing the page and seeing what happens.

If your goal is to display the Captivate content within an existing Topic, you will need to add the Captivate SWF file(s). You may need to add a file or two to baggage. Before I go there, I'd like to see what your preferred approach is.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(No thanks to the RH8 Help system) I have successfully triggered Captivate from the RH8 interface, created a demo, closed Captivate, and seen the results back in the RH Project Manager. Specifically, I see a new MyLittleDemo.htm file and a MyLittleDemo_skin.swf file, both under the Project Files folder inside the Project Manager. If I want my demo to play on a separate page from the topic that calls it, I can simply create a link to the MyLittleDemo.htm page. If I want the demo to play on the same page as the calling topic, I can drag MyLittleDemo_skin.swf to any location on any page.

So far, so good.

The issue at this point is that I don't know how the playback controls got onto the the demo file, and/or I want to change their behavior. I am getting an Audio and a Closed Captioning button in my set of controls, and I'd like to drop those. And I'd like to have a Start button that the user can press on demand, rather than having the demo play immediately upon opening the topic.

Also, the Exit control behaves strangely -- it causes the HTML Help Viewer to misbehave.

Any knowledge about this stuff? Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce

Ugh, from what you are describing, you are going at things all perfectly from the "Adobe approved and recommended" way of operating, but it's a method I don't personally use or recommend. Please tell me if I'm right with my assumption here.

I'm assuming (based on what you have stated) that you didn't launch Captivate separately, create the demo and publish it, then close Captivate and open RoboHelp HTML and insert what Captivate created. I'm guessing you used the wonderful (cough) integration that exists where you are in the middle of a topic and BAM! It suddenly hits you that a Captivate demo would be PERFECT here. So you cease your chain of thought while editing the topic and from inside RoboHelp you click File > New > Captivate demo and RoboHelp magickally opens Captivate to record the demo. You finish and close and the demo magickally appears inside RoboHelp.

Did I guess right?

Assuming I did, your case is precisely why I avoid working that way and why I don't recommend it. When you work this way you give up control of many Captivate capabilities and you enter into a realm of frustration.

I recommend using Captivate as the separate application it is. Open it separately. Record and create the Captivate parts separately. Then bring it into RoboHelp once it's reached prime time.

Please advise and we will proceed accordingly with getting you squared.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guessed correctly that I'm trying to do the Adobe-suggested process, but that's only because the process of operating Captivate separately has not worked for me AT ALL, and I'm trying to get some useful results. You can recommend any process that works. My goal is to have playback controls (preferably the playback controls of my choice and not Captivate's choice), on the video that appears in my compiled HTML project (my .chm file).

The thing I'm puzzled about is the difference between files named XYZ.swf, XYZ_skin.swf, and XYZ_demo.swf. I don't know how they get those endings. When I activate Captivate3 from RH8 (the dorky way, according to you), I get XYZ_skin.swf, and I end up with playback controls (but extra ones I don't want, and other problems) on the video in my .chm file. If I activate Captivate separately, I get XYZ_demo.swf, and I get no playback controls at all in my .chm file.

So if you can recommend a process of starting Captivate separately, creating XYZ_skin.swf (if that's what I really need), and getting that thing into RH8 and eventually into my .chm file, I will be most appreciative. Then tell me how to get the "Closed Captioning" and/or the "Audio" button out of my set of playback controls, and I'll be even more happy. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there

Okay, this is getting a bit on the gnarly side for continuing via back and forth with forum posts. Are you by chance open to a personal contact? If so, I'll be happy to send you a link that will allow us to connect. Then I can see your screen and guide you along.

If that sounds remotely interesting, shoot me a private message to rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com and include your phone number. I'll then send you back an E-mail message with a link allowing us to connect. Once connected, I'll call where we may speak verbally.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's how to use Captivate 4 and Robohelp 8 to insert video into HTML Help (.chm) file. See attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp