Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ignore tooltips in software demo recording

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am recording a software demonstration. Before I click a button, a tooltip apprears. I do not want this tooltip to be recorded. Is there anyway that Captivate ignores tooltips? I know that you can convert tooltips to rollover captions, but the tooltips are still visible.

Any ideas how I can get rid of the tooltips?

Many thanks, Caroline

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Hi there

I think the option mentioned by Lilybiri is only available in version 4 and doesn't exist in 3.

I might suggest that instead of attempting to grab the screen before the tooltip has a chance to appear, perhaps you slow the pace. Allow the tooltip to appear, but wait until it disappears. Then grab via the print screen. Most tooltips will disappear if you simply wait.

You may also check whatever the application is that is presenting the tooltips. Some applications allow you to turn the toolti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you deactivate 'Capture Interim Screenshot' in the Settings and try again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

thanks for your quick answer. I am using Captivate 3 and I can't find this option in the recording settings. Or do I have to search for it anywhere else?

Many thanks, Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have no access to CP3 for the moment. Later on (I'm not at home) I will try to look for it.

You could also force a manual screen capture (PrintScreen, works certainly in CP3) before the tooltip appears and erase the slide with the tooltip.

I just got home and opened CP3. Indeed the option to activate or deactivate Interim Screenshot is not available in this version. I'm afraid you will have to use the workaround with the manual screen capture.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think the option mentioned by Lilybiri is only available in version 4 and doesn't exist in 3.

I might suggest that instead of attempting to grab the screen before the tooltip has a chance to appear, perhaps you slow the pace. Allow the tooltip to appear, but wait until it disappears. Then grab via the print screen. Most tooltips will disappear if you simply wait.

You may also check whatever the application is that is presenting the tooltips. Some applications allow you to turn the tooltips off.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, thanks!

One question: the labels do not "obey" the textAlign="left" I put on the

togglebuttonbar. They are all centered. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You talk about 'labels', do you mean the text in the Captions that are automatically created, such as Success and Failure captions? Which settings did you change to Left align and where: in the properties of the captions? I'm trying to help but there is some confusion about terminology....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

now I am very irritated. I did not post this answer. I answered Rick the following:

Hi Rick,

Many thanks for the tips. Seems to be quite some advanteges in version 4. I solved it now by doing screenshots in between, but sometimes this does not work for some reason. May be I am too fast.

The application is our own software and there is no option to turn of the tool tips (I will have to blame our programers, when I meet them next time for lunch ;))

Many thanks, Caroline

How can it be that a message I never posted is assigned to this thread under my name? Or am I missing something?

I attached a screenshot of a tooltip. Hope this makes things clearer.

It looks like that I have to live with the tooltips and workaround with screenshots.

Many thanks, Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry Caroline, I got this answer even in my mailbox, so...

Captivate 4 has quite a lot of new features, for me it is the most important upgrade ever and I have been a user since CP1. In place editing is one of those new features, and it saves me a lot of time. The option to activate or deactivate the Interim Screenshots is not so well documented but could have been an solution for your tooltip-problem. For the slides where you are expecting those tooltip-problems, your could capture them totally in the manual way, which means each wanted screenshot is taken by PrintScreen (or whatever other shortcut you assign).

Good luck,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot for the answer, II can live with the workaround for the next time. I just started to use Captivate, so I first have to convince my management, that it is useful. May be after some time I can upgrade.

I am Training Manager, developing all the curriculums for the training courses for our customers to learn our software.

@Rick, I love your "ShowMeSolutions" concept. Very cool. I just start to create online Training and virtual classes. So you are my new Idol now! Would be happy I could ask you about your experiances.

Regards and myn thanks for your help!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources