Exit

Context-sensitive help for Visual Basic application

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2009 Mar 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding context-sensitive help

Hello,

I recently upgraded from RoboHelp 4 to 7. I'm working on a project that was originally done in RoboHelp 4. One of my tasks is to add context-sensitive help (I've never done this on any project before). So I've looked through all the help on how to do this and have my part as the author figured out. I have assigned map IDs to a few topics and exported the map files for the software developer. (The primary layout for the RoboHelp project is Microsoft HTML help).

Here is the problem: The software application was developed in Visual Basic. The help file titled "Context-sensitive Help for Visual Basic applications" calls for Robohelp_Csh.Cls. I cannot find this.

The help page titled "Support files" says the file can be found here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\RoboHelp 6.0\CSH API. I have opened the CSH API folder on my computer for RoboHelp 7 and have the following files:

CSH_API.cpp
CSH_API.def
CSH_API.vcproj
frmBrowser.frm
HtmlHelp.h
HtmlHelp.lib
RoboHelp_CSH.cpp
RoboHelp_CSH.frm
RoboHelp_CSH.h
RoboHelp_CSH.java
RoboHelp_CSH.js
StdAfx.cpp
StdAfx.h

I don't have the .cls file. What can I do?

A second question - Does the software developer have to have RoboHelp installed to do his part?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Second question first because it is easiest - No, the developer does not need RoboHelp.

Context Sensitive Help is confusing but only because there are so many different ways to implement it. If your developer has connected the context help, you can test their calls using RoboHelp's BugHunter. That is probably a good start.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

The developer hasn't done anything yet. I've given him the map files and the compiled help, but the RoboHelp help file says that the developer needs to add the Robohelp_Csh.Cls module. He didn't know what that was. So I looked at the RH help further and found that I should be able to access it in the CSH API folder.

The problem is I don't have that .cls, just all those files I listed earlier. Without this file, what does the developer need to do to connect the context-sensitive help to the VB application?

Many thanks for your help.

Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann.

Check out this link for an explanation of the map and alias files that are used as part of the CSH call. Also down the bottom of the page is a Reference section which has a link to the API suntax used inside your VB application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

Colum and I both like to manually edit the CSH files. His link gives you the structure of the CSH from the help file side. Your developer should be able to easily add CSH calls without the file you mention. Frankly, I don't know what it does because I use an old version of RoboHelp. The developer should be aware of the HTMLHelp API and be able to add calls without using any additional files. Here is a link to Don Lammers' article on connecting Visual Basic.

Hope this helps,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the heck -- we want the file that RoboHelp Help says to use, namely Robohelp_Csh.Cls. Where can we find this file?

Here's the help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/RHTML/7.0/Context-sensitive/API/Languages/Context-sensitive_Hel...

We have RH7. But that file's not included in RH7.

Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found it here: http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/RoboHelp_Csh.zip

It was also suggested on Peter's site that RoboHelp_CSH.cls was replaced by RoboHelp_CSH.frm (used in VB projects) in X5. And that frm file is included in the installation.

Too bad RoboHelp 7 Help still isn't updated! Grrr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eileen,

I would highly doubt Adobe would be putting much effort into adding/correcting the RH7 version help anymore since RH8 is their current version...

Jeff ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I agree with you, Jeff. Too bad it took them several versions to get it right (if it's even fixed in RH8 - I don't know whether it is).

But now hopefully RH7 users who search this forum for that info will be able to find it.

/Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John and Colum,

I will pass this information on to our developer and see where we can go from there. Many thanks.

Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp