• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is updating from Robohelp X5.0.2 to latest version a difficult task?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is a pretty subjective question, but for someone who is fairly comfortable using version X5.0.2, would it take a day, or a week, or possible a couple months to update a project that contains three chm files, with hundreds of htm files?  Do you have any good resources to recommend for updating from X5.0.2 to the latest?

Thanks,

Spencer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you talking about upgrading the project to version 8?

If so, it should take less than an hour. Basically you make a backup copy of each project. Then you open it using version 8. As it opens, version 8 will upgrade the project.

After that has happened the only thing you may have to do is to click Tools > Update DHTML effects in topics.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be 100% certain, I am trying to update RoboHelp HTML X5.0.2 to the latest version.  This would be version 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, if you are still out there... another question.  I am considering updating because I am trying to fix an issue with the search tool no longer considering all three chm files included in our merged project.  Is this something you have heard of or dealt with before?  Do you think upgrading will resolve this issue?  Or is the problem unrelated?

Also, we are hoping it is possible to edit the chm files using Microsoft Word, and then simply adding them back to the chm file.  Is this a simple process?  Or will we face formatting issues?  Or other issues?

Thanks,

Spencer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If the merged CHM is failing the search I'd be hesitant to say that upgrading will fix that. Hmmm, actually it may fix it as it will likely re-register all the components. Probably one of the DLLs associated with the CHM viewer has become unregistered or corrupt or whatnot. You may wish to download a free diagnostics tool to investigate that.

Click here to visit fellow Microsoft Help MVP Rob Chandler's download page

As for editing a CHM using Word? Unless you created the CHM file using Word and you have the Word source file handy, it's not going to happen easily.

A CHM file is composed of several other files. Lots of individual HTM files and other files. You are able to decompile a CHM, edit the HTM files and re-compile it (after you re-create the HHP) but you are better off using a Help authoring tool such as RoboHelp for that. I'd avoid mixing Word and HTML output unless you are just so addicted to Word that it's like crack to you.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is something strange.  There are three chm files in our merged project.  When we open the master chm file and search it doesn't consider the other two chm files.  But when we open either of the other two chm files it does search all three chm files.  Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spencer,

This is a known problem, and is not solved in RH8. See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/442372 for more info. Basically you need to edit the HHP and/or the XPJ file (I think the XPJ had a different name in older versions of Robohelp -- it's the file you double-click to open the project).

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I fixed the problem by deleting the links to all merged CHM files from the master project's TOC.  Then deleting the CHM file for each of those merged projects from the master project's folder.  Finally, I merged the projects back into the master project from the TOC of the master project (which is the typical procedure for X5.0.2; I'm not sure if this is the same for other versions), which copies the CHM files back into the master project's folder.  Now global searching works again.  I just wanted to share that with everyone, and I hope it works for others.

Spencer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp