• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.HPJ to .CHM but keep .RTF?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of .hpj projects that I want to import into RoboHelp where I'll publish to .CHM files.

If I try the import in RoboHelp for HTML, all of my topics get created as .htm files and my .doc/.rtf are nowhere to be seen.

I then tried RoboHelp for Word.  I can import an .hpj and publish to HTML Help successfully - I get my .CHM - but what I see in my RoboHelp project is a .DOC - I don't want the .DOC, I want the .RTF.  I've noticed that if I edit a listed topic, it will launch Word, I make and save my change and both my .DOC and .RTF will show as updated in Windows Explorer.

I also tried importing the .RTF directly into a new project but it still showed up as a .DOC in the project.

I want RoboHelp to keep the RTF file as the source files (which I will keep in source control) to which edits will be made - I don't want to see the .DOC files anywhere.  Is this possible?  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, that I missed a step or a setting.  What I'm trying to do doesn't sound really complicated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Hi there

Drawing from distant memory here. I believe RoboHelp expects Word DOC files. It saves as .RTF if you create WinHelp files, but I believe the main file type is .DOC. I'm unaware of any way to force it to only work with RTF.

Then again, I never ever claim to know it all about any given subject. So perhaps someone has a clue on how it might be accomplished.

Out of curiosity, if you want CHM files and CHM files are HTML based, why the insistence on RTF as your source? Why not convert to RoboHe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Drawing from distant memory here. I believe RoboHelp expects Word DOC files. It saves as .RTF if you create WinHelp files, but I believe the main file type is .DOC. I'm unaware of any way to force it to only work with RTF.

Then again, I never ever claim to know it all about any given subject. So perhaps someone has a clue on how it might be accomplished.

Out of curiosity, if you want CHM files and CHM files are HTML based, why the insistence on RTF as your source? Why not convert to RoboHelp HTML and work with HTML content?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent question.  My reason is that we were told to do so.  Personally, I'd be fine with the .DOC and .RTF happily coexisting inside of RoboHelp since I can tell by timestamps they are in sync when I make a change - both could be put into source control.

I was told we should be able to ditch the .DOC files that were edited for WinHelp (which in turn edited the .RTF files) and continue with only the .RTF files.

The person who maintains the help content has been using Word for years and we've been told that the RTF files should be what will be edited and checked in to source control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp