• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make TOC books expand automatically?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2009 Feb 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've generated a webhelp file in Robohelp 7. When I click a hyperlink to jump to another topic I want the Table of Contents to expand to show me the new page, and the address bar to update to refer to the page I am viewing. Is this possible? How would I do this?

Thanks
Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 08, 2009 Feb 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary

Normally that option is configured by default and you have to specifically turn it off. But it never hurts to double-check.

Double-click the WebHelp layout and you should see the first screen of the wizard. Nothing much to double-check on this screen, so click Next >. Ensure there is a check mark in the field labeled "Synchronize Table of Contents" and that the drop-down reflects "Automatically". Then click Next >. Ensure the option "Local PC or Intranet (Internal Network) is selected. (Usually the other setting of Web Site (Internet) is selected).

Now generate the WebHelp and see if you like the result better.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that didn't work.

What are the requirements around Flash Player and Internet Explorer versions for RoboHelp 7? I know I had problems with Captivate because we're on Flash Player 6, so maybe it's a similar problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary

Your thought might have some merit if you had advised you were creating FlashHelp output. But WebHelp has no Flash components, so I'm certain that's not the issue here.

It would be helpful if you could advise which item didn't work. You asked about two things.

* Synchronizing the TOC to the displayed topic
* Updating the Address bar to show the path

Does one thing work and the other not? What exactly isn't happening for you?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither thing is working. I click a hyperlink, the main page area on the right updates, but the Table of Contents and address bar do not.

I created the hyperlinks by highlighting the text, then dragging the page from the left over to the highlighted text. I couldn't create hyperlinks to other pages using the Insert > Hyperlink option - they never worked when someone clicked on them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Where are you located? Would you consider connecting with me on a virtual session so I might see first hand what your project looks like in development mode as well as when you see the issue.

If that sounds feasible, shoot me a private message to rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com and I'll reply back with a link to connect. If you have and use Skype, that would be great as we could connect that way for audio. If not, I could call a normal telephone number from Skype.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

For anyone watching this thread, here is what I replied to Mary with in an offline message:

Mary sent me a message which said:

I can't connect in a virtual session because of the security restrictions around this system. I don't even have internet access on the same PC as my RoboHelp license.

And I replied back with:

If the PC is locked down that tight, I'm wondering if this may partially or totally explain why the synchronization isn't working. JavaScript is used to cause it all to work. So perhaps JavaScripting has been disabled.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

I just sent you an email - but I can't do anything that wizzy because of the security restrictions here.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd be keen to try them.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing the same problem myself but have solved it.

Here's how (note that I'm compiling a Microsoft HTML Help layout and using RoboHelp 8):

1) Double click Microsoft HTML Help to start the process

2) In the window that appears, click the Edit button next to "Advanced Settings," near the bottom right

3) Click the TOC Styles tab

4) Click the checkbox next to "Single Click to Open Books"

5) Click OK

6) Click Finish to compile

Your change to the setting will be saved for all future compilations.

Hope that helps,

Billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Billy

What you posted would appy to the world of CHM files but not WebHelp. (The thread was dealing with WebHelp)

Note that the Single Click to Open Books option has a potentially undesired side effect. That is, when a new book opens, the formerly open book closes. In the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop (HHW) this option is titled differently than it is in RoboHelp. In HHW, it's titled Only Expand a Single Heading.

If you enable the Single Click option, it's also a good idea to also enable the Plus Minus Squares option. But what you will find is that the option is disabled in RoboHelp. That is, until you also enable the "Lines from Root" option.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp