• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 Create a Custom Window

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2009 Jun 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I've never created the first Help utility yet, I have been successful going through a training guide that has been most helpful until now.  When I have begun the very last lesson in the training I get to this Custom Window using Microsoft HTML Help as the primary layout and have discovered that I can not generate the help.  It appears to be generating and there is a results tab on the lower pod but not the actual window does not appear and I receive an error message "Cannot create compiled file.  It may be open in another window.  Please close all HTML Help windows and try again."  The only other thing open on my pc besides RoboHelp is Outlook.  I'm at a total loss and have need to finish this within the next week - this error is really putting me behind.  Can anyone help???

Anne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sounds like you are using Kevin Siegel's Iconlogic book.

When you press Alt+Tab do you see a blue up arrow as shown below?

tmp1.png

If so, that's your running project. Just stop there and close the CHM file. If that doesn't do it, you may need to press Ctrl+Alt+Del and examine the task list and kill off the HHlauncher.

tmp2.png

Please give those a try and keep us posted on the outcome!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick -

Thank you so much for the quick response - I didn't expect such. You are absolutely right - it IS Kevin Siegel's Iconlogic Book - what a find this has been.

O.K., so I've followed your guidance below - there is no blue arrow with Alt+Tab. And, from the task list there is no HHlauncher listed.

I'm so close and yet right now I feel at such a loss. Please advise.

r/Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

At this point about all I'm able to suggest is that you restart RoboHelp. If that doesn't help, you may need to restart the system. It sounds as though something is hung up in a state of limbo and not allowing the process to complete.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick -

O.k., I've tried all that you've suggested down to even restarting the system which did allow me to generate the help however, again nothing is visible. I do note in the Topic node, on the Output view tab, I see this;

Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler.

Finished compiling HTMLHELP in 6 sec(s)

Compilation complete.

Can you decipher this for me?

r/Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't you just love error messages like that? They are SO informative. This sort of message is normally displayed when there is something in the RH project that is causing the compiler (that produces the CHM) to choke. The problem is what. If the problem is limited to one project (try compiling one of the supplied example projects) finding out requires a little detective work. As it sounds like you are testing RH the chances are your project's aren't that big. Start by making a copy of the project. Then delete half the topics and see if you can compile. If you can, Add half of the deleted ones from the backup. Repeat the process until you hit the compile error.

Let us know what you find out.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp