• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All ebooks in Adobe Digital Editions Disappeared

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2009 Jun 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I had lost all my ebooks when I opened Adobe Digital Editions to find a blank library.  For future reference for anyone else who experiences the same, follow this advice:

Next to 'Library' click on the downwards pointing arrow.

In the drop down menu click on 'Add item to library' which will open up your 'Documents' folder.

Open the folder called 'My Digital Editions'

Select the ebooks you want to restore to your Digital Editions library and click 'open' which will put the ebook(s) back into your library.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had known this before I deleted and redownloaded the program. Ever since I redownloaded the program, I get a black screen. I have tried for 2 months to get help through the online support, but have not received help back after the first couple of days!!! I don't know if they don't know how to respond or if they don't care about the users of their programs. I didn't puchase Digital Editions as it is a free download, but I have purchased other adobe software. At this point, I may not do so ever again. I have purchased severl books that I cannot access on this computer (but I can at work which I don't want to do at work). Can anyone help to get beyond the black screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps my instructions weren't very clear.  If you click on 'Library' in Adobe Digital Editions, which has a little arrow next to it, you will see a drop down menu.  In the drop down menu, click on 'Add item to library Ctrl + O' and the My Digital Editions folder will open.  In this box, select the ebooks you want to restore to your Adobe Digital Editions Library and then click 'open'.  This will restore your ebooks and you will no longer see a black / blank library.

I re-loaded Digital Editions as well, before I located my ebook files in the 'Documents' folder.  So re-installing the program shouldn't delete your ebooks, they should stay on your computer in your documents folder!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

restored.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2009 Jun 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had done this on a different computer and it worked fine. However, after reloading the program on my laptop, I get a completely black screen with the book symbol and the words Adobe Digital Editions. In the screen where the library is supposed to be it is completely black. The library is still in my documents folder, but I can't select anything in the ADE program at all.

ADE Blank Screen Pic.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a suggestion, but I think it is very likely that you can open a book by "drag and drop."  Open your documents/My Digital Editions folder, click and hold the book you want to read, and drop it on the Adobe Digital Editions icon.  If you don't have one (ADE icon) on your desktop, right-click-drag it out there from wherever it is in your start menu or program files folder to create  a desktop shortcut.  The book should open. I have not personally added any books to My Digital Editions, but this worked with a random .pdf document I had (manual to my GPS).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for these tips - I did find my downloaded bought and library books, but not in

My Digital Editions" - which on my computer was empty.  They were in "My Books".

Kristina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed the instructions, but when I go into My Documents and My Digital Editions folder, the folder is empty and I do not have a My Books folder. Do you have any idea why this happened or how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my hardrive crashed, erasing everything in my computer. installed ADE again, but all the books are gone.. i assumed that once the books are downloaded, it would always stay in the library.... .is there any way i can recover all the lost purchased books? i installed the kindle again on my laptop, and All my ebooks are still there. it's under the amazon data.... doesn't ADE provide such a service? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened ADE today & there is nothing in my library. I attempted to recover the books via the method described above but there are also no books in the ADE My Digital Editions folder. They were all there yesterday. I looked in the recycle bin & they are not there. All files are gone, both library books & purchased books. I was able to download my library books again but see no way to recover anything else. What could have caused this & is there any way to get my books back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've manaeged to "ad the item to the library again" but only as logn as my e-bookreader in inserted in my laptop. Weird. As soon as I pull out the lead, it says "missing" on every item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I uninstalled Adobe Digital Editions. 2 I went to documents my adobe editions and renamed the file, like (old).  3 reinstalled ADE.

4 ADE is now working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two days ago, all of the books in my library disappeared except for the 5 that  I had just downloaded.  Yesterday, I went through the arduous task of relocating every book I could find and moving them to the library,  though now they all showed that day's date.  Today, I went to dowload new books and all the books I loaded yesterday were now gone - again.  It's as if I never had any books but those 5 today.  I followed your solution and when I opened My Digital Editions, I again only found today's downloads, every thing else is gone.  I have a  back up file and could do the same thing all over but I am talking about an excess of 1000 books,  Also, the attempt I made to bookshelf ones I knew I had read - well, the bookshelves are empty now too.  If you can help, I will be eternally grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my case, my MacbookPro updated to Catalina 10.15.1.  Lost all books in my Library and also lost the capability to download from the library.  Not impressed by the fact we are forced to use Adobe Digital Editions but Adobe has provided zero support to make sure it functions.  Even before, I had to use an earlier version of Adobe DE 3.0 (32 bit version) but with the Catalina update, 32 bit programs no longer function and forced into the ADE 4.5.10 that does not work.  Except when totally unavoidable, I will not use any ADOBE product again, not a trustworthy company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines