20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2009 3:34 AM by PaulHinrich RSS

Unable to connect to Online Device Library

RobSTL Community Member
      Just installed Tech. Comms. Suite 2 and tried to use the Adobe Device Central CS4 application. Unfortunately, I keep getting the message "Device Central could not connect to the Online Device Library. The action could not be completed. Make sure your computer has Internet access and try again."

My computer definitely has access to the internet (as demonstrated by me posting this cry for help!). I have checked our firewall and it does not block access to port 80 and it does not restrict *.dat files, as a previous post suggested, so I am at a loss. No other application has trouble connecting and I can't see any options within Device Central to change it's routing to the outside world.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rob.
        • 1. Unable to connect to Online Device Library
          jsnandi Community Member
          Hi Rob,

What machine are you using? What type of internet environment are you in? If it is a laptop you could try from elsewhere.

Can you also check and see whether you have version 2.0 or 2.1 of the application? 2.1 is the latest version to which you should be able to update.

Thanks,
          Nandi

• 2. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
            RobSTL Community Member
            Running the app on a Dell LatitudeD630 2GHz Core2 Duo T7250 Centrino based system, 2GB RAM, running XP Pro on a company LAN via a proxy server. I have checked ports and that isn't the issue, nor is blocked file types. My colleague, also running TCS 2.0 on an identical machine, has the same issue. However, if you select "Update" from the help menu, the application can access the outside world, as can every other application on our machines. Just not Device Central.

We have both updated to 2.1 too.
            • 3. Unable to connect to Online Device Library
              jsnandi Community Member
              Hi Rob,

Give this a go:

- Exit Device Central
              - Delete (or rename or place elsewhere in case you have some self created XMLs in the folder) the "Adobe Device Central CS4" folder from C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\ApplicationData\Adobe
              - Start application

Sometimes data in the "Adobe Device Central CS4" user folder could get corrupted due to connection issues

and see if it helps
              • 4. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                RobSTL Community Member
                Hi Nandi,

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly, that didn't work. I deleted the folder and restarted the app but it still refuses to connect.

Rob.
                • 5. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                  jsnandi Community Member
                  I'll keep an eye on this forum and let you know if any other ideas come to mind. Looks like your network somehow doesn't like the online device library. Would be interesting to find out
                  • 6. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                    kat_zh
                    Hi,
                    I am having the same issue with CS4. Does this has anything to do with how the CS4 is installed or setup?

Any settings in the CS4 is required for connect to the "Online Device Library"?

Thanks
                    Ka.
                    • 7. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                      jsnandi Community Member
                      kat_zh,

Actually there are no extra settings for the "Online Device Library".
                      Are you also using the "Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2" as Rob is?
                      Are you in a company network with certain resrictions?
                      • 8. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                        LD_Sean
                        I am having the same issue, most likely because of our corporate proxy server. Surely adobe software must have options for connecting through a proxy server?
                        • 9. Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                          RobSTL Community Member
                          You'd think, huh!

Adobe Support have told me that the application should use the computers Windows internet settings (which one would assume includes proxy servers, but CLEARLY doesn't). I have checked here and it is NOT the firewall blocking the app, so proxy server settings are most likely the cause. Seeing as the app doesn't allow you to define your proxy access settings, we're stuffed.

However, I can get round this by simply connecting my laptop to my home network or by using my USB Broadband dongle to update the library.

Hardly dynamic (or convenient), as billed by Adobe
                          • 10. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                            rbarrett_2
                            I am also on a corporate network behind a proxy server.

Aside from being unable to connect to the online device library, I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing fatal crashes at this point? For me, I'd say it happens 4/5 times I start Device Central. Blue screen of death type crashes... complete hardware lockup
                            • 11. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                              maaarcooose

I'm having the same problem here.

I cannot connect to the online device library.

I am behind an authenicating proxy, but I don't think this is the problem as the connection to the library does not even get flagged by my proxy server at all so is it even going through the standard proxy port???? I don't think so as I get nothing logged on the proxy.

This must be a bug with Adobe products that it doesn't properly read the settings from your browser.

!m!

• 12. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                                mucatron Community Member

Hi,

The solution to this problem is stored in this tech note, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408907.html

Note that you have two choices only, to get your IT team to open access to the library, or to download the files for manual use.

regards,

Mark

www.flashmobileblog.com

• 13. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                                  The Kraken

And that solution is totally unnacceptable. I can't get our corporate network changed without good reason and I can't give anyone a good reason to use Device Central with all the question marks and generic phone graphics everywhere. I'm sure Adobe has a very good reason for not allowing it to be downloaded, but I can't believe Adobe has no other way to get it.

Oh, and the email at the bottom of that technote is undeliverable: devices@adobe.com

• 14. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library

Hi,

Using Device Centrals update feature should be an excellent reason if you cannot do your job correctly.  Many of our largest OEM customers have enabled access on their networks, so really there should be no issue.

The alternative is to download the database manually using the steps provided. If your corporate network blocks that as well then it's surely time to speak to IT.

In the next release of the tool we have address this issue and added proxy support, for now however you can use either of those solutions.

thanks,

Mark

• 15. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                                      The Kraken

I've already put in a request, but, here again it's not about being able to do my job correctly, it's about getting buy-in. I'd like to use this tool, but if it's going to be a hassle to get going it probably won't happen. I can't wait for the next version and if I don't strike now I may not get a chance to show the benefits and we'll start using something else.

It's no real skin off my nose, but it's a big wall that I don't think is necessary.

• 16. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                                        maaarcooose

I think you're missing the point here.

If I have to access the internet through a proxy for security reasons, there is no way I can just have open access to anywhere. Yes I can make it non scanned, or not require authentication, but I still have to go through the proxy.

The solution is still unacceptable. Proxy support needs adding to ANYTHING that accesses the internet.

By the way, I know how to do my job properly. I am the IT department and anything accessing the internet has to go through the proxy server and be scanned. Unlike some companies we care about the security of our network.

!m!

• 18. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library

Hey,

I'm trying to be as helpful as possible here, if I had a magic solution then you would have it by now.  Unfortunately the two solutions provided are all that is possible, and my belief is that adding an exception to the proxy is a good interim step.

If you can't do that then we have provided a downloadable database for you to integrate manually.  But if you're proxy bans this then you have the option of transferring the database via usb stick or other means.

Like I said, in the next version we have added this support based on the feedback provided.

I hope you enjoy using Device Central.

Mark

www.flashmobileblog.com

• 19. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                                            maaarcooose

I think you still missed some of what I had said.

It doesn't seem to pick up ANY proxy information because the proxy server never even gets a hit on it.

We run with our proxy on port 3128 not 80. If it at least picked up the info but didn't authenticate, I could get round the problem by adding the exception, but it doesn't even do that.

!m!

• 20. Re: Unable to connect to Online Device Library
                                              PaulHinrich Community Member

Hi

I am having the exact problem. I have installed Flash CS4 but get the same message about not being able to connect to the Device Central Online Library.

Hope theres someone out there to help me.

Paul