• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp Server Licences

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have three authors, who will be developing help on three different machines.

How many Robohelp Server licenses do we need to purchase? Do we need just one, or one for each machine (3 in total)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only need one RH Server licence in addition to the three RH (client) licences your authors already have. The RH Server licence is for the installation of the RH Server application on the server you will use to host the help. All your authors do is publish the help using the "normal" RH application to a server location. They don't need a RH Server licence to do so.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

We do not currently have any up to date Robohelp licences.

When you refer to a 'client' license is this the same thing as basic Robohelp 8?

Does this mean that if I need the features only available with Robohelp Server we need to purchase one Robohelp Server license and three basic Robohelp licenses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly it. You're right on both counts.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Methinks this thread needs some clarification. You first asked about multiple authors and RoboHelp Server. Does this mean you think Source Control (sharing of projects) needs RoboHelp Server? If that's what you are thinking, it doesn't. RoboHelp Server is an entirely different animal. It's purpose is to allow seamless and automatic merging of project outputs so one help system appears to be used, but consists of two or more. It also provides reporting capabilities. (Which topic is the most popular? Which topic gets no hits?).

If you are concerned about sharing projects, you are talking about RoboSource Control. RoboSource control ships with RoboHelp and provides a database where you store proejcts. The projects and topics are checked in and out and the product manages control so you don't accidentally overwrite each other's work as you work with projects.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch Rick. Robert if you need more info on RH Server and the source control package shipped with RH you can start here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2009 Jun 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Colum.

The main reason I am looking at Robohelp Server, (as apposed to basic Robohelp) is that I need to publish help files to Windows 2008 Server, Windows Vista and they must also run on an .net 3.5 application. I have a separate thread running about this issue, but it does appear that you cannot get this functionality with basic Robohelp.

Initially, I will be the only one producing help screens. The other two authors will need access at a later date.

From what you have said, and from the other helpful replies, it means my company initially needs one Robohelp Server 8 and one basic Robohelp licence just for me only. When the other two authors are ready to produce help screens, another two basic Robohelp licences will be needed (but no more Robohelp Server Licences).

Can someone please confirm that this is correct?

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert.

That's exactly right. Think of the server is terms of a network. Here I have a personalised network drive that I can use to store data that needs to be seen by other company employees. I have read/write access to that and can do pretty much anything in it. Other users only have read access to it. Similarly I have read access to their network drive. All this setup and access is controlled by a network administrator.

The RH server works in the same way. A single administrator lience is required to setup the sites that your authors publish. That single licence can also control the users that can administer the RH Server. You may want all your users to have access but we only have three of us and only one of those is an author - me! Once the site is set up, each of the authors can publish the output using the standard RH licences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm sure my fellow Adobe Community Experts will cringe here.

You don't need the RoboHelp Server package to achieve your goals. Basic RoboHelp will allow you to create many outputs. WebHelp and FlashHelp are Web Based outputs and will run on a server just fine. I'm not seeing anything listed in your list of requirements that is screaming you must purchase RoboHelp Server to do what you need.

Don't get me wrong here. RoboHelp Server is a great product and Adobe would love to sell it to you, but it will add a layer of complexity to your work. This means more software to be installed (and maintained) by your Web Admin staff. More places to look and be suspect with when things go wrong.

You really need to scrutinize things and be 100% certain you need the features offered by RoboHelp Server before you decide to spend the additional money and insert the additional complexity introduced by RoboHelp Server.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2009 Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick

Thanks for your email.

I had an online chat with an Adobe person yesterday. He said that help screens generated using basic Robohelp will run on XP, Vista and with a .net 3.5 application. However they will apparently (according to him) NOT work with Windows 2008 Server.

If you purchase the Robohelp Server 8, the help screens will run on XP, Vista, Windows 2008 Server and with a .net 3.5 application.

I am going to download a trial version of basic Robohelp 8 and test this out.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post back your results.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

I will let you know.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp