• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-sizing popup in RoboHelp 8 not the same as 7

Jun 11, 2009 Jun 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 7

I just upgraded from version 7 to 8.  I used the Display in auto-sizing popup feature to link to topics in version 7.   When you click on a link in Version 7 the pop up window has a scroll bar for the user to scroll down to see all the information.  See attached image. In Version 8 you cannot see the scroll bar. It's push off the right-hand side of the screen.  What is causing this? Can it be fized?

Thank You

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If only we could see the second image.

It's really frustrating to know an image is there but not see it. There are other ways of sharing images with us. Instead of attaching them you are able to insert them inline so they appear right inside your post!

tmp1.png

Just use the camera icon.

tmp2.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

autopopupscrollbar7.png

scrollbar8cutoff.png

Here are two pictures.  Thanks for letting me how to insert them.   If you click on the first word of the hyperlink sentence the scroll bar will show.  If you click in the middle of a hyerlink sentence the scroll bar won't show.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

autopopupscrollbar7.png

This is the picture with the scroll bar on the right I meant to send. This is version 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I can't help but to notice that the image with the missing scroll bar contains a scroll bar across the bottom. Does the popup appear with the vertical scroll bar if you scroll the page to the right?

Note that I'm not suggesting you should find this behavior to be acceptable and you should ignore it, but it may be a work around until we figure out a way to fix it (or until the developers issue a fix).

In the mean time, you should consider filiing a bug report on it.

Click here to visit the Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on the scroll bar at the bottom the pop up window disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2009 Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did some tests in RH8 and it all worked as it should.

Have you tried importing the two topics into a new project and testing the popup in that?

Not quite sure where that will get us in fixing things but let's worry about that when we get there.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded another project and have the same problem with the auto-sizing box cutting off the scroll bar.  In version 7 the user could click on an image and use the scroll bar to see more informaton (Frist image). In version 8 the scroll bar is cut off (Second image).  When you try to scroll to the right on the bottom to see the scroll bar the pop up goes away.    What is causing this?

ver7autosizexample.png

ver8autosizecutoff.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you now try what I suggested? I am trying to identify if this is going wrong during the upgrade. Creating a new project is different to upgrading.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to my colleague Peter's excellent advice, you may also find you need to click Tools > Upgrade DHTML Effects in Topics... for the upgraded projects.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I sent in a bug report like you suggested and they responded that there is a bug. See their response.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reporting this. It is a bug in RH8 and we are looking into fixing as soon as possible.

Regards,

Vivek.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2009 Jun 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are able to wait for the fix, that's OK. Otherwise I still suggest trying it out in a new, not upgraded project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am waiting for the fix. Due to work volume I had to go back to version 7. How long to fixes usually take?

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is a piece of string?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awwwww, man! Don't string me along like that! It's just twisted and gnarly and all knotted up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2009 Jul 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're seeing the same issue with multiple help projects that were upgraded to RoboHelp 8.

It seems to be an issue with eHlpDhtml.js. As a temporary workaround, we're replacing this file with an older version of eHlpDhtml.js (from RH7) after generating the help. Then popups display correctly. (If you use DHTML features other than popups, you might not want to do this. Popups might behave, but other features might break if they rely on the version 8 code.)

There's no way to replace the eHlpDhtml.js file in the source folder because RoboHelp 8 will just overwrite it with the newer version.

A minor issue, but it would be great to have it fixed. RoboHelp 8 is such a great product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2009 Jul 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are really sure about using the version 7 ehlpdhtm.js, you can put the robo7 version in the directory's <robo directory>\Robohelp and <robo directory>\Robohtml. Robohelp will use the script in that directory. Always make a backup of the original ehlpdhtm.js!

I personally use a php-script to copy some modified files from a network directory in my output folder. This way you don't have to overwrite any robohelp source files and still have the benefit of using your own files.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2009 Jul 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, Willam! Thanks for the tip.

-Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I would just like to add that this issue also applies to popups that are sized to specific dimensions using the "Display in custom-sized popup" link option. In RH8, our fixed-size popups are not true to their RH7 counterparts. They are larger in both width and length, often (always?) placing the scrolling components out of view and inaccessible, as already described.

William's temporary 'fix' of copying over the RH7 version of ehlpdhtm.js does work, but, as already suggested, who knows what other issue this may cause.

So the question apparently remains, "how long is a piece of string?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2009 Aug 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all,

I have made some changes to ehlpdhtm.js file and now the clipping of popup isssue has been resolved.

I am attaching the ehlpdhtm.js file. you need to copy this file in your output folder and rename it to ehlpdhtm.js.

Note: This is still under development, and you should make backup of your project before going ahead with this change.

Please report back, whether this fix the clipping issue in popup or not, or if you find any other side effect of this change.

-Praful Jain

Adobe RoboHelp Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all,

I have made some more changes to the javascript code to fix the related links menu and see also menu placement issue as well. This will fix the clipping issue in pop up dialogs which appears in IE mostly.

I am attaching the updated file, again, please use it at your own risk, this is not a official patch, just wanted to help all out.

Please follow the steps given below

1. Generate the webhelp output for your project.
  2. Open the webhelp output folder and rename ehlpdhtm.js file to any unique name like org_ehlpdhtm.js.
  3. Copy the attached ehlpdhtm.txt file in the webhelp output folder.
  4. Rename the ehlpdhtm.txt file to ehlpdhtm.js file.
  5. Done

Try running all your poup/related links/see also issues and let me know, whether this code change helps you guys or not.

Hope to see some positive news.

-Praful Jain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Praful Jain,

Thanks for going to the thread below and connecting it to this discussion.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2207682

It sounds like your changes to ehlpdtm.js may solve my problem with the related links (see also) menu. Before I start testing, I wanted to mention that I am using RH7. It appears, based on this thread, that the changes you made are for RH8. Do you think your file will work with RH7?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Praful Jain

Please ignore my earlier question about RH7. I am using RH8. Guess it's too early in the day; I am not thinking clearly. I am on my way to testing your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Praful Jain,

You asked for feedback regarding the use of the modified ehlpdhtm.js file. I apologize if the post is thought to be lengthy, but the details may be important.

I tested your file in relation to the location of the see also/related topics links/menu position (issue in thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/2207682#2207682) and the scroll bar clipping issue.

I stored the file in the web help output folder as you suggested. Each time I generated the output, I had to replace the file in the output folder.

I stored the file in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML. This seems to have eliminated the need to replace the file in the output folder each time. It’s important to note that the location may be different for other people. I have not seen any other problems with this approach. If there are known problems with storing the modified file here, please let me know.

The location of the see also links menu is much improved. I did notice some (more) strange behavior. On some links, the popup menu appears just below the bottom edge of the button and almost out of sight below the edge of the browser window. You can see just enough of the top edge of the menu to know it’s there. It’s easy enough to scroll and see the complete menu and much better than the menu appearing at the top of the topic. In some instances, the menu is centered on the button, making it easier to see more items in the menu and know the menu is present. The number of items in the menu is the same in both instances. I have checked the placement and format of the button in both topics. Everything seems to be consistent.

As for the (web help) scroll bar displayed in auto-sizing popups, I noticed a couple of instances of the vertical scroll bar still being hidden. However, I could not recreate the behavior every time I opened the popup. I did find that the position of the popup was somewhat dependent on where you click the link, that is, the position of the pointer. If you click the first letter in the link, the popup is placed closer to the left side of the browser window. Clicking the last letter in the link displayed the popup closer to the right side of the window. In some cases, the vertical scroll bar was hidden.

I noticed also that the bottom of the popup extended below the bottom edge of the browser, which prevented me from scrolling to the bottom of the popup topic. Clicking the browser scroll bar to move the window to see the popup scroll bar closes the popup.

I could resolve the issues of not seeing the popup scroll bars using the mouse wheel to scroll vertically/horizontally. While this may not work for all, at least it may work for most people.

I noticed in HTML help, that the scroll bar in the popup could be hidden as well, even when using the modified file. I noticed that the position of the mouse, as explained earlier, is even more important in HTML help. It seems that every time you click near the end of the link, the vertical scroll bar is hidden. If you click near the beginning of the link, there is no problem. Again, using the mouse wheel, while a bother, you can bring the popup’s scroll bars into view. Another thought, is that the typical visitor may not know there is additional content and may not use the wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Cal,

Thanks for detailed information. This will surely help me in fine tuning the fix. I will get back with more refined solution.

Stay Tuned in

-Praful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp