• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp Editing Process

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2008 Jan 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can any of you share how your companies handle the editing of RoboHelp produced content? We have an editing team, and are trying to figure out the best mode of delivery...as well as the best method of collaboration between us and them. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reviews from my development and training teams, I use a double-barreled approach. I send them a .chm and a printed version in Word. I generally do the print doc for subsets of the help, and create the .chm for the whole thing. The .chm is for context; the printed doc is for editing and comments, using Track Changes in Word.

A side benefit of the Word tracking process is that multiple readers can send a single version around with each one adding his/her own changes - saves them time and repetition, and makes my editing a lot faster.

A little "gotcha" to remember - if you don't have all your topics in the help TOC, you need to put them in the printed doc. You do this on the same tab where you select TOC books to include - check the "Show all topics" box on the left, and in the left pane, scroll down below the TOC to display your project folders. You can then find the topics to move over to the right pane (the Chapter Layout of the print doc).

Maybe everybody else knew about this - I just found out (after how many years?)

HTH,
Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We occasionally use the same type of review process, with one caveat.

If some reviewers have "smart quotes" enabled on their machines, importing or copy/pasting text that they have added can be problematic, as discussed in this forum many times. Just be aware...

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On thing to watch with Show All Topics. It does just that including any that are caught by the build expresssion, but it won't print those ones.

If you switch from the TOC view to the folders view, you see only the topics that will be printed if included. The idea of Show All Topics is if you are hunting around for a topic you cannot find, you turn that on, see what you want, and then realise why it is not listed. It makes some sense.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 31, 2008 Jan 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a print setup with topics on the right side ("print these") that will get snagged by the conditional build expression. Those items arre either grayed out on the right or have a broken icon, or both. I can't remember exactly. That's your warning you won't see them in print.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2009 Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our RH7 help projects can have over a thousand topics. I'm looking for an online review process where the help author can send a single help topic (or just a few) to another writer for review -- kind of like "Track Changes" but in HTML. It must be possible for the reviewer to both suggest changes and offer comments. Does anybody know of a tool for doing this in HTML texts? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to upgrade to RH8 you'll have precisely this functionality. You output to PDF, send it to the reviewer who makes their changes, you import the PDF and the reviewers' comments are displayed for you to accept/reject.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need more than RH8. See this link.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/8.0/RoboHTML/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c1ec-7ffd.html

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see that Acrobat is also needed. No problem. Thank you.

Well, we'll certainly test this. It would be nice to have a couple of options to choose from, so if anybody has another suggestion, please post it.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed the help topic is in the Integrating with Adobe Technical Communication Suite section of the help so not sure if it works with standalone RH.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have used the Adobe review process for inital publications of Help projects.  Is there a way to track changes within RH8 so that multiple authors are able to view these changes?  Maybe a report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp